I captured an anomalous light with my telescope pointed at the Big Dipper near the star Merak.

TinFoilHat

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nc7ZhgoxKzdSAoeq9 unedited version

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aFyyQPDijJ5wfyZv9 edited version

Source: https://youtu.be/nBF3alDygjo?si=Y2kc9-VjxojqYScv
edited version YouTube link

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gmvvN6L8pFhJ84vP7 edited version screenshot of the flash at 8 seconds mark

The date and time: Sunday June 25th 2023 11:24pm
Direction facing: approximately the WNW
Telescope used: Zhumell Z130 Reflector Telescope D=130 mm F= 650 mm (f/5.0) model# ZHUS003-1
Eye piece used: KE 25mm Wide Angle fully coated
Camera used: Motorola g stylus 2020
Mount used: Celestron 81035 Basic Smartphone Adapter 1.25"
Calibration used: SVBONY Red Laser Collimator
Telescope is on the trunk of a car during this recording. Wind has affected the telescope before with this set up, slight wiggles occur to stars being observed and recorded. Constant Drift as well will happen if the telescope is "overextended" to create an imbalance, however that wasn't the case when this was recorded.
I used the main rear video camera
Specs:

Main Camera
Triple48 MP, f/1.7, 26mm (wide), 1/2.0", 0.8µm, PDAF, Laser AF
16 MP, f/2.2, 117˚ (ultrawide), dedicated video camera (1080p)
2 MP, f/2.2, (macro)
FeaturesLED flash, HDR, panorama
Video4K@30fps, 1080p@30/60/120fps, 1080p@30fps (gyro-EIS)

I observed with the naked eye flashes of light occuring at the big dipper. Particularly the flashes of light occurred between the stars Merak and Dubhe and flashes in-between Merak and Phecda. I pointed my telescope in those directions and recorded short videos. I don't remember exactly which stars I pointed the telescope in-between as I recorded this particular video however it's in the general vicinity of "the cup" or slightly outside the cup.

I seemed to have caught one of those flashes at approximately the 8 seconds mark of this video.

I didn't watch the screen as it recorded and didn't see any stars when I did start the recording. When I did look at the screen I thought it was a star that had moved into the frame, It surprised me but It has happened before and I turned off the recording by touching the screen which shows as the light wiggles at the very end. Not until later and reviewing the video and adding filters/upping the brightness did I notice this light moving. Also I don't think any stars are visible in this video and all those white dots are "sensor glitches" or noise, I'm not sure the correct terminology.

If I need to add any additional information I will do so if requested.

At that time (04:24 UTC) the sun is directly below Dubhe

Your Google links go to small files which are not useful. The Youtube version shows what look like stars? Are they (or just stuck pixels) can you id one of them?2023-08-26_17-05-10.jpg

At that time (04:24 UTC) the sun is directly below Dubhe

Your Google links go to small files which are not useful. The Youtube version shows what look like stars? Are they (or just stuck pixels) can you id one of them?2023-08-26_17-05-10.jpg
No I don't think any of the static white dots are stars. I'm not sure how to share a larger file of this. Hopefully the YouTube link is sufficient quality.

No I don't think any of the static white dots are stars. I'm not sure how to share a larger file of this. Hopefully the YouTube link is sufficient quality.
Can you share via a drop box? The quality on Youtube is poor.

If you cannot, cut it down to short clips so you can increase the quality.

Can you share via a drop box? The quality on Youtube is poor.

If you cannot, cut it down to short clips so you can increase the quality.
On my 4k television it shows at 1440p@60fps on YouTube.

But here are some dropbox links hopefully this helps.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/0zf1...72-7.mp4?rlkey=mx1nvbbww4e0kt8wuwzikzhql&dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/0yh4...7172.mp4?rlkey=i8j0oylc4s9btkhfd8imbq9yd&dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/1wyp...72-6.mp4?rlkey=pkxiowi9rh0rvnnna4ad3vu1y&dl=0

The wide aspect (1st link) and the 3rd link files have a date of 30/06/2023 so were they recorded later? Or modified?

Okay I get it the video without a numbered suffix is the original version. The others are edited because that video is so under exposed.

The wide aspect (1st link) and the 3rd link files have a date of 30/06/2023 so were they recorded later? Or modified?
Not recorded later just copies of the original. Yes those have been modified. I'm using whatever tools are available on Google's video editing suite to bring out the light that is moving. Brightness, contrast, filters...

Okay I get it the video without a numbered suffix is the original version. The others are edited because that video is so under exposed.
Yes correct. I posted the original video so hopefully people here can edit it themselves as I'm sure many here will have better expertise on how to do so.

Capture a short video (so that it goes through the same pipeline) of something completely black, such as the inside of a closet in a dark room (ah, memories of manually loading film into canisters back in the days of silver halides). That will show the same hot pixels, and they can then be subtracted from the original. Of course, you'll end up with twice the noise in the correctly-dark parts too, so it's not a cost-free win.

Yes correct. I posted the original video so hopefully people here can edit it themselves as I'm sure many here will have better expertise on how to do so.
I can't get anything usable as a reference point out of it, fi we had stars as a reference then we could map to the TLEs of satellites at that time. But without reference points it's hard.

I even tried extracting and stacking from each frame of the video.

Capture a short video (so that it goes through the same pipeline) of something completely black, such as the inside of a closet in a dark room (ah, memories of manually loading film into canisters back in the days of silver halides). That will show the same hot pixels, and they can then be subtracted from the original. Of course, you'll end up with twice the noise in the correctly-dark parts too, so it's not a cost-free win.
There are ways to correct for hot pixels that don't increase noise. For example, one may take many darks and average them to beat down the noise while maintaining information on the hot pixel locations. Another approach is to "correct" for the hot pixels once identified, such as by replacing their values with the average of the pixels around them.

There are ways to correct for hot pixels that don't increase noise. For example, one may take many darks and average them to beat down the noise while maintaining information on the hot pixel locations. Another approach is to "correct" for the hot pixels once identified, such as by replacing their values with the average of the pixels around them.
You're right, I misspoke. If you did it the dumbest technically correct way possible, then you'd have twice the noise floor (but only sqrt(2) times the average noise), but as you say there are a lot of ways of mitigating the problem.

I was overthinking/underthining because I was remembering back to a recent incident where I was slapping myself for not having captured the Milky Way raw (on the first and only night of my life of actually being able to see it - city boy), after noticing how many hot pixels were in the JPEG. And I thought to myself: every block will need to be unDCTed, have between 1 and 4 pixels radically changed, then be re-DCT-ed, and then re-quantized. Which got me thiking that those radically changed pixels could send some significant ripples over the other 60-63 pixels of the block. There's probably a pre-written tool that I could use, rather than coding it manually (which I've still not done), and then I could just point and click and shut my eyes and pretend no harm will come to any of the coefficients without ever seeing any of them in person! It's just my paranoia showing!

You're right, I misspoke. If you did it the dumbest technically correct way possible, then you'd have twice the noise floor (but only sqrt(2) times the average noise), but as you say there are a lot of ways of mitigating the problem.

I was overthinking/underthining because I was remembering back to a recent incident where I was slapping myself for not having captured the Milky Way raw (on the first and only night of my life of actually being able to see it - city boy), after noticing how many hot pixels were in the JPEG. And I thought to myself: every block will need to be unDCTed, have between 1 and 4 pixels radically changed, then be re-DCT-ed, and then re-quantized. Which got me thiking that those radically changed pixels could send some significant ripples over the other 60-63 pixels of the block. There's probably a pre-written tool that I could use, rather than coding it manually (which I've still not done), and then I could just point and click and shut my eyes and pretend no harm will come to any of the coefficients without ever seeing any of them in person! It's just my paranoia showing!
I've only really worked at this level on scientific instruments, not my own DSLR images, which I don't do much to beyond simple adjustments in my photo app. So, I'm not really familiar with data reduction involving JPEGs or video files.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/pro2...5345.mp4?rlkey=shny6myqw1zpgnk2lr7lvujtw&dl=0

This is a 10 second clip with the same set-up. Only difference is the cap is on the telescope in a dark room. I also didn't adjust the focus like the original videos. If focusing makes a difference I will do that if requested.

an intriguing video, and the fact that you've come here is commendable. I wonder if we are seeing 2 separate tumbling satellites catching the sun in a fashion that does resemble a teleporting ufo? Right as one is passing out of the sunlight another happens to drift into view.

Thank you. I know it may be hard to see but on my screen it shows a few frames of what appears to be a boomerang type pattern. So not teleportation, but really fast travel, to me this is the J hook pattern that is being reported.

I'll try to screenshot the frames I am talking about.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/u0qy...0209.png?rlkey=su3upme8i0l74n5oirsn6orz5&dl=0 39sec

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/zesj...0231.png?rlkey=cnsdnqyvepx3cvaxfmel68uuy&dl=0 42sec

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/fh8q...0257.png?rlkey=b3mgx29bh8aovdgqeno4mbtmt&dl=0 43sec

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/tgma...0330.png?rlkey=0o8gztm4tqo65cy9jpo9fq4rz&dl=0 44sec

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/240k...0119.png?rlkey=3ptphnxb6kmcia5dmd69e8rbn&dl=0 44/45sec

And similar pattern happens on the other side is what it appears to me.

I don't know at what speed tumbling satellites travel or how they would look on my setup, but I do know through my set up satellites and ISS become enlongated solid white lines that quickly travel across the screen.

an intriguing video, and the fact that you've come here is commendable. I wonder if we are seeing 2 separate tumbling satellites catching the sun in a fashion that does resemble a teleporting ufo? Right as one is passing out of the sunlight another happens to drift into view.

Last edited:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/nc7ZhgoxKzdSAoeq9 unedited version

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aFyyQPDijJ5wfyZv9 edited version

Source: https://youtu.be/nBF3alDygjo?si=Y2kc9-VjxojqYScv
edited version YouTube link

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gmvvN6L8pFhJ84vP7 edited version screenshot of the flash at 8 seconds mark

The date and time: Sunday June 25th 2023 11:24pm
Direction facing: approximately the WNW
Telescope used: Zhumell Z130 Reflector Telescope D=130 mm F= 650 mm (f/5.0) model# ZHUS003-1
Eye piece used: KE 25mm Wide Angle fully coated
Camera used: Motorola g stylus 2020
Mount used: Celestron 81035 Basic Smartphone Adapter 1.25"
Calibration used: SVBONY Red Laser Collimator
Telescope is on the trunk of a car during this recording. Wind has affected the telescope before with this set up, slight wiggles occur to stars being observed and recorded. Constant Drift as well will happen if the telescope is "overextended" to create an imbalance, however that wasn't the case when this was recorded.
I used the main rear video camera
Specs:

Main Camera
Triple48 MP, f/1.7, 26mm (wide), 1/2.0", 0.8µm, PDAF, Laser AF
16 MP, f/2.2, 117˚ (ultrawide), dedicated video camera (1080p)
2 MP, f/2.2, (macro)
FeaturesLED flash, HDR, panorama
Video4K@30fps, 1080p@30/60/120fps, 1080p@30fps (gyro-EIS)

I observed with the naked eye flashes of light occuring at the big dipper. Particularly the flashes of light occurred between the stars Merak and Dubhe and flashes in-between Merak and Phecda. I pointed my telescope in those directions and recorded short videos. I don't remember exactly which stars I pointed the telescope in-between as I recorded this particular video however it's in the general vicinity of "the cup" or slightly outside the cup.

I seemed to have caught one of those flashes at approximately the 8 seconds mark of this video.

I didn't watch the screen as it recorded and didn't see any stars when I did start the recording. When I did look at the screen I thought it was a star that had moved into the frame, It surprised me but It has happened before and I turned off the recording by touching the screen which shows as the light wiggles at the very end. Not until later and reviewing the video and adding filters/upping the brightness did I notice this light moving. Also I don't think any stars are visible in this video and all those white dots are "sensor glitches" or noise, I'm not sure the correct terminology.

If I need to add any additional information I will do so if requested.

To be honest, as an amateur astronomer of 50 years, I find nothing even remotely unusual about your pics and videos. I see this sort of thing all the time. Many of my videos of distant lightning ( another love of mine ) contain loads of flashing lights. They are all strobe lights from aircraft. Most jet liners have 3 strobe lights....one at the end of each wing and one near the tail. They normally come into play on landing. Aircraft also have a red light on the left wing and a green light on the right wing.....and in addition they may have powerful landing lights. The combination of these can produce all manner of odd effects.

To be honest, as an amateur astronomer of 50 years, I find nothing even remotely unusual about your pics and videos. I see this sort of thing all the time. Many of my videos of distant lightning ( another love of mine ) contain loads of flashing lights. They are all strobe lights from aircraft. Most jet liners have 3 strobe lights....one at the end of each wing and one near the tail. They normally come into play on landing. Aircraft also have a red light on the left wing and a green light on the right wing.....and in addition they may have powerful landing lights. The combination of these can produce all manner of odd effects.
Ok. What airliner is this?

What satellite is this? I've given the time of night and the general area I've recorded. I've shown screen shots that this object traveled extremely fast and potentially reappears on the other other side.

It's so unusual that as of yet there isn't a sufficient explanation to this moving light.

Unfortunately no airplanes, satellites, stars could be found to eliminate it, just a light that rapidly moves.
Let's assume for a moment, for the sake of discussion, that it is in fact not a plane, satellite or star. That does not then mean it has to be something unknown and mysterious. Could be a drone, for example. Or something else. And of course it may eventually turn out to be a plane not yet identified.

Posting here and asking folks to help identify something does not mean you will necessarily get an exact answer (and if you do, it may be awhile before it comes up). Somebody explaining why there may not be sufficient data to identify what you saw exactly is not an "excuse."

just a light that rapidly moves.
Yep.

We do have a lot of good info around when and where for this claim, I'm surprised no one has plugged this into any of the analysis programs yet to check the area for airplanes or satellites. are there any free resources I could use to try to help out with doing this?

I tried to provide as much information as possible to avoid that LIZ excuse. Unfortunately no airplanes, satellites, stars could be found to eliminate it, just a light that rapidly moves.
It's not an "excuse", it's just a fact.
You have some unidentifiable lights, and now hope that someone else correctly guesses and find evidence for the object(s) that were seen in that direction at that particular time. It's clear that you did your best to help with that. And often it works out! But as it's guesswork, there's no guarantee that it will.
And the fact that we can't really discern what the object in the video looks like is a big part of the reason why.

I tried to provide as much information as possible to avoid that LIZ excuse. Unfortunately no airplanes, satellites, stars could be found to eliminate it, just a light that rapidly moves.
As was already stated, it doesn't rule out a number of other things that can't be tracked such as drones or you have to consider the billion dollar drug trade as well as human trafficking flying aircraft with transponder off.

We do have a lot of good info around when and where for this claim, I'm surprised no one has plugged this into any of the analysis programs yet to check the area for airplanes or satellites. are there any free resources I could use to try to help out with doing this?
Big-Dipper-tracking-mount-May-22-2022-S-sharp~2.jpg
The real unfortunate part and is 100% LIZ is that as far as I can tell no stars are visible. If stars were visible then the video could be scrutinized more clearly to determine if satellites are involved. I don't even remember the exact location I recorded this particular video but these red circles are the places I do remember recording that night. I picked this location because of the claims of racetrack UAPs near Merak as well as seeing flashes of light in these areas. Also this picture represents almost exactly what my view looked like that night.

As was already stated, it doesn't rule out a number of other things that can't be tracked such as drones or you have to consider the billion dollar drug trade as well as human trafficking flying aircraft with transponder off.
....yeah, no. No. Flying around any aircraft big enough to do that without a transponder is a good way to get swarmed with fighter jets post-9/11.

Here's a still (.tiff and .png) from the footage. This frame has one of the lights on the right side around 3 'o Clock. It's interesting, there are two lights right there both moving southwest in apparent perfect unison. Feels like an satellite to me. In the footage you'll see another light just before these, on the left around 6 or so. I can't tell if these are stars or sensor noise.

Lights Near Merek.png

At the bottom of the image there's some kind of shape or possibly a structure (roof?) where the star-like lights are seen through/overlaid it; maybe sensor noise or a whole bunch of stuck pixels?

Lights Near Merek Noise?.png

Here are some links to the videos after I tried to get more info out of them without adding any additional information:

The only changes to the footage:
- Highlights bumped WAY up.
- Almost totally desaturated. (I left some hint of color to leave a sense of some of the noise in the footage. The noise seems rather magenta.)

There are actually several things moving south west, with some pretty interesting compression artifacts, if you scrub back and forth.

wetransfer links:

h.264 version, 70MBs:
https://wetransfer.com/downloads/86a11d5b60f69efb5be38acd24d0be7d20230918214555/401b628711b21c6e2b63c5a08fb48ce720230918214555/8473f7

ProRes Version, 1.36GBS:
https://wetransfer.com/downloads/9e238af8287226676517168c0249b20520230918214743/7ce4710bdbd95cb2cc59faa6063173ac20230918214743/a10f4f

I'm bored between edits and renders so I did this while watching progress bars. Maybe it'll help.

Attachments

• Lights Near Merek.tiff
    15.8 MB · Views: 34
Here's a still (.tiff and .png) from the footage. This frame has one of the lights on the right side around 3 'o Clock. It's interesting, there are two lights right there both moving southwest in apparent perfect unison. Feels like an satellite to me. In the footage you'll see another light just before these, on the left around 6 or so. I can't tell if these are stars or sensor noise.

Lights Near Merek.png

At the bottom of the image there's some kind of shape or possibly a structure (roof?) where the star-like lights are seen through/overlaid it; maybe sensor noise or a whole bunch of stuck pixels?

Lights Near Merek Noise?.png

Here are some links to the videos after I tried to get more info out of them without adding any additional information:

The only changes to the footage:
- Highlights bumped WAY up.
- Almost totally desaturated. (I left some hint of color to leave a sense of some of the noise in the footage. The noise seems rather magenta.)

There are actually several things moving south west, with some pretty interesting compression artifacts, if you scrub back and forth.

wetransfer links:

h.264 version, 70MBs:
https://wetransfer.com/downloads/86a11d5b60f69efb5be38acd24d0be7d20230918214555/401b628711b21c6e2b63c5a08fb48ce720230918214555/8473f7

ProRes Version, 1.36GBS:
https://wetransfer.com/downloads/9e238af8287226676517168c0249b20520230918214743/7ce4710bdbd95cb2cc59faa6063173ac20230918214743/a10f4f

I'm bored between edits and renders so I did this while watching progress bars. Maybe it'll help.
At 44 seconds on your ProRes version it's very clear that this light is actually moving very rapidly.

I think the "bump" is the camera reaction to this movement. Just guessing and completely open to suggestions.

I think the fact that the microphone also does not record any wind movement helps the case that this isn't wind movement causes the apparent rapid movements.

I too noticed the mirroring light and also wondered about that, maybe an internal camera reflection... Also just guessing. Or is it in fact mirroring an actual star, satellite, or it's just a coincidence.

And the roof structure is completely a sensor artifact, my camera sucks. It's a cheap budget phone camera.

Ok. What airliner is this?

What satellite is this? I've given the time of night and the general area I've recorded. I've shown screen shots that this object traveled extremely fast and potentially reappears on the other other side.

It's so unusual that as of yet there isn't a sufficient explanation to this moving light.

The point is that standard aircraft lights can do everything that is in your video. You can get all sorts of odd effects from aircraft strobe lights, which can get out of sync. Larger aircraft can have three white strobe lights, red, green and white position lights, red beacon lights, and landing and other lights. The combination of all these together can produce some very odd looking effects.

I don't see any indication whatever of anything travelling 'extremely fast'. We have no reference point in the video that would distinguish object motion from simply the camera itself moving....and I'm baffled as to how any genuine extremely fast motion would be picked up anyway with your 26 times magnification and thus narrow field of view. I mean it's not like you're gonna pick up the object travelling 90 degrees across tke sky in one second or something. With my telescope, F=700 and 20mm eyepiece I get 35x and about a .75 degree field of view. Even the smallest gust of wind or other telescope motion can produce an 'extremely fast' seeming movement !

And no....I don't see anything 'unusual' at all in your video. Often when I try to video sprites ( above thunderstorms ) at night and I set the camera to high ISO, I pick up all manner of aircraft strobe lights and other such lights that look no different to your video.

You can hear distinct wind blowing on at least 4 occasions...especially at around 18 seconds. So I don't know how you can say none was recorded.
Correct. And you don't hear the wind while the light is moving. https://wetransfer.com/downloads/9e...N_TDL_01&utm_medium=email&utm_source=sendgrid
Seems this link has expired... luckily I saved it to YouTube
Source: https://youtu.be/Zvd9WGeAkuA?si=ez7iCs4MLxBDHlj3

I suggest looking at this version of the video. As it clearly shows this light moving from one side to the other side. This isnt a plane or whatever your imagination thinks. This isn't during a storm. This isn't wind movement. It's not tumbling satellites.

It's an object moving very rapidly that none of your excuses explain. And you claim to have recorded strange phenomenon before, ok show me. Post your strange occurrences that are similar to this.

It's interesting isn't it.
The light that appears in the lower half of the screen at about 46 seconds initially seems to climb a short way relative to the star visible to its right- the light appears below the level of the star on the screen, and ends up a bit higher, then "lingers" for a few seconds.

(Still picture)

Capture.JPG

As it clearly shows this light moving from one side to the other side. This isnt a plane or whatever your imagination thinks. This isn't during a storm. This isn't wind movement. It's not tumbling satellites.

The other side of what ? Without identifying which specific stars are visible.....indeed are the other spots of light even stars or are they hot pixels or artefacts of processing....we have no idea what angular distance the apparent movement actually is. Also, was the telescope on an equatorial mount and what is the actual size of the field of view in the video. ' Wide angle' doesn't really tell us much.

I ask about equatorial mount and drive because clearly with a high magnification and small field of view I'd expect to see star motion even within 10 seconds and only an equatorial mount and drive mechanism would resolve that.

I think you've left out probably the most important piece of info of all.....what angular size of video are we looking at.

The other side of what ? Without identifying which specific stars are visible.....indeed are the other spots of light even stars or are they hot pixels or artefacts of processing....we have no idea what angular distance the apparent movement actually is. Also, was the telescope on an equatorial mount and what is the actual size of the field of view in the video. ' Wide angle' doesn't really tell us much.

I ask about equatorial mount and drive because clearly with a high magnification and small field of view I'd expect to see star motion even within 10 seconds and only an equatorial mount and drive mechanism would resolve that.

I think you've left out probably the most important piece of info of all.....what angular size of video are we looking at.
Yeah I thought about taking a video of the Big Dipper stars as a reference and unfortunately I don't have that available at the moment.

No there isn't an equatorial mount and drive mechanism, and yes the stars definitely move across the screen, however not at the rapid acceleration that my video shows this anomalous light moving.

A video I took of Jupiter. Hopefully this helps answer some of your questions.

Source: https://youtu.be/JO-Y7eHP_tw?si=gJsQ8DJ3Jid0rTOr

I do have a short reference video of two stars that appear very close to each other in the night sky, I think this is towards the southern direction in the summer sky, but I could be mistaken. Hopefully this can help you determine the angular size of video. I also have videos of the moon if that helps as well.

Source: https://youtu.be/lSHh11_5NIo?si=phss7MmRK9ObNBkA

Last edited:
Back