Mick's latest video - Can someone debunk it for me?

tobigtofool

Saw this amazing video Mick West captured of a legitimate UFO and was wondering if we coudl break down exactly what is happening in the video?

Source: https://twitter.com/MickWest/status/1682117244233601024?s=20

In it the (actual real ufo) zips off to the left of the camera frame, then zips back on.

This inhuman movement is impossibru! And proves that this is a legit UAP - or does it?? (Obviously it does not, it was posted it as a joke)

I was wondering if we could break down exactly how the parallax effect creates this illusion, so I can wrap my brain around it.

On twitter the breakdown was a litle hard to follow, and I was wondering if we could actually analize and break down, exactly what is happening as if this were a real anonymous UFO sighting, because without a doubt... the movements are the most convincing UFO movements I have ever seen on camera. Knowing it's a balloon makes me very curious to see how we can break down the actual effects that are happening that cause this illusion?

It's a good exercise but also would be extremely informative for me, and I hope others to know how this works, and how to debunk videos like it! Thank you!

Last edited:
On twitter the breakdown was a litle hard to follow, and I was wondering if we could actually analize and break down, exactly what is happening as if this were a real anonymous UFO sighting, because without a doubt... the movements are the most convincing UFO movements I have ever seen on camera. Knowing it's a balloon makes me very curious to see how we can break down the actual effects that are happening that cause this illusion?
Balloon + stabilized parallax.
Content from External Source
If you've looked up parallax, and it's still hard to follow, I suggest doing some experiments yourself.

For example:
1) hold your right hand at arms length in front of you, hold your left hand at half the distance.
2) Close one eye, keep the other eye open.
3) Extend the index finger of each hand upward.
4) Align the fingers in your vision, keeping the left hand at half the distance.
5) Do not move your hands. Move your head left and right.

You will see that the fingers (which you are holding still) appear to move in relation to each other.

In Mick's video, the lamp post is the closer finger, and the balloon is the far finger. Neither the lamp post nor the balloon move; Mick simply moves his camera. (If the sky was cloudy, it'd be very obvious.) Because the camera is stabilized, it's not obvious that Mick is doing that. When the viewers assume wrongly that both the camera and the lamp post do not move, then the balloon appears to move for them. In fact, the balloon doesn't move; neither did your fingers; it was the camera/your eye that moved.

Back