Issues with embedded twitter links.

FatPhil

Senior Member.

For reference, all I see in your post, and all such twitter linking, is a blue bird twitter icon, and the URL to the tweet, but none of the content of the tweet. Can you please quote its actual payload?

It seems like the site is somewhat twitter-aware - I see "media=twitter" in the bb-code - so perhaps the site could be modified to do the scraping so that all of the posters don't need to do it manually?

For reference, all I see in your post, and all such twitter linking, is a blue bird twitter icon, and the URL to the tweet, but none of the content of the tweet. Can you please quote its actual payload?

It seems like the site is somewhat twitter-aware - I see "media=twitter" in the bb-code - so perhaps the site could be modified to do the scraping so that all of the posters don't need to do it manually?

you really gotta click on it anyway to find out who the person saying it is. Twitter is kinda infamous for allowing the spread of bunk.

you really gotta click on it anyway to find out who the person saying it is. Twitter is kinda infamous for allowing the spread of bunk.

Participation in this thread, or any other with twiitty links, should not be a function of the browser I'm using, or even the day/date that the link was posted - there's *nothing* permanently recorded hereon, absolutely no guarantee that twitter will convert any requests into the same content at any point in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
If by "really" you are expressing something facty, I know, a bizarre concept, then that would be a clear violation of the no-click policy.
you mean like this is a violation of the Politeness Policy?

I was telling readers they shouldn't trust random twitter posts unless they look up (or are told), "why" the twitter poster has any authority to make the statement in the tweet. and even then one needs to fact check the information. I could post a bunch of random texan conservative (or conspiracy theorist) tweets, that state whatever opinion i want to make look authoritarian too.

Basically i'm saying Twitter is a pretty lame source.

Participation in this thread, or any other with twiitty links, should not be a function of the browser I'm using, or even the day/date that the link was posted - there's *nothing* permanently recorded hereon, absolutely no guarantee that twitter will convert any requests into the same content at any point in the future.

I'd encourage people to screenshot important tweets. But the automated embedding is really convenient, and I think live embedding is likely to remain consistent for many years.

That said, it would be great to automate the process.

What browser ARE you using? Do you have issues with other sites that embed tweets?

What browser ARE you using?
it happens to me periodically in Edge (the new internet explorer) and Chrome, but usually goes back to normal on its own in a day or so. I dont know of any other sites that embed tweets, so i never checked that.

I'd encourage people to screenshot important tweets. But the automated embedding is really convenient, and I think live embedding is likely to remain consistent for many years.

That said, it would be great to automate the process.

What browser ARE you using? Do you have issues with other sites that embed tweets?
The main browser on the PC is Palemoon, a Firefox forkt that I shifted to because FF removed essential-to-me functionality. That Palemoon is pinned to an old version, as they too removed the essential-to-me functionality. On that, absolutely *nothing* twitter works for me at all, even if I turn JS on, which I don't. On the phone I use w3m and lynx, and nothing embedded works there. Tweets are text, any medium more complicated than text to propagate them is an antifeature.

The main browser on the PC is Palemoon, a Firefox forkt that I shifted to because FF removed essential-to-me functionality. That Palemoon is pinned to an old version, as they too removed the essential-to-me functionality. On that, absolutely *nothing* twitter works for me at all, even if I turn JS on, which I don't. On the phone I use w3m and lynx, and nothing embedded works there. Tweets are text, any medium more complicated than text to propagate them is an antifeature.

Well, much as I'd like to support everyone, I think here the needs of the many outweigh the needs of people using an old fork of an obscure browser with Javascript switched off. :)

Tweets are not just text, they often have embedded media. Sometimes multiple images, sometimes a video, and sometimes another Tweet. Embedding them in the post is currently the best way of replicating them, with the slight risk that they will vanish (and there I encourage people to screenshot/copy if important)

i was just doing a site search to see how often people even posted twitter links and i'm only seeing stuff going back a year or less. "BIgfoot" goes back further (2014 etc). it seems there is a 10 page limit to search results, which is fine except maybe for 9/11 stuff or chemtrails. wasnt sure if you were aware of the 10 page thing.

it seems there is a 10 page limit to search results, which is fine except maybe for 9/11 stuff or chemtrails. wasnt sure if you were aware of the 10 page thing.
It's a 200 results limit. I don't think that's a big hit (does not get used much), so I've changed it to 4000. Might have to reduce it if a problem arises.

Back