Photos of Planes and Contrails (That you took yourself)

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Not wanting to clutter up other threads with my photos, here's a thread just for posting your own photos of planes and contrails.

Here's one I got by accident - a turboprop leaving a quadruple helix of prop contrails.

Last edited:
Just a plane. But shows various bulges and fairings that might be interpreted as spray things:

Last edited:
New lens is a little fiddly to use, but finally figured out you need pause for a faction of a second after focussing to allow the Image Stabilization to kick in.

Contrail altitude planes come out a bit hazy, due to atmospheric conditions here at the coast.

Last edited:
I am thinking I need to start carrying my camera. The other day I noted some persistent contrails, with cirrus moving in. If one had not noticed them, they might have easily thought the contrails spread to cover the sky. I was driving in a direction that allowed me to watch them merge up.

That is a good example of seeing things you are looking for. I wouldn't have noticed that before I started posting here.

Fire near Malibu made for some nice sunsets tonight. With a few "UFO" contrails.

Last edited:
In Germany we have a citizens' initiative of chemmies. She don't know the following clouds and says "Achter" (English "Eighter"?):

We know, it's the Crow Instability, in this case from a Boeing 747. Here is one from the A380:

And "signs" at sunset:

Last edited by a moderator:
These are some pics I took in Namibia last year working on Fury Road. The greenish location is Mt Etjo, home to lions, cheetas, rhino, giraffes, elephant etc and some antelope including springbok are evident. I have a vid of the same setting with giraffe and the same contrail. The dusk setting is the coastal Namib desert, one of the most scarcely populated regions on earth. The dunes in the pic are hundreds of feet high.
I think these pics convincingly contradict any claims that trails only form over western countries with high populations.

IMG_6764.JPGIMG_6753.JPGIMG_1686.JPGDSCN2187.JPGDSCN2201.JPGDSCN2284.JPG

Virga from a contrail:

Downwash - a plane has pressed dry air from above and has so dissolved the cloud in this region:

A Boeing 737 in front of the left sun dog:

The shadow is from a contrail (right, not in the picture) and has nothing to do with the plane in the picture:

Shadows:

Iridescent clouds:

Another shadow:

This time two volumetric shadows, one from the wing, and one from the tail stabilizers.

And more specifically it's just from the plane's port (left) wing (on the right of the photo), as it's just the part in line with the shadow (and hence the sun.)

Last edited:
Here some lower contrails @ plm 30000 feet seen from my brother's garden near Maastricht (red circle flight-tracker-map); probably the two ascending KLMs from AMS/Schiphol; pics facing north-west 08-01-2012 @ 15:45h:

P1014782 (Custom).JPG

P1014783 (Custom).JPG

120108-Mssn-1526s.jpg

Jan.

Routes to Amsterdam and London are also over Berlin. That's why we sometimes have such interesting sights:

The view is to the west, from where the weather fronts are coming, and so also the humidity.

Nice pics from Berlin!

Indeed overhead to AMS (and LHR or LGW or...):

120818-BER1800-WCAM_EEZ_pijl.jpg

120818-BER1759s.jpg

Notice the slight curve in the contrail in the view eastwards that is also shown on the fliht-tracker!

Jan.

Notice the slight curve in the contrail in the view eastwards that is also shown on the fliht-tracker!

Yes, they fly from waypoint to waypoint, have requestet "directs", fly around certain weather conditions, have instructions from ATC, etc. There are various reasons. Here it is regularly AirBridge Cargo Airlines:

My Avatar is also RU/ABW, VP-BIG:

Two RAF Eurofighter Typhoons at 41,000 feet over Low Flying Area 7 in Snowdonia, Wales, UK. Noted on the radio reporting height and discussing descent to run through the low
level mountainous area. Due to lack of fuel they cancelled the low level run and continued transit back to base.

RAF Eurofighter Typhoon producing aerodynamic trails during a low level run in LFA7, Snowdonia, Wales, UK.

RAF Eurofighter Typhoon running through the low level area on a particularly wet day.

We have very boring contrails over Los Angles compared to many places. Mostly A320 and 737 sized aircraft as they are relatively short flights, mostly to/from San Diego from/to up the coast.

So most of the contrails here are smallish two-engine types, and mostly Southwest and Alaska

Last edited:
Two RAF Eurofighter Typhoons at 41,000 feet over Low Flying Area 7 in Snowdonia, Wales, UK. Noted on the radio reporting height and discussing descent to run through the low
level mountainous area. Due to lack of fuel they cancelled the low level run and continued transit back to base.

RAF Eurofighter Typhoon producing aerodynamic trails during a low level run in LFA7, Snowdonia, Wales, UK.

RAF Eurofighter Typhoon running through the low level area on a particularly wet day.

Nice pics!

I saw the pairs of contrails coming from small 1-engine planes also more often above Holland past years, not able to identify them (militairy, so not on any flight-tracker).
So You use a radiosignal to get track of them?

Jan.

You can see how regular traffic is routed around that area on the contrail map:

http://contrailscience.com/map/

Last edited:
Nice,

But could you see the EXIF-info of TEEJ's pics in order to derive the data for the accessory CS-map?
ExifViewer for Firefox doesn't show it here.

Jan.

Nice,

But could you see the EXIF-info of TEEJ's pics in order to derive the data for the accessory CS-map?
ExifViewer for Firefox doesn't show it here.

Jan.

He said it was Snowdonia, which is in the left half of that circle.

Back