Photos of Planes and Contrails (That you took yourself)

Trailspotter

Senior Member.
How did you do that! Have you mixed a FlighAware track into Google Earth? Looks cool whatever it is!
You can get the FlightAware track in KML format by clicking on the Goggle Earth link (it appears after the flight is completed):
Screen Shot 2016-10-03 at 22.20.30.png
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL405/history/20161003/0855ZZ/LFPG/KJFK
KML files of the flight tracks are also available from FR24 (only to the subscribers).

I've just opened the DAL405 file (attached) in Google Earth and looked at it from your location. The opaque (black) section is for the time interval from 10:22 to 10:23 UTC, the Sun position is at the 10:23 as well.

Attachments

• FlightAware_DAL405_LFPG_KJFK_20161003.kml
    50 KB · Views: 459
You can get the FlightAware track in KML format by clicking on the Goggle Earth link (it appears after the flight is completed):
View attachment 21784
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL405/history/20161003/0855ZZ/LFPG/KJFK
KML files of the flight tracks are also available from FR24 (only to the subscribers).

I've just opened the DAL405 file (attached) in Google Earth and looked at it from your location. The opaque (black) section is for the time interval from 10:22 to 10:23 UTC, the Sun position is at the 10:23 as well.

I worked! Thanks for teaching me a new trick.

I think I am beginning to get my head around in-line shadows.. If the plane is travelling in a straight line, the shadows are in the plane of the trail and sun. If the airplane passes over the sun at the observing position then the observer is also in that plane, and whichever way you look the trail and shadow will be in line. If the track is a curve then the shadow and trail will be in line if the tangent to the trail extrapolates back through the sun.. I think..

M Bornong

Senior Member.
A new plane in the skies. The Boeing KC-46A, being built to replace the aging KC-135's. As of May 27, 2016:
http://www.boeing.com/defense/kc-46a-pegasus-tanker/

DSCF1230b.jpg
DSCF1231b.jpg

BOE464.jpg

deirdre

Senior Member.
this looked cooler in real life (my camera sucks). "HAARP" clouds produce a morse code contrail

1:46pm
148.JPG

1:48pm

P1020804.JPG

and another plane, neat contrail shape
P1020782.JPG

and i actually got a pretty clear zoom in!
P1020784.JPG

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Although Delta 1209 is similar.

20161015-142113-e4su0.jpg

Edit: And more consistent with the overall shape and the blue paint underneath tapering to the front.

20161015-142544-raa1o.jpg

20161015-142626-mntzn.jpg

Last edited:
Not wanting to clutter up other threads with my photos, here's a thread just for posting your own photos of planes and contrails.

Here's one I got by accident - a turboprop leaving a quadruple helix of prop contrails.

Was that picture taken with your 800 mm lens? Do you remember how high up it was?

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Was that picture taken with your 800 mm lens? Do you remember how high up it was?

Yes, a 500mm lens on a Canon 7D which has a 1.6x crop (so 800mm equivalent). It was taking off from LAX, so probably under 1000 feet. Bit of crop and contrast. Here's the original overlaid with info.
20161021-055257-v9poe.jpg

Trailblazer

Staff member
Distrail over Henley this morning.

IMG_7865.JPG

And (unrelated) departure from Heathrow:

IMG_7868.JPG

Tourist fact: the gateway in the background is the entrance to Friar Park, former home of George Harrison from the Beatles. (We're staying just over the road for the weekend.)

Marin B

This morning I could tell that conditions were right in the San Francisco area for persistent contrails:

730am.JPG

At work I snapped a picture at 10:45 of what I thought was a trail left by UAL6 (Tokyo to Houston flying at 35,000 ft). But then I realized later that trails outside my office window are farther north than they appear, so after going to FR24 I think a more likely candidate is AAL7 (Dallas to Hawaii).
1045am.JPG

By 12:30 there was pretty extensive coverage:
1230pm.JPG

I know I'm going to get an earful about all the spraying that was going on today :(

The engines on the Swiss plane seem to be more slender than most. I wonder if they result in finer contrail initiation comparedDSCF3036 crop.jpg to others on the same day eg.

Last edited:

Trailspotter

Senior Member.
The engines on the Swiss plane seem to be more slender than most. I wonder if they result in finer contrail initiation compared to others on the same day eg.

I do not think that the engine cowling size matter. However, different planes do have different engines:
Swiss Airbus A330 HB-JHF Engines 2 x RR Trent 772B-60
Air France Boeing 777 F-GSPR Engines 2 x GE GE90-90B2

I do not think that the engine cowling size matter. However, different planes do have different engines:
Swiss Airbus A330 HB-JHF Engines 2 x RR Trent 772B-60
Air France Boeing 777 F-GSPR Engines 2 x GE GE90-90B2

I imagine they try to match the velocities of the turbine exhaust, and bypass air, but this might depend more on operating conditions than engine type.

Trailblazer

Staff member
A nice example of how foreshortening can fool the eye: what looks like a sharp, almost right-angled turn is actually a fairly gentle course correction. (And not over town as you might think, but way out over the sea)

IMG_8405.JPG

IMG_8404.PNG

Attachments

• DSCF3632.JPG
    DSCF3632.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 125
  • DSCF3631.JPG
    DSCF3631.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 102
  • DSCF3630.JPG
    DSCF3630.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 117
  • DSCF3629.JPG
    DSCF3629.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 118
  • DSCF3628.JPG
    DSCF3628.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 108
  • DSCF3627.JPG
    DSCF3627.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 104
  • DSCF3626.JPG
    DSCF3626.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 106
  • DSCF3625.JPG
    DSCF3625.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 119
  • DSCF3624.JPG
    DSCF3624.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 119
  • DSCF3623.JPG
    DSCF3623.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 101

Trailspotter

Senior Member.
EasyJet Airbus A320-214 G-EZOY flight 6466 to Newcastle via Moon at around 15:20 UTC today. A crop from yet unpublished video.
Screen Shot 2016-12-04 at 18.15.07.png

Edit:
Here is the video
Source: https://youtu.be/HC7rBqoMTE8

Note that at the moment of passing the edge of the Moon disk, the exhaust trail in the gap between the engine and the beginning of contrail briefly becomes visible.

Last edited:
Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Mick West How Do You Take Good Photos of High Altitude Planes and Contrails? Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 2
Mick West Debunked: Chemtrail Plane and Other Unlabeled Photos from Facebook etc. Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 227
DasKleineTeilchen 2,400 "new" unseen 9/11 photos found at estate sale, june 2019 9/11 12
Mick West "Golden Orb" Daytime Reflective Sphere UFOs in Photos UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 42
Mick West Infrared Photos of Clouds and Contrails Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 17
chrono117 How to Debunk Flat Earth Without Relying on NASA or Photos Flat Earth 42
creatonez Explained: Why the Earth does not look oblate in photos from space Flat Earth 0
Mick West Strange Lights in Phone Photos - Flash Reflection from Window UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 0
Mick West Some New-ish WTC7 Photos (and video?) Corner Damage 9/11 6
tadaaa Debunked: Fake photos-Novichok attack Russian 'agents' (side by side gates) General Discussion 34
Priyadi Explained: Why We Don't See Satellites in Photos Taken From The ISS Flat Earth 1
Mick West WTC7 South Side Photos 9/11 2
George Tasker Using pin hole lenses to debunk CGI Rebuttals of Photos of Earth Curvature Flat Earth 7
Mick West Debunked: "FBI releases 27 classified photos of 9/11 Pentagon attacks" [Not New] 9/11 8
Mick West The P900 Rippling Orb Effect & Taking Photos of Venus Flat Earth 23
Mick West Contrails Hidden In 1950s and 1960s Family Photos Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 2
Mick West Sunset Photos with "Angel Wings" Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 9
Mick West Explaining the Ghost Boy in the Back Seat Photo with Occam's Razor UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 99
Mick West P900 Plane and Contrails Photos and Video Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 17
Mick West How to take Photos of the ISS (International Space Station) with a P900 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Jonathan Evans Explained: Jupiter Photos look the same [Composite photo] Flat Earth 5
Mick West Space Station Photos Disprove the "Flat Earth" Theory Flat Earth 110
Mick West Photos in Middelveen's & Stricker's Morgellons papers that look like Stellate Trichomes. General Discussion 4
Leifer Jet ID....the underside, from photos/videos Contrails and Chemtrails 3
G Are these old photos of contrails? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 18
MikeG Debunked: Fukushima Causing Bloody Tumors in Fish [Old Photos] Science and Pseudoscience 15
deirdre Debunked: Police took photos before attending to wounded Sandy Hook 1
Trailblazer Cloud Forms, 1949, British Air Ministry Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 2
Mick West Debunked: "Blue Marble" Photos show a Changing Earth Flat Earth 40
Tony_Sigel Debunked: Chang'e-2 photos of Alien Base on Moon [Hoax] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 14
JesseCuster Satellite photos of clouds Practical Debunking 3
MikeG Debunked: Crime Scene Photos "Prove" Sandy Hook was a Hoax Sandy Hook 107
TWCobra Madisonstar Moon posts 59 year old photo of B47's contrailing. Contrails and Chemtrails 0
Mick West Explained: Hampton Court Ghost Photo [iPhone Panorama Glitch] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 8
WhiteTiger Explained: "Chemdust fallout" [Out of Focus Photos of dust, mist, lights, etc.] Contrails and Chemtrails 21
Redwood Debunked: Google photos show Ottawa Parliament bullet holes are fake Conspiracy Theories 115
Trailblazer Explained: Bands of colored "particles" in sky photos [digital camera artifact] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 21
Avestriel Hindu Guru Magic UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 5
L Photos of trails over Switzerland [back to the 1970s] and Chemical Analysis of Jacuzzi Cover Water Contrails and Chemtrails 18
Mick West Solved: "Alien" with "shadow" on the Moon [Debris in Camera] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 59
Cloudsorchems Lack of Contrails in Old Photos of Chicago Contrails and Chemtrails 11
Ezswo [Solved] MH-17 was 9M-MRD, so Why are there photos of 9M-MRC? ['D' partially obscured] Flight MH17 204
Mick West Debunked: Photos of Spraying out the Back of a Cargo Plane [Malaysian Cloud Seeding from C-130] Contrails and Chemtrails 4
jtmac Help me to understand - Photos and Videos with very large numbers of contrails Contrails and Chemtrails 52
Tobes Debunked: Anatomical impossibility of Jeff Bauman photos Boston Marathon Bombings 94
zebra100 Need 3/8/14 Andaman Sea Sat Photos to Verify Malaysia Woman Saw Downed MH370 Flight MH370 85
PCWilliams Debunked: MH370. Airport security photos photoshopped? [Photocopier mishap] Conspiracy Theories 13
Grieves Moon Stuff: Stereoscopic examination of Photos Conspiracy Theories 16
Mick West Photos of Clouds and Skies (That you took yourself) Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 643
Mick West Photos of Street After Impact, Before Collapse, Possible Passport 9/11 15
Related Articles

Related Articles