Photos of Planes and Contrails (That you took yourself)

captfitch

Senior Member.
Ah yes... The mighty 'van. I flew one for about a year. That cargo pod is really more trouble than its worth. It can't hold much weight but it does add drag. I haven't heard of anyone ever doing water dropping from a caravan and they certainly wouldn't do it from the pod. I think it can only hold a few hundred pounds.

I like all the comments. Very creative!

Boston

There's a really simple way to settle this one, spectral analysis will tell you exactly whats in this stuff. Personally I remain unconvinced of any evidence of the so called con trails. I think Mick did a good job on this one.

Show us a spectral polimetric image analysis or better yet a number of them. This would prove or disprove the hypothesis pretty darn fast IMHO.

A pair of interesting contrails over Missoula. The extremely short break was odd. The fine structure of the other was amazing. Both ended to the west in a patch of high cirrus.
DSCN1883.JPGDSCN1891.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

captfitch

Senior Member.
I think someone flew through the first one and the second tells me things are super stable up there... The spread is possibly caused only by the plane itself?? Hard to say

Pete Tar

Senior Member.
Why would a plane need headlights?
The other night it was kind of hazy and a plane flew past with a light beam in front it, obviously from it's strong lights. But how do headlights on a plane serve any purpose, everything's lit up on the ground isn't it?

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Why would a plane need headlights?
The other night it was kind of hazy and a plane flew past with a light beam in front it, obviously from it's strong lights. But how do headlights on a plane serve any purpose, everything's lit up on the ground isn't it?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_landing_lights

scombrid

Senior Member.
However, the brightness of the landing lights makes them useful for increasing the visibility of an aircraft to other pilots, and so pilots are often encouraged to keep their landing lights on while in flight below certain altitudes or in crowded airspaces.
Was flying from Albany to Charlotte a few years ago. T-storm shut down the airport about the time we were over Greensboro. We held between Lake Norman and Greensboro for almost 2 hours (along with a lot of other planes. It looked like a NASCAR oval up there with planes flying in circles above and below us). When the airport finally opened back up it was a case of GET EVERYBODY ON THE GROUND NOW after that long hold (flights coming in from across country didn't have enough fuel to hold for 2 hours and got diverted, including the one that was supposed to pick me up and take me to Orlando. It had landed in Memphis and I had to wait for it to refuel and then re-crew once it made CLT. It was a long night). When we hit the ground the taxiways were full. Nobody was taking off. The runways were all open for incoming. When we turned for the gate I got a view back up the runway and it looked like an alien invasion with the runway lights from all the incoming flights.

TWCobra

Senior Member.
We switch the landing lights on, night or day, generally below 10,000 AGL. They are used as anti-collision lights until we get to about 200 feet at night where they illuminate the touchdown area, generally to help depth perception and make sure the runway is clear of obstructions.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
The second image there shows an interesting optical illusion. It seems like the contrail is below the cloud layer, and yet you can tell from the shadow that it's actually above it.

A380

Senior Member.
It seems like the contrail is below the cloud layer, and yet you can tell from the shadow that it's actually above it.
Both shadows are from the same contrail:

Good to see are the different heights of different cloud layers.

There is not a shadow, but it was a distrail:

In a contrail on the left side the right sun dog can be seen.

Drew

Heyo... been a long while since I've been to Metabunk, but I have something to add that made me think of you guys:

On 12/21 I was on Roosevelt Island in the East River alongside Manhattan at Four Freedoms park. Saw a great "inverse contrail", which, sadly I was only able to photograph on an iPhone 4...

photo 1.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 2.JPG
(Upper right, in comparison to a standard contrail)

I will admit — I am 0% inclined to credit this toward woo, it's just something I've never seen before and I'm curious how these form. It didn't appear to be a shadow, and it didn't seem to be aligned with any of the familiar high-altitude flight patterns, and there was no immediate high-altitude plane in the vicinity along that bearing (but it's not like I know all the high-altitude patterns over NYC by heart). Anyway, I'm curious to know more about it.

But for the woo-inclined, here is a photo of a "contrail" over United Nations Headquarters, on the Winter Solstice. :]

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

A380

Senior Member.

A380

Senior Member.
Is it just disturbed/warmer air/combustion products left in the wake of a long-departed plane?
In this case, the particles from the exhaust gases, can freeze the moisture. This is similar to a hole punch cloud: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallstreak_hole

In Germany (and perhaps elsewhere) we have also another definition of distrail, a downwash. Here the droplets evaporate by warm air from the environment and from the exhaust gases. But that should not have been in your case.

JFDee

Senior Member.
March 2011, Sunset

View from my flat (greater Frankfurt area) to the West-Nord-West. In the line of sight it's around 150 km to the border of Luxembourg.

from_flat.jpg

Last edited:

Mackdog

Senior Member.
Plane on a street:

What exactly causes this effect? I saw something just like this a couple weeks ago and could not figure out what causes it. It was exactly the same except that the 'street' was more of a grayish color.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member

This is modified by taking the sky as the black point in setting levels. It really brings out the detail in the contrail.

KC-10FE

Senior Member.
A formation of 6 F16CM's climbing to the top of the ALTRV (Altitude Reservation) after their final refueling and pushing ahead to land in front of the tanker

F16's contrails.jpg

KC-10FE

Senior Member.
Refueling another KC-10 somewhere over the North Atlantic in IMC conditions. Note the aerodynamic contrail forming over the wing.

KC=10.jpg

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
This thread is for posting photos of planes and contrails that you take yourself, and not photos found on the internet.

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Mick West How Do You Take Good Photos of High Altitude Planes and Contrails? Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 2
Mick West Debunked: Chemtrail Plane and Other Unlabeled Photos from Facebook etc. Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 227
DasKleineTeilchen 2,400 "new" unseen 9/11 photos found at estate sale, june 2019 9/11 12
Mick West "Golden Orb" Daytime Reflective Sphere UFOs in Photos UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 42
Mick West Infrared Photos of Clouds and Contrails Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 17
chrono117 How to Debunk Flat Earth Without Relying on NASA or Photos Flat Earth 42
creatonez Explained: Why the Earth does not look oblate in photos from space Flat Earth 0
Mick West Strange Lights in Phone Photos - Flash Reflection from Window UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 0
Mick West Some New-ish WTC7 Photos (and video?) Corner Damage 9/11 6
tadaaa Debunked: Fake photos-Novichok attack Russian 'agents' (side by side gates) General Discussion 34
Priyadi Explained: Why We Don't See Satellites in Photos Taken From The ISS Flat Earth 1
Mick West WTC7 South Side Photos 9/11 2
George Tasker Using pin hole lenses to debunk CGI Rebuttals of Photos of Earth Curvature Flat Earth 7
Mick West Debunked: "FBI releases 27 classified photos of 9/11 Pentagon attacks" [Not New] 9/11 8
Mick West The P900 Rippling Orb Effect & Taking Photos of Venus Flat Earth 23
Mick West Contrails Hidden In 1950s and 1960s Family Photos Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 2
Mick West Sunset Photos with "Angel Wings" Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 6
Mick West Explaining the Ghost Boy in the Back Seat Photo with Occam's Razor UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 99
Mick West P900 Plane and Contrails Photos and Video Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 17
Mick West How to take Photos of the ISS (International Space Station) with a P900 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Jonathan Evans Explained: Jupiter Photos look the same [Composite photo] Flat Earth 5
Mick West Space Station Photos Disprove the "Flat Earth" Theory Flat Earth 110
Mick West Photos in Middelveen's & Stricker's Morgellons papers that look like Stellate Trichomes. General Discussion 4
Leifer Jet ID....the underside, from photos/videos Contrails and Chemtrails 3
G Are these old photos of contrails? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 18
MikeG Debunked: Fukushima Causing Bloody Tumors in Fish [Old Photos] Science and Pseudoscience 15
deirdre Debunked: Police took photos before attending to wounded Sandy Hook 1
Trailblazer Cloud Forms, 1949, British Air Ministry Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 2
Mick West Debunked: "Blue Marble" Photos show a Changing Earth Flat Earth 40
Tony_Sigel Debunked: Chang'e-2 photos of Alien Base on Moon [Hoax] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 14
JesseCuster Satellite photos of clouds Practical Debunking 3
MikeG Debunked: Crime Scene Photos "Prove" Sandy Hook was a Hoax Sandy Hook 107
TWCobra Madisonstar Moon posts 59 year old photo of B47's contrailing. Contrails and Chemtrails 0
Mick West Debunked: Hampton Court Ghost Photo [iPhone Panorama Glitch] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 8
WhiteTiger Explained: "Chemdust fallout" [Out of Focus Photos of dust, mist, lights, etc.] Contrails and Chemtrails 21
Redwood Debunked: Google photos show Ottawa Parliament bullet holes are fake Conspiracy Theories 115
Trailblazer Explained: Bands of colored "particles" in sky photos [digital camera artifact] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 21
Avestriel Hindu Guru Magic UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 5
L Photos of trails over Switzerland [back to the 1970s] and Chemical Analysis of Jacuzzi Cover Water Contrails and Chemtrails 18
Mick West Solved: "Alien" with "shadow" on the Moon [Debris in Camera] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 59
Cloudsorchems Lack of Contrails in Old Photos of Chicago Contrails and Chemtrails 11
Ezswo [Solved] MH-17 was 9M-MRD, so Why are there photos of 9M-MRC? ['D' partially obscured] Flight MH17 204
Mick West Debunked: Photos of Spraying out the Back of a Cargo Plane [Malaysian Cloud Seeding from C-130] Contrails and Chemtrails 4
jtmac Help me to understand - Photos and Videos with very large numbers of contrails Contrails and Chemtrails 52
Tobes Debunked: Anatomical impossibility of Jeff Bauman photos Boston Marathon Bombings 94
zebra100 Need 3/8/14 Andaman Sea Sat Photos to Verify Malaysia Woman Saw Downed MH370 Flight MH370 85
PCWilliams Debunked: MH370. Airport security photos photoshopped? [Photocopier mishap] Conspiracy Theories 13
Grieves Moon Stuff: Stereoscopic examination of Photos Conspiracy Theories 16
Mick West Photos of Clouds and Skies (That you took yourself) Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 615
Mick West Photos of Street After Impact, Before Collapse, Possible Passport 9/11 15
Related Articles

Related Articles