Problems with Identifying Contrails in FlightRadar24

I followed the advice for a filter on FR24 and was able to do that easily. It's PlaneFinder that I can't get it to work.
Thanks, still!

I already have a GPS 10mhz disciplined receiver.....so another antenna wouldn't hurt .

Now how do we get real-time weather Sounding data ??.....

(back to topic)

Let one off yourself, Ahem..

http://windsond.com/

Windsond is a weather balloon system for an immediate view of local conditions at different altitudes. The focus on portability and low operating costs makes it perfect for frequent use in the field.

• Uniquely small size
  • Save precious helium and canister size
  • Real-time wind, temperature, humidity profiles
  • Predict and control landing location
  • Reusable sondes for best economy
  • Reliable sonde recovery even days later
  • User-friendly ground station software

Content from External Source

Last edited by a moderator:
That's very cool, pity it only goes to 9000m (29,500 feet). It could potentially detect conditions for aerodynamic contrails though.
20161011-081947-k427k.jpg

Recovery would be hard here. It would land in a mountain forest.

And if you live in an area with military activity then you'll probably see plenty of trails from untracked planes. The racetrack loop you mention sounds like it could well be one of those.

Sometimes the contractors to the military show up. During the week this area is void of commercial traffic. China Lake Naval Air Weapons Station and Edwards Air Force Base use this air space for practice. A buddy of mine has some property below this race track. Looks like he is getting a good show from some fighter jets today.

Omega10.jpg

I am having trouble Id'ing a jet on flightradar24! Can anyone help? The flight was 6th Dec at approx 12:30pm S.W. Of San Jose. 4 engines. It's not my photo and I Have asked they check the time stamp.... Will be back to provide the link as I don't know how to work this iPad! Can't find how to copy paste!!!

I am having trouble Id'ing a jet on flightradar24! Can anyone help? The flight was 6th Dec at approx 12:30pm S.W. Of San Jose. 4 engines. It's not my photo and I Have asked they check the time stamp.... Will be back to provide the link as I don't know how to work this iPad! Can't find how to copy paste!!!
Can you be more specific? Where was the photo taken? What was the time zone?

PS The only four-engine plane that passed by San Jose, CA at about 12:30 PM local time (PST, or 20:30 UTC) was the Korean A380 KAL18:
Screen Shot 2016-12-07 at 12.44.46.png

Last edited:
Can you be more specific? Where was the photo taken? What was the time zone?
San Jose CA, I assume, which is UTC-8. So that would be 20:30UTC on Dec 6.

This A380 passed by 10 mins or so before that:

upload_2016-12-7_12-46-35.png

That's the only four-engined plane at contrail altitude that I can see in the vicinity at that time.

[broken link removed]
Not having much joy with my phone sorry. I was taking away 8 hours you are adding.

Last edited by a moderator:
[broken link removed]
I was taking away 8 hours you are adding.
The simplest way to remember is "America, add" - times in the Americas are earlier than GMT/UTC, so you have to add hours to get the universal time used by plane finders. Times in most of the rest of the world are later than GMT/UTC, so you have to take off hours.

The simplest way to remember is "America, add" - times in the Americas are earlier than GMT/UTC, so you have to add hours to get the universal time used by plane finders. Times in most of the rest of the world are later than GMT/UTC, so you have to take off hours.

To be failsafe I always ask google, "[time] [location] in UTC" [ATTACH=full]23260[/ATTACH] Check the day of the week, as it might be the next day. If it's PM make sure you add 12 (8PM -> 20hrs)[/time]

Thanks for the help. I am lost without my computer (it died) and favourite links and am useless on the borrowed iPad even with googles help.
I think it is the flight just before the one above AAR201 as the livery appears dark blue . I can't print screen can someone please put that flight up and a shot of the link below showing the livery. The original photo is on a chemtrail page and I asked the guy if he had details of the flight. He didn't but was happy for me to help.

Pic of livery,
http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?181035-OZ201-Los-Angeles-Intl-To-Incheon-Intl

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. I am lost without my computer (it died) and favourite links and am useless on the borrowed iPad even with googles help.
I think it is the flight just before the one above AAR201 as the livery appears dark blue . I can't print screen can someone please put that flight up and a shot of the link below showing the livery. The original photo is on a chemtrail page and I asked the guy if he had details of the flight. He didn't but was happy for me to help.

Pic of livery,
http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?181035-OZ201-Los-Angeles-Intl-To-Incheon-Intl
Are you talking about the same plane as in your above post? AAR201 (another A380 on the same route) passed by San Jose on December 6 at about 20:10 UTC (1:10 PM local time). Can you give us a link to the original photo, or is it on a private page?

Last edited:
Yes, here is the link scroll across as there are 3 photos. It would be 12:10 local time? https://m.facebook.com/home.php?_rd...539668&set=gm.10157875628825302&ref=bookmarks
Thanks. Here is a crop of the full-size image:
Screen Shot 2016-12-09 at 10.02.44.png
The plane is backlit and hardly discernible against the sky, but the pane's belly does look darker than the underside of the wing, which is consistent with the Asiana Airlines livery. Otherwise, the illumination of the plane and its contrail is consistent with the flight route and the sun position at the time for both AAR201 and KAL18.

The plane is backlit and hardly discernible against the sky, but the pane's belly does look darker than the underside of the wing, which is consistent with the Asiana Airlines livery. Otherwise, the illumination of the plane and its contrail is consistent with the flight route and the sun position at the time for both AAR201 and KAL18.

There is a touch of aerodynamic contrail as well as the exhaust contrails from each engine.

Back