Seemingly Conflicting Curvature Observations in the Scottish Islands [Misidentified Islands]

Gallso

Photo experiments from the Minch Sea, Scotland.

Took photos and videos whilst traveling from Oban to Barra ferry and vice versa. Height above sea level approximately 50 feet.

Photo's taken over distances up to 80 miles away from observed islands and hills in both the Outer and Inner Hebrides.

Distances calculated from Google Earth.

Interestingly enough, Isle of Barra (facing due West) does indeed recede (as curvature equations would predict) into the sea. Island gradually disappears until major hill peaks can only be seen. Furthest photo is at a distance of 42 miles.

However, when looking North towards Lewis & Harris (70 to 80 miles away), one can clearly see the island which defies all logic. Highest peak is at 2622 feet. The entire island should have disappeared over the horizon.

First photo attached shows Lewis & Harris, Isle of Skye and Rum taken 15 minutes after leaving Castlebay on Barra.
P8020077Z.JPG

Second photo shows Barra taken from 42 miles away. Can clearly see curvature effect compared to third photo.
P8020235Z.JPG
I have photos from different ferry positions and panorama videos to prove my point also!

Any clue as to what is going on here?
P8020092Z.JPG
Image 2.png

Attachments

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Staff member
Having been to that part of the world, I think that the prominent triangular peak at the centre of the left-hand landmass (under the "a" of "Harris") is Healabhal Bheag (one of "MacLeod's Tables"). The cluster of peaks that were labelled as "Isle of Skye" is definitely the Cuillin Hills.

Gallso

Having been to that part of the world, I think that the prominent triangular peak at the centre of the left-hand landmass (under the "a" of "Harris") is Healabhal Bheag (one of "MacLeod's Tables"). The cluster of peaks that were labelled as "Isle of Skye" is definitely the Cuillin Hills.
Correct Trailblazer. I do see the flat table in the last photo. Proves curvature!! Good.

Gallso

This is a really good example of proving curvature. To physically see the Isle of Barra lower behind the horizon as the distance from the island is increased was great to experience. A single photo from a point on land is not enough as we can get mirages etc.

I do thank Mick and Trailblazer for correctly identifying my photo as being Skye. Now, if only I had had an old fashioned compass at the time, (or a phone with a built in compass) I would not have been thrown off base.

I'm glad I joined this forum.

Cheers, Paul

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Balance NASA photo captures strange bright light seemingly coming out of Mars General Discussion 39
Alchemist Please Debunk: The Drills (conflicting info from 2 reputable sources) Boston Marathon Bombings 13
C Dodgy 'Earth curvature calculators' Flat Earth 4
H Illusions of Curvature - RC Boat Hidden on Small Pond Flat Earth 10
H The German WWII "Knickebein" Navigation System and the Curvature of the Earth Flat Earth 11
Stefan Leahu A real-life 2D curvature analogy and a few thoughts regarding scale Flat Earth 2
Stefan Leahu Using railways to view curvature Flat Earth 3
Stefan Leahu Proving curvature: a distant island, viewed from different heights Flat Earth 0
T Observations of a Wind Farm Over the Curve of The Earth Flat Earth 0
Kriss3d Can You Validate Earth's Curvature with a Drone? Flat Earth 14
MisterB Debunked: Isle of Man from Blackpool at water level proves flat earth [refraction] Flat Earth 19
Neil Obstat Claim: zooming in on setting sun proves flat earth Flat Earth 23
danno Using a very long water level to measure Earth's curvature Flat Earth 16
George Tasker Using pin hole lenses to debunk CGI Rebuttals of Photos of Earth Curvature Flat Earth 7
Soundly A Side View of the Curvature of the Earth at Lake Pontchartrain Flat Earth 55
R Can 3 towers placed equidistant at the same latitude demonstrate curvature? Flat Earth 2
Laser Water Level Showing Mountain and Horizon Dip Due to Curvature Flat Earth 32
StarGazer Claim: First Image of Space Taken from V-2 Rocket Proves the Earth is Flat Flat Earth 17
PeteShasta Observations of Mallorca Island and the Earth's Curvature Flat Earth 28
Mick West Earth Curvature Simulation by Walter Bislins Flat Earth 9
Mick West Soundly Proving the Curvature of the Earth at Lake Pontchartrain Flat Earth 91
T FE balloon video curvature analysis using Blender Flat Earth 4
Mick West Curvature and Refraction in Surveying and Leveling Through History. Old Books, etc. Flat Earth 14
Mick West Explained: Why a Spirit Level on a Plane Does Not Show Curvature "Corrections" Flat Earth 98
Kriss3d Problem with earth curvature calculator - Hope for revised version ? Flat Earth 5
jeranism Explained: Observations of Canigou, Curvature of the Earth & Atmospheric Refraction Flat Earth 158
sirtwentythree San Mateo Bridge to Bay Bridge 17 mile curvature test Flat Earth 36
wonderland78 Help with a debate about curvature and distance calculations Flat Earth 30
Yolo fish Demonstrating the curvature of the Earth by Flying in a "Straight Line" Near the Poles Flat Earth 33
Kriss3d Curvature of earth - the definition Flat Earth 11
Mick West Views of Toronto from Hamilton and Fort Niagara Illustrate Earth's Curvature Flat Earth 44
Greylandra Can you detect the curvature of the Earth with a taut line 3 miles long? [No] Flat Earth 55
DarkStar Earth curvature: Differences with Sphere/Ellipsoid/Geoid models for Visibility etc Flat Earth 8
huwp Ships beyond the horizon - Earth curvature demonstration Flat Earth 7
Mick West Video of New Orleans Superdome Illustrating Curvature and Refraction Flat Earth 5
Trailblazer Greenwich Meridian Laser - Can it Demonstrate Curvature? Flat Earth 20
Bass In Your Face Stephen Hawking's "Genius" Helicopter Demonstration of Lake Curvature Flat Earth 27
Clouds Givemethewillies Measuring the Curvature of the Horizon with a Level Flat Earth 121
Bass In Your Face Curvature Experiment showing relation between x-axis and z-axis Flat Earth 15
Sandor Szekely Atmospheric sunlight refraction arguments on the Eratosthenes triangulation method Flat Earth 37
Mick West Folsom Lake Photographs Demonstrating the Curvature of the Earth Flat Earth 36
Sandor Szekely Lake Balaton Laser experiment to determine the curvature of the Earth, if any. Flat Earth 1027
Rory Does the Earth's Curvature Vary with Latitude? [No, not significantly] Flat Earth 34
Vogon Infra red cameras and curvature? Flat Earth 11
Vogon Crepuscular angles and the flat idea. Flat Earth 48
David Ridlen Earth curvature refraction experiments - debunking flat/concave Earth Flat Earth 344
Related Articles

Related Articles