Larry Maguire (MP) letter to Canadian Defense Minister on UAP recovery program

fizzBuzz

Corbell and Knapp released this document on their podcast (video). Larry Maguire is a conservative Member of Parliament, based out of Manitoba. He is basically informing the Defense Minister about "foreign" crash retrieval and reverse-engineering programs allied with other countries. He is basically saying this information will be made public soon and we need a plan for addressing this with the public... that's what I got from it. I don't think Corbell has posted this document on his website yet, so I just took a snip-it from the video.

Of course, Corbell and Knapp inject "aliens" into this document, but to me it sounds like Maguire is just talking about a foreign adversary craft retrieval program - I have no reason to think otherwise.

Screenshot 2023-06-20 112857.jpg
Screenshot 2023-06-20 113112.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-20 113021.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-06-20 113021.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 68
Last edited by a moderator:
The most interesting thing about this document is Maguire saying information will become public soon. Not sure what event(s) he's referring to there, but it could at least mean more information will be released soon-ish OR he's talking about the David Grusch stuff OR both.

LARRY MAGUIRE, MP

BRANDON-SOURIS

March 22, 2023

RE: Defense Research and Development Canada in possession of recovered UAP material

Dear Minister Anand,

It has come to my attention through meetings with American officials that the United States Senate Select Committee on Intelligence and Senate Committee on Armed Services have been undertaking in-camera hearings with government and military subject matter experts on the recovery and exploitation of physical material from Unidentified Aerial Phenomena (UAP).

I am concerned that expected upcoming public announcements will be coordinated between AUKUS, which could damage Canada's credibility with our allies and the Canadian public on the global stage. There is an opportunity to have a prepared communication plan in place by May 2023 to reduce this risk.

As Minister of National Defense, you may not be aware Defense Research and Development Canada (DRDC) has participated in efforts to analyze UAP, which is publicly traceable to circa 1950. This recovered foreign material is studied through the Five Eyes Foreign Material Program (FMP) which, in Canada, is sponsored by the Canadian Forces Intelligence Command aligned with several intelligence sharing arrangements and treaties. I am writing to recommend you request a classified briefing, containing full sensitive and protected program information from your officials on the Government of Canada's historical and ongoing efforts on analyzing recovered UAP material.

Canada's Chief Science Advisor has also launched the Sky Canada Project, which is investigating how the Government of Canada manages UAP reports. They are in the process of identifying key Canadian stakeholder institutions. It is essential the Chief Science Advisor be given full access to defense programs and be briefed on the collaborative scientific research efforts with our allies.

It is imperative the Government of Canada have a communications plan to respond to these upcoming public revelations that will stem from these American FMPS. Not only are there national security and aviation safety concerns that need to be addressed, but there will also be a larger debate about why there is a lack of transparency and accountability regarding UAP programs and policy.

I also believe there must be Parliamentary oversight of efforts by government institutions, and responsible Ministers should be fully briefed on this program, including releasable-to-the-public content that aligns with allied public disclosures. It is incumbent your department inform you of what collaborative efforts have occurred with our allies and the details of existing Agreements and Memorandums of Understanding that govern the program and may have been coordinated through Global Affairs.

Canada’s credibility with our allies and the Canadian public must transcend politics and I firmly believe we can work together in a bipartisan manner. Regardless of the classified details of specific FMPs, the public revelations by these subject matter experts who have testified before Congress present an opportunity for the Government of Canada to take a visible leadership role in confirming the existence of recovered material and balancing our national security obligations.

I look forward to your response and if you seek any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Sincerely,

(Signature)

Larry Maguire, MP

Brandon-Souris

cc:

Hon. Melanie Joly, PC, MP

Hon. Omar Alghabra, PC, MP

Assistant Deputy Minister (Science & Technology)

Dr. Mona Nemer, Chief Science Advisor

Major General Michael Wright, Commander of Canadian Forces Intelligence Command Canadian Forces Intelligence Command, Office for Release and Disclosure Policy

Content from External Source

The most interesting thing about this document is Maguire saying information will become public soon. Not sure what event(s) he's referring to there, but it could at least mean more information will be released soon-ish OR he's talking about the David Grusch stuff OR both.
Well, the letter dates from March, and suggests a "prepared communication plan in place by May 2023". So it might be concerning any of the May press briefings, or something upcoming.

Well, the letter dates from March, and suggests a "prepared communication plan in place by May 2023". So it might be concerning any of the May press briefings, or something upcoming.
To have a plan in place doesn't mean that's when the information will be released. It could just be "lets have a plan in place asap because we DON'T KNOW when this information is coming out". That's what you mean, right? I agree with that.

Could he be referring to the balloons that were shot down over Alaska, Canada, and Michigan? This document is dated March 22 which puts those events within weeks of this document.

I wonder who he is referring to here, and what qualifies as an "American official":
It has come to my attention through meetings with American officials

Also this next quote seems like an odd, almost condescending, thing to say to someone with higher authority:
As Minister of National Defense, you may not be aware Defense Research and Development Canada (DRDC) has participated in efforts to analyze UAP, which is publicly traceable to circa 1950.

What grounds does this member of parliament have to educate the Minister of National Defense? Is his implication that it wouldn't be known because of its high classification (in which case how is Maguire aware) or is it an obscure factoid that only those interested in ufology would be aware of, implying Maguire has a non-professional interest in the topic.

Last edited:
From Post #1 above, McGuire's letter to Minister Anand
As Minister of National Defense, you may not be aware Defense Research and Development Canada (DRDC) has participated in efforts to analyze UAP, which is publicly traceable to circa 1950. This recovered foreign material is studied through the Five Eyes Foreign Material Program (FMP) which, in Canada, is sponsored by the Canadian Forces Intelligence Command aligned with several intelligence sharing arrangements and treaties. I am writing to recommend you request a classified briefing, containing full sensitive and protected program information from your officials on the Government of Canada's historical and ongoing efforts on analyzing recovered UAP material.

The whole thing seems odd to me. You have an opposition party MP (known primarily for farming support/activism, see Wiki below) from a small electoral district in Manitoba taking it on himself to decide/advise what the sitting Minister of National Defense of a Five Eyes nation knows/needs to know relative to alleged pending governmental defense/intelligence actions on the part of pact member countries.

Yes, MP McGuire is a member (see Wiki below) of the the House Standing Committee on Public Safety and National Security, but wouldn't you expect Ms Anand to receive/have received whatever she needs to know in her role as Minister of National Defense concerning pending intergovernmental actions on UFOs from the top (of the elected ruling government of which she is a member) down?

Sounds to me like partisan politics and political grandstanding on the part of MP McGuire more than anything else.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Maguire

Sounds to me like partisan politics and political grandstanding on the part of MP McGuire more than anything else.
I note that the language of the letter is quite peremptory, using phrases like ...it is essential...it is imperative...there must be...it is incumbent...must transcend politics...

See also the curious sentence

As Minister of National Defense, you may not [sic] be aware Defense Research and Development Canada (DRDC) has participated in efforts to analyze UAP, which is publicly traceable to circa 1950.

Unless the word 'not' is actually an unintended insertion, this is tantamount to saying 'As Minister of National Defense, you may not be on top of your job'.

If I were a Minister receiving a letter like this from a minor Opposition MP, I would be inclined to think 'damned cheek', or some such reaction.

Have e-mailed the MPs office, asking if the letter is genuine, and if so whether it actually concerns government efforts to acquire/study flying saucer wreckage or perhaps has some other subject in mind.

I imagine his office is swamped by requests for information on this from more immediately important correspondents than some guy from North Carolina, so may not hear back. But if I do, and he agrees I may do so, I'll share anything I find out.

reddit user dreamluvr74, posted a link to a twitter convo from 2022 where Maguire shows that he used a Canadian 'Inquiry of Ministry' (similar to a US FOIA request?) to seek some info about a UAP-related mtg between US and Canada

Source: https://old.reddit.com/r/UFOs/comments/14ek5dc/nov_2022_twitter_exchange_between_canadian_mps/

Source: https://twitter.com/LarryMaguireMP/status/1592544476983365632

I believe this indicates that he does not have classified, previously unknown knowledge of UAPs and it supports the interpretation of his March letter as a petition to his government referencing publicly available information.

Last edited:
An article from May 17, 2022 about Maguire and UAP.

Article:
Canadian members of Parliament are urging the government to pay more attention to recent U.S. news about “unidentified aerial phenomena,” or UAP: a term used for what are more commonly known as unidentified flying objects and UFOs.

According to Conservative MP Larry Maguire and a Texas-based researcher, at least three Canadian politicians have now sought UAP briefings from former Pentagon officials.

“When you see the information that's come out of the United States, you'd have to take it seriously,” Maguire told CTV News from his Ottawa office. “We need to have a parallel program to what the United States already has.”

[...]

Maguire’s office states it arranged a Feb. 16, 2021 briefing for the Manitoba MP and another Conservative parliamentarian with Luis Elizondo, a former U.S. Army counterintelligence officer who reportedly ran a UAP research program before resigning from the Pentagon in 2017.

Maguire's US sources for his statements might just be Lue Elizondo and gang.

I note that the language of the letter is quite peremptory, using phrases like ...it is essential...it is imperative...there must be...it is incumbent...must transcend politics...

See also the curious sentence

Unless the word 'not' is actually an unintended insertion, this is tantamount to saying 'As Minister of National Defense, you may not be on top of your job'.

If I were a Minister receiving a letter like this from a minor Opposition MP, I would be inclined to think 'damned cheek', or some such reaction.
My point exactly. More grandstanding and condescending cheek than substance.

so this guy around the time of the ballon shoot downs wrote a letter to get info on uap retrieval programs which was inspired by guys like elizondo from the us? let me know if ive grasped the gist of this situation

Also this next quote seems like an odd, almost condescending, thing to say to someone with higher authority:
I see what you're saying and I read it that way as well, but Corbell said this minister had just started... after a 2 second Google search, I came across her wiki page which says she assumed office in Oct 2021. So...

But there could be processes, hierarchies, structures that we don't understand. There could be so many programs under their Defense that any R&D one, she may not care about.. who knows.

so this guy around the time of the ballon shoot downs wrote a letter to get info on uap retrieval programs which was inspired by guys like elizondo from the us? let me know if ive grasped the gist of this situation
No, there is assumptions in there. We don't know what programs this guy is referencing. That's up in the air, but there's no reason to think it's alien craft retrieval and reverse-engineering programs like Corbell and Knapp do.

I didn't mean to give the impression that I know his sources or what he programs he was referring to. I just noticed a possible distinction in the memo (emphasis mine):

It has come to my attention through meetings with American officials that the United States Senate Select Committee on Intelligence and Senate Committee on Armed Services have been undertaking in-camera hearings with government and military subject matter experts on the recovery and exploitation of physical material from Unidentified Aerial Phenomena (UAP).
At first I read that as "meetings with American officials from ...", but after re-reading I noticed the American officials we has speaking with are not stated to be from those Committees. I just found the previous meetings with "former Pentagon official" Lue Elizondo to be interesting in that regard.

I see what you're saying and I read it that way as well, but Corbell said this minister had just started... after a 2 second Google search, I came across her wiki page which says she assumed office in Oct 2021. So...

But there could be processes, hierarchies, structures that we don't understand. There could be so many programs under their Defense that any R&D one, she may not care about.. who knows.

So the minister, after holding that position for nearly a year and a half by the time of the letter, wouldn’t have been made aware of such an arguably important program because the program was above her clearance? Not sure what Corbell is implying there. If it’s so highly classified, how did Maguire learn of it.

The response to Maguire’s “Inquiry of Ministry” request which he shared in his tweet last year, I think shows that he is eager to get disclosure moving along but yet also shows that he isn’t one of the insiders who has clearance to know this info.

Feel like that reveals his level of first hand knowledge, which helps us understand his perspective and context with which he wrote his letter to the Minister.

Last edited:
I think I'll just wait to know what Christopher Mellon has to say about that letter. Given his substantial resume people likely still give him status as a credible, disinterested source. But, has not he been advocating for the UFO disclosure for a goog while now and therefore being prone to wishful thinking and exaggeration on the subject?

The other concern I have with that letter: Why would anyone put this communication in writing when a call would suffice?

At first I read that as "meetings with American officials from ...", but after re-reading I noticed the American officials we has speaking with are not stated to be from those Committees. I just found the previous meetings with "former Pentagon official" Lue Elizondo to be interesting in that regard.

Good catch on the "former Pentagon officials" giving Maguire a briefing. I could be any number of people, including actual employees like Elizondo, Lacatski, Stratton and even Grusch along with Pentagon "affiliated" contractors like Hal Putoff, Eric Davis, Kit Green or even Tom DeLong as his TTSA had a contract of sorts with the DoD to study meta-materials.

Back