Problems with Identifying Contrails in FlightRadar24

I followed the advice for a filter on FR24 and was able to do that easily. It's PlaneFinder that I can't get it to work.
Thanks, still!

I already have a GPS 10mhz disciplined receiver.....so another antenna wouldn't hurt .

Now how do we get real-time weather Sounding data ??.....

(back to topic)

Let one off yourself, Ahem..

http://windsond.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
That's very cool, pity it only goes to 9000m (29,500 feet). It could potentially detect conditions for aerodynamic contrails though.
20161011-081947-k427k.jpg

Recovery would be hard here. It would land in a mountain forest.

M Bornong

Senior Member.

And if you live in an area with military activity then you'll probably see plenty of trails from untracked planes. The racetrack loop you mention sounds like it could well be one of those.

Sometimes the contractors to the military show up. During the week this area is void of commercial traffic. China Lake Naval Air Weapons Station and Edwards Air Force Base use this air space for practice. A buddy of mine has some property below this race track. Looks like he is getting a good show from some fighter jets today.

Omega10.jpg

Lisa P

I am having trouble Id'ing a jet on flightradar24! Can anyone help? The flight was 6th Dec at approx 12:30pm S.W. Of San Jose. 4 engines. It's not my photo and I Have asked they check the time stamp.... Will be back to provide the link as I don't know how to work this iPad! Can't find how to copy paste!!!

Trailspotter

Senior Member.
I am having trouble Id'ing a jet on flightradar24! Can anyone help? The flight was 6th Dec at approx 12:30pm S.W. Of San Jose. 4 engines. It's not my photo and I Have asked they check the time stamp.... Will be back to provide the link as I don't know how to work this iPad! Can't find how to copy paste!!!
Can you be more specific? Where was the photo taken? What was the time zone?

PS The only four-engine plane that passed by San Jose, CA at about 12:30 PM local time (PST, or 20:30 UTC) was the Korean A380 KAL18:
Screen Shot 2016-12-07 at 12.44.46.png

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Staff member
Can you be more specific? Where was the photo taken? What was the time zone?
San Jose CA, I assume, which is UTC-8. So that would be 20:30UTC on Dec 6.

This A380 passed by 10 mins or so before that:

upload_2016-12-7_12-46-35.png

That's the only four-engined plane at contrail altitude that I can see in the vicinity at that time.

Lisa P

[broken link removed]
Not having much joy with my phone sorry. I was taking away 8 hours you are adding.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trailblazer

Staff member
[broken link removed]
I was taking away 8 hours you are adding.
The simplest way to remember is "America, add" - times in the Americas are earlier than GMT/UTC, so you have to add hours to get the universal time used by plane finders. Times in most of the rest of the world are later than GMT/UTC, so you have to take off hours.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
The simplest way to remember is "America, add" - times in the Americas are earlier than GMT/UTC, so you have to add hours to get the universal time used by plane finders. Times in most of the rest of the world are later than GMT/UTC, so you have to take off hours.

To be failsafe I always ask google, "[time] [location] in UTC" [ATTACH=full]23260[/ATTACH] Check the day of the week, as it might be the next day. If it's PM make sure you add 12 (8PM -> 20hrs)[/time]

Lisa P

Thanks for the help. I am lost without my computer (it died) and favourite links and am useless on the borrowed iPad even with googles help.
I think it is the flight just before the one above AAR201 as the livery appears dark blue . I can't print screen can someone please put that flight up and a shot of the link below showing the livery. The original photo is on a chemtrail page and I asked the guy if he had details of the flight. He didn't but was happy for me to help.

Pic of livery,
http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?181035-OZ201-Los-Angeles-Intl-To-Incheon-Intl

Last edited:

Trailspotter

Senior Member.
Thanks for the help. I am lost without my computer (it died) and favourite links and am useless on the borrowed iPad even with googles help.
I think it is the flight just before the one above AAR201 as the livery appears dark blue . I can't print screen can someone please put that flight up and a shot of the link below showing the livery. The original photo is on a chemtrail page and I asked the guy if he had details of the flight. He didn't but was happy for me to help.

Pic of livery,
http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?181035-OZ201-Los-Angeles-Intl-To-Incheon-Intl
Are you talking about the same plane as in your above post? AAR201 (another A380 on the same route) passed by San Jose on December 6 at about 20:10 UTC (1:10 PM local time). Can you give us a link to the original photo, or is it on a private page?

Lisa P

Last edited:

Trailspotter

Senior Member.
Yes, here is the link scroll across as there are 3 photos. It would be 12:10 local time? https://m.facebook.com/home.php?_rd...539668&set=gm.10157875628825302&ref=bookmarks
Thanks. Here is a crop of the full-size image:
Screen Shot 2016-12-09 at 10.02.44.png
The plane is backlit and hardly discernible against the sky, but the pane's belly does look darker than the underside of the wing, which is consistent with the Asiana Airlines livery. Otherwise, the illumination of the plane and its contrail is consistent with the flight route and the sun position at the time for both AAR201 and KAL18.

Ross Marsden

Senior Member.

The plane is backlit and hardly discernible against the sky, but the pane's belly does look darker than the underside of the wing, which is consistent with the Asiana Airlines livery. Otherwise, the illumination of the plane and its contrail is consistent with the flight route and the sun position at the time for both AAR201 and KAL18.

There is a touch of aerodynamic contrail as well as the exhaust contrails from each engine.

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
P Problems with first post not meeting posting guidelines Site Feedback & News 7
Qulaey Two problems need help debunking and debating tips? please. Flat Earth 9
Mick West Problems editing existing posts in Chrome Site Feedback & News 2
Mick West Email problems - you might not be getting any Site Feedback & News 7
Bill Statler "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence": practical problems using this argument Practical Debunking 3
Jason Problems with Alerts not showing up or linking to old posts Site Feedback & News 13
MikeC The problems with eye witnesses General Discussion 0
Gail Tree and other plant problems as evidence for chemtrails? Contrails and Chemtrails 153
J Cyprus financial problems General Discussion 54
GuitKitty Sign-In Problems Site Feedback & News 11
Mick West Switching to CloudFlare, any problems? Site Feedback & News 1
Jay Reynolds Silver Nanoparticles, cure-all or recipe for lung problems? Health and Quackery 0
B problems at home? Contrails and Chemtrails 8
M Identifying this triangular UFO Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 32
Stefan Leahu Help identifying lights on the ocean surface, Pacific Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 3
jarlrmai Resource for identifying the area of the night sky shown in a photo Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
J Identifying the Mountains in JTolan's "Rocky Mountains" IR Video Flat Earth 31
Astro Predicting and identifying all future SDO eclipses Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Astro Identifying Sun and Moon Transits Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
ki_cz Help identifying odd flights Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 8
Trailblazer Identifying: faked image of Earth from space (artwork, not "official") Flat Earth 4
Lisa P Identifying a plane over San Francisco [B99988 - Gulfstream GL650] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 20
JesseCuster Identifying satellites Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 16
Mick West Identifying Landing Lights Reported as UFOs Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 45
derrick06 Any tips for identifying CGI in fake UFO videos? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 4
M Bornong A little help identifying a flight? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 12
Mark Dobson Help identifying this object [Bolide / Meterorite] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 10
JRBids Identifying chemtrail planes Contrails and Chemtrails 11
Gunguy45 Help identifying odd clouds General Discussion 18
Mick West Three Contrails "Descending" over Denver on Jan 31, 2021 [Military, C-17A Globemasters] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 1
S Lasers Making Contrails Contrails and Chemtrails 1
Mick West Curved and Looped Contrails in SoCal [San Diego Delays] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 1
Mick West Crazy Contrails from LAX Ground Stop Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 1
D Explained: Photo of 747 with Contrails Only on One Side [Fake, April Fool] Contrails and Chemtrails 21
Mick West Infrared Photos of Clouds and Contrails Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 17
Mick West Moonlight Contrails Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 1
Mick West YouTube adds Encyclopedia Britannica article on Contrails to "Chemtrail" Videos Contrails and Chemtrails 18
Mick West Aerodynamic Contrails at 27,000 to 31,000 feet near Sacramento Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 2
Trailblazer Sharp boundary between contrails and clear sky Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 1
Mick West Plane Flies in Front of Super Blue Blood Moon Eclipse Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 1
Clouds Givemethewillies Contrail lobes or mamma? The importance of correct terminology Contrails and Chemtrails 0
cloudspotter How Changing Weather Conditions Make Contrails Show Up Contrails and Chemtrails 9
Trailspotter Contrail cross over Tasmania and spinning contrails over Victoria Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 0
Mick West Explained: Manurewa NZ, 'Extra-terrestrial' Fireball Jumps Up [Contrail, Altitude change] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
Mick West Halifax, NS: Regularly Spaced Gaps in Contrails [Ethiopian Flight 501] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 47
Mick West Some Perspective on Perspective Foreshortening - Contrails and UFOs Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 1
Mick West Explained: Viral Video of 787 Leaving Thick Contrails with Forced Perspective Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 1
Mick West A Plane Flying Across the Face of the Sun, with Contrails [Virgin Flight 353] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
TEEJ Contrails filmed from commercial flight over the Irish Sea - 6th May 2017 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 2
ki_cz Contrails 'breaking up' clouds Contrails and Chemtrails 10
Related Articles

Related Articles