Photos of Clouds and Skies (That you took yourself)

SR1419

Senior Member.
It was an interesting (well, interesting to me) sky here yesterday. I also took this. I think that might be the same linear cloud structure at the bottom of the photo.
IMG_6814_tonemapped-aw.jpg

This is Shingle Springs, CA, (just east of Sacramento) here's the region:

The clouds look(ed) more promising/threatening than they were but we did see a few drops of rain here in the Bay Area.

J

Joe

M Bornong

Senior Member.
My wife and I spent the weekend on Lake Nacimiento, near Paso Robles, CA. We were greeted to our camp spot with a circumzenithal arc.
DSCF1005.jpg

Saturday, While fishing, we saw this halo.

DSCF1119.jpg

Returning to the campground, there was a Kelvin-Helmholtz formation,

DSCF1156.jpg

and some nice iridescence.

DSCF1161.jpg DSCF1165.jpg

The fishing wasn't bad, either.

DSCF1332b.jpg

cloudspotter

Senior Member.
My wife and I spent the weekend on Lake Nacimiento, near Paso Robles, CA. We were greeted to our camp spot with a circumzenithal arc.
DSCF1005.jpg

Looks too white and too low (judging by the trees) for a circumzenithal arc. Could it have been part of a parhelic circle?

http://www.atoptics.co.uk/halo/parcirc.htm

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Staff member
My wife and I spent the weekend on Lake Nacimiento, near Paso Robles, CA....
You always seem to catch some great atmospheric phenomena on your trips, Matt! The sky here in London resembles a sheet of grey cardboard today, and I think it will be the same for tomorrow's solar eclipse :(

M Bornong

Senior Member.
Looks too white and too low (judging by the trees) for a circumzenithal arc. Could it have been part of a parhelic circle?

It could be. If it helps, the photo was taken at 2:42 pm pacific, Friday, March 13. I was standing at 35°45’33.5” N 120°54’01.7 W, and this was my view.

googleearth.jpg

I'd say the tree was 8-10 meters tall.

M Bornong

Senior Member.
You always seem to catch some great atmospheric phenomena on your trips, Matt! The sky here in London resembles a sheet of grey cardboard today, and I think it will be the same for tomorrow's solar eclipse :(

You just gotta LOOK UP!!;)

If you do get a break in the clouds and don't have a proper filter for your camera, I found that a number 8 welder's glass held over the lens works fairly well and is inexpensive, you need a number 14 or better if you are looking directly at the sun. I was even able to see AR 2192 during our last partial eclipse in October.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
You just gotta LOOK UP!!;)

If you do get a break in the clouds and don't have a proper filter for your camera, I found that a number 8 welder's glass held over the lens works fairly well and is inexpensive, you need a number 14 or better if you are looking directly at the sun. I was even able to see AR 2192 during our last partial eclipse in October.

I tried the welders glass, and while it was fine for the naked eye, it was terrible on my 500mm lens. I got vastly better results by projecting it with some binoculars onto some bright white paper.

Trailblazer

Staff member
I photographed the 2002 total eclipse in Australia through a sheet of metallised mylar foil - the kind that looks opaque silver unless you hold it up to a bright light.

The total and diamond ring phases were taken with no filter (and total guesswork on the exposure!)

eclipse strip.jpg

M Bornong

Senior Member.
I tried the welders glass, and while it was fine for the naked eye, it was terrible on my 500mm lens. I got vastly better results by projecting it with some binoculars onto some bright white paper.

Did it let too much light in around the sides? I cut the end off of an 1/2" rubber drain coupling and glued it to the glass. It fits on my lens perfectly, the photo above is fully zoomed at 500mm.DSCF1353.JPG

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Did it let too much light in around the sides? I cut the end off of an 1/2" rubber drain coupling and glued it to the glass. It fits on my lens perfectly, the photo above is fully zoomed at 500mm.DSCF1353.JPG

No, I had it light tight, but it was too blurry. This is what I ended up doing:

I then took photos of the projected image with my iPhone, which ended up better than 500mm+Welders Glass.

light&shadows

From my window here in Oslo earlier today. I really didn't expect to get a shot of it due to the weather, but the clouds thinned out just enough to form a perfect neutral density filter at just the right moment._DSC5188.jpg

Trailspotter

Senior Member.
From my window here in Oslo earlier today. I really didn't expect to get a shot of it due to the weather, but the clouds thinned out just enough to form a perfect neutral density filter at just the right moment._DSC5188.jpg
I had no such luck at my location. When the clouds thinned out a bit near the end of eclipse, the Sun already resembled the Apple logo:
IMG_0838.JPG

Last edited:

M Bornong

Senior Member.
Was it above the sun?
The sun was to my back, over my right shoulder. I had backed our camper into our spot, got out of the car and that was the first thing I saw. It only lasted a little more than 4 minutes before the cloud drifted, and the arc faded. The photo I posted above was number 3 in the series.

DSCF1003.JPG DSCF1004.JPG DSCF1006.JPG

Last edited:

cloudspotter

Senior Member.
The sun was to my back, over my right shoulder. I had backed our camper into our spot, got out of the car and that was the first thing I saw. It only lasted a little more than 4 minutes before the cloud drifted, and the arc faded. The photo I posted above was number 3 in the series.

DSCF1003.JPG DSCF1004.JPG DSCF1006.JPG

Pretty sure that's a parhelic circle then. Not jealous or anything.

JesseCuster

Friday's eclipse as photographed from Ireland. It was cloudy but it was visible when it was behind thinner patches of cloud. The cloud actually helped make taking photos easier as it basically acted as a filter blocking out most of the light from the sun.

I had spots in my eyes for about an hour afterwards however from staring at it with the naked eye. Stupid thing to do.Eclipse.jpg

Trailblazer

Staff member
Rippled clouds viewed from above over the English Channel. On the second picture there is also some cirrus above. (Contrast enhanced)

image.jpg image.jpg

Trailspotter

Senior Member.
Thought this pair of Cirrus(I think? I know nothing about nephology!) clouds looked pretty cool over Edinburgh today!
WP_20150406_010.jpg
These are contrails, a.k.a. cirrus aviaticus, that have been left by the flights passing southwest of Edinburgh. A pair of likely candidates are KLM213 and KLM677 that have flown by very similar routes around 1:30 PM BST
Screen shot 2015-04-06 at 22.29.20.png
Their tracks are in right directions and at right distances from the Scottish capital. If are viewed in Google Earth from Calton Hill, they match the contrail positions in your photo.

PS. The photos of contrails taken by members usually are discussed in a related thread:
https://www.metabunk.org/threads/photos-of-planes-and-contrails-that-you-took-yourself.1487/

Their tracks are in right directions and at right distances from the Scottish capital. If are viewed in Google Earth from Calton Hill, they match the contrail positions in your photo.

Amazing, thanks for the info! Didn't realise they were contrails; it's amazing how deceptive they look, in terms of distance. They seem almost overhead, but in reality quite a distance away.

Trailspotter

Senior Member.
Amazing, thanks for the info! Didn't realise they were contrails; it's amazing how deceptive they look, in terms of distance. They seem almost overhead, but in reality quite a distance away.

Yes, contrails often look deceptive in terms of distance. This is because they are at altitudes higher than Everest :rolleyes:
Calton Hill KLM677.jpg
This is how the Google Earth KLM677 track looks from approximately the same Google StreetView location, as in your photo.

Trailblazer

Staff member
Some interesting banded cirrus clouds over Hampshire yesterday. I'm not sure if they were contrail related or not.

image.jpg

Trailblazer

Staff member
Very nice @cloudspotter. Reminds me that I meant to post this one from my week in Austria last month. A nice halo (and some rather threadbare tracked-out powder - it got better lower down!)

valluga.JPG

Trailblazer

Staff member
And I just found these pics on my phone, which I took last month and forgot about. Clouds casting shadows onto a thin haze layer below. Taken in Weybridge, Surrey, UK, on April 6 2015.

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Staff member
Along with a 22° halo and what I think is a 46° halo? This photo shows all three, with the parhelic circle cutting across the middle.

image.jpg

Comparing to @solrey's photo I think the brighter portion of halo at top left is actually an upper tangent arc, with the fainter 22° halo visible inside it a bit lower down. (The photo was taken "sideways" with the sun almost at its highest.)

cloudspotter

Senior Member.
WP_20150628_19_03_18_Pro[1].jpg Interesting hole I spotted yesterday. Bit gutted that I didn't get more photos and look around for clues - I spotted a short strip of persistent contrail a little way off which may have lined up with this. My thinking is it may have been caused by an earlier flight

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
WP_20150628_19_03_18_Pro[1].jpg Interesting hole I spotted yesterday. Bit gutted that I didn't get more photos and look around for clues - I spotted a short strip of persistent contrail a little way off which may have lined up with this. My thinking is it may have been caused by an earlier flight

Possibly a single plane ascending or descending through the thin cloud layer, in the upper left it looks like a distrail, then there's what seems to be a hole punch cloud. But it's hard to tell without more context.

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Mick West Infrared Photos of Clouds and Contrails Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 17
Trailblazer Cloud Forms, 1949, British Air Ministry Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 2
JesseCuster Satellite photos of clouds Practical Debunking 3
MrAudi92 Green Bay, Wisconsin/Weyauwega U.S. UFO Photos (2003 and 2007) UFOs and Aliens 6
Mick West Debunked: Diving Triangle UFO Photos from Reddit [Fake] UFOs and Aliens 37
Q Explained: HomeSteadHow "UFO" Photos [Helicopter] UFOs and Aliens 54
LorentzHall 'Transmedium Sphere' Photos (Jeremy Corbell) UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 7
Mick West Sphere, Acorn, Metallic Blimp - Three iPhone Photos From an F-18 via Mystery Wire UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 170
Mick West How Do You Stage UFO Photos and Videos? Let us Count the Ways. UFOs and Aliens 43
I Thylacines in Tasmania (New photos from 1st March 2021) General Discussion 44
Mick West Biden's New Head [Old Photos, Squinting, Hair Transplant] Election 2020 22
TEEJ Explained: Inaguration Photos from Different Angles Show Different Backgrounds. Election 2020 9
P Debunked: 7 Alleged photos of aliens UFOs and Aliens 9
DasKleineTeilchen 2,400 "new" unseen 9/11 photos found at estate sale, june 2019 9/11 12
Mick West "Golden Orb" Daytime Reflective Sphere UFOs in Photos UFOs and Aliens 42
chrono117 How to Debunk Flat Earth Without Relying on NASA or Photos Flat Earth 42
creatonez Explained: Why the Earth does not look oblate in photos from space Flat Earth 5
Mick West Strange Lights in Phone Photos - Flash Reflection from Window UFOs and Aliens 0
Mick West Some New-ish WTC7 Photos (and video?) Corner Damage 9/11 6
tadaaa Debunked: Fake photos-Novichok attack Russian 'agents' (side by side gates) General Discussion 34
Priyadi Explained: Why We Don't See Satellites in Photos Taken From The ISS Flat Earth 1
Mick West WTC7 South Side Photos 9/11 2
George Tasker Using pin hole lenses to debunk CGI Rebuttals of Photos of Earth Curvature Flat Earth 7
Mick West Debunked: "FBI releases 27 classified photos of 9/11 Pentagon attacks" [Not New] 9/11 8
Mick West The P900 Rippling Orb Effect & Taking Photos of Venus Flat Earth 23
Mick West Contrails Hidden In 1950s and 1960s Family Photos Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 2
Mick West Sunset Photos with "Angel Wings" Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 12
Mick West Explaining the Ghost Boy in the Back Seat Photo with Occam's Razor Ghosts, Monsters, and the Paranormal 99
Mick West P900 Plane and Contrails Photos and Video Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 17
Mick West How Do You Take Good Photos of High Altitude Planes and Contrails? Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 1
Mick West How to take Photos of the ISS (International Space Station) with a P900 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Jonathan Evans Explained: Jupiter Photos look the same [Composite photo] Flat Earth 5
Mick West Space Station Photos Disprove the "Flat Earth" Theory Flat Earth 113
Mick West Photos in Middelveen's & Stricker's Morgellons papers that look like Stellate Trichomes. General Discussion 8
Leifer Jet ID....the underside, from photos/videos Contrails and Chemtrails 3
G Are these old photos of contrails? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 18
MikeG Debunked: Fukushima Causing Bloody Tumors in Fish [Old Photos] Science and Pseudoscience 15
deirdre Debunked: Police took photos before attending to wounded Sandy Hook 1
Mick West Debunked: "Blue Marble" Photos show a Changing Earth Flat Earth 40
Tony_Sigel Debunked: Chang'e-2 photos of Alien Base on Moon [Hoax] UFOs and Aliens 14
MikeG Debunked: Crime Scene Photos "Prove" Sandy Hook was a Hoax Sandy Hook 107
TWCobra Madisonstar Moon posts 59 year old photo of B47's contrailing. Contrails and Chemtrails 0
Mick West Explained: Hampton Court Ghost Photo [iPhone Panorama Glitch] Ghosts, Monsters, and the Paranormal 8
WhiteTiger Explained: "Chemdust fallout" [Out of Focus Photos of dust, mist, lights, etc.] Contrails and Chemtrails 21
Redwood Debunked: Google photos show Ottawa Parliament bullet holes are fake Conspiracy Theories 115
Trailblazer Explained: Bands of colored "particles" in sky photos [digital camera artifact] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 21
Avestriel Hindu Guru Magic Ghosts, Monsters, and the Paranormal 5
L Photos of trails over Switzerland [back to the 1970s] and Chemical Analysis of Jacuzzi Cover Water Contrails and Chemtrails 18
Mick West Solved: "Alien" with "shadow" on the Moon [Debris in Camera] UFOs and Aliens 59
Cloudsorchems Lack of Contrails in Old Photos of Chicago Contrails and Chemtrails 11
Related Articles

Related Articles