Glen Beck's Oklahoma Tornado Atheist Conspiracy Theory

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Glenn Beck gets a bit speculative here, suggesting that the fact that Wolf Blitzer asked a woman if she thanked the lord, and her responding that she was an atheist, was a setup by "the forces of spiritual darkness"

I agree it did seem a bit awkward . . . maybe the producers wanted to have equal time for non believers . . . not out of line or unacceptable . . . another words so what?

I agree it did seem a bit awkward . . . maybe the producers wanted to have equal time for non believers . . . not out of line or unacceptable . . . another words so what?

"Seems a bit awkward" is just Blitzer's poor live interviewing technique. The woman handled it very well.

"So what" is Beck suggesting the forces of darkness are manipulating TV producers to conspire to put more atheists on TV. It's just pure nonsense.

"Seems a bit awkward" is just Blitzer's poor live interviewing technique. The woman handled it very well.

"So what" is Beck suggesting the forces of darkness are manipulating TV producers to conspire to put more atheists on TV. It's just pure nonsense.

Yes.

A plausible alternative hypothesis is that Wolf Blitzer is simply one of the most bumblingly awkward and inarticulate professional broadcasters on television:

q.v.

I'm joking around, but that was fun.

It is just the conservative Christian fundamentalist mindset . . . the vocal minority of Christianity . . . everyone that is not one of them is controlled to some extent by the Prince of the Air . . . aka Lucifer. . . aka Satan . . .

yes.

A plausible alternative hypothesis is that wolf blitzer is simply one of the most bumblingly awkward and inarticulate professional broadcasters on television:

i'm joking around, but that was fun.

haha

Just goes to show what happens when one ASSumes.

It is just the conservative Christian fundamentalist mindset . . . the vocal minority of Christianity . . . everyone that is not one of them is controlled to some extent by the Prince of the Air . . . aka Lucifer. . . aka Satan . . .
Its an interesting statistic that christian Americans would sooner vote a religious gay man into office than an atheist. Even homophobia is trumped by the perception of ungodliness.

A plausible alternative hypothesis is that Wolf Blitzer is simply one of the most bumblingly awkward and inarticulate professional broadcasters on television:
Agreed entirely.

Its an interesting statistic that christian Americans would sooner vote a religious gay man into office than an atheist. Even homophobia is trumped by the perception of ungodliness.

Agreed entirely.
Religion . . . the belief in the spiritual realm is almost a universal cultural trait of the human species . . . I don't think there has ever been found a ethnic or tribal group that did not have a recognizable religion . . . so an appropriate or interesting question might be . . . what lead to the development of an atheist mindset . . .?
Has there ever been a human culture with no religion/gods/superstition/mythology?In Robert Sawyer's Neanderthal Parallax novels, the Neanderthals (of an alternate Earth where Homo sapiens sapiens went extinct early) have nothing of what might be called "spiritual imagination." They not only do not believe in God or gods or an afterlife, they are not even familiar with the concepts. Apparently their culture has never, ever featured belief in gods, magic, spirits, elves, fairies, goblins, demons, elementals -- supernatural beings or forces of any kind. No churches, no temples, no fanes, no priests or shamans or wizards or medicine-men. No legends or mythology -- no mention even of folk-tales.

In actual history, are there any known human cultures like that? I've never heard of one.
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=541140
Content from External Source

You must have not seen his show with Penn Jillette ? Right wing watch ? really ?

Religion . . . the belief in the spiritual realm is almost a universal cultural trait of the human species . . . I don't think there has ever been found a ethnic or tribal group that did not have a recognizable religion . . . so an appropriate or interesting question might be . . . what lead to the development of an atheist mindset . . .?

Early civilizations also had no steam trains. It's the march of progress.

More seriously I think it's to do with the evolution of both society and consciousness.

I've been of the opinion for some time that the internal search for 'greater meaning' in our personal perception of the world is an evolutionary tool of mental development. That our compulsion toward the long-pondering of entirely unanswerable questions and undefinable concepts is like the 'training weight' of abstract thought, that quintessentially human characteristic. That asking ourselves the big, and in the survival-sense entirely pointless questions in life, i.e 'who/what/why am I, who/what/why is everything?', has been vitally important in the development of our highly creative brains. I believe religion exploits this by providing answers to the unanswerable questions, satisfying that hunger to define the undefinable and harnessing that genetic drive toward abstract thought as a method of public control.

Early civilizations also had no steam trains. It's the march of progress.

More seriously I think it's to do with the evolution of both society and consciousness.
So with the sophistication of society and the evolution of human thought and thereby consciousness . . . atheistic thought was an expected result?

So with the sophistication of society and the evolution of human thought and thereby consciousness . . . atheistic thought was an expected result?

I think it's more that religion and magical thinking would be expected early components of human thought. They fade away as they become less useful. Atheism is not a developed state in itself, it's just the removal of those mental crutches.

What show?
He had Penn a Rabbi and a Preist on a hour show . He seems to like Penn Jillette even though he is a atheist . Has had him on a few times . There is a few clips on YT . He been on his show a few times .

I think it's more that religion and magical thinking would be expected early components of human thought. They fade away as they become less useful. Atheism is not a developed state in itself, it's just the removal of those mental crutches.
So are you saying IYO religion is a belief in magic?

So are you saying IYO religion is a belief in magic?

No, that's why I said religion AND magical thinking.

Religion is generally a belief in supernatural force. But other aspects to it as well (tradition, social and moral codes), and sometimes these other aspects become the predominant factor, and the supernatural aspect is greatly diminished, or even essentially absent.

Also many religious people distinguish between magic (which they see as either witchcraft or illusions), and belief in God (which is just right).

But you don't want to get too caught up in the definition of words. There's a difference between what something is, and what the definition of a word is.

You must have not seen his show with Penn Jillette ? Right wing watch ? really ?
That fact that Glenn Beck has in the past invited atheists on his show but later criticizes a network for interviewing an atheist and speculates that it was staged just to get an atheist on TV to promote secularism just makes him a hypocrite.

So what if it came from Right Wing Watch? It doesn't change what Glenn Beck really said.

That fact that Glenn Beck has in the past invited atheists on his show but later criticizes a network for interviewing an atheist and speculates that it was staged just to get an atheist on TV to promote secularism just makes him a hypocrite.

So what if it came from Right Wing Watch? It doesn't change what Glenn Beck really said.
Whats the full context ? I heard him talk about it on the radio and It didnt seem it bothered him at all . Ill Watch his full show and get the full context of what he said instead of relying on some left wing progressive hack site . There are plenty of Secularist on TV . Probably more then religious .

Glenn Beck gets a bit speculative here, suggesting that the fact that Wolf Blitzer asked a woman if she thanked the lord, and her responding that she was an atheist, was a setup by "the forces of spiritual darkness"

1:14 seems to be something missing ?

NPR had an excerpt from a lady that came out of her storm shelter and looked around and didn't see anyone, so she said that she wondered "If the second coming had happened and she had done been left behind. " Then other folks started showing up.

NPR had an excerpt from a lady that came out of her storm shelter and looked around and didn't see anyone, so she said that she wondered "If the second coming had happened and she had done been left behind. " Then other folks started showing up.

Quite understandable really.

Glenn seems like a really nice guy, he's just got a lot of strange ideas.
I listen to him that day on the radio and what he said that when he worked for CNN religion was taboo . Which is why he found the statement strange . Even with the clip provided that seems to be missing something It did seem rehearsed . I didnt get anything out of it of him saying atheist were behind it . Just that it seemed staged . Then the rest of it jumps to the last statement . Yea I just watched it severely edited ,and much more afterwards . I also noticed how many times the same edited clip shows up on You Tube . Dont you know this is all political . Im quite surprised you didnt notice the hack edit job Mick ? Ill try to put it up in full context for you when I get a chance .

Wasn't as awkward as another interview I saw. Think it was on MSNBC. Reporter told a family to have a group hug.

I've been of the opinion for some time that the internal search for 'greater meaning' in our personal perception of the world is an evolutionary tool of mental development. That our compulsion toward the long-pondering of entirely unanswerable questions and undefinable concepts is like the 'training weight' of abstract thought, that quintessentially human characteristic. That asking ourselves the big, and in the survival-sense entirely pointless questions in life, i.e 'who/what/why am I, who/what/why is everything?', has been vitally important in the development of our highly creative brains. I believe religion exploits this by providing answers to the unanswerable questions, satisfying that hunger to define the undefinable and harnessing that genetic drive toward abstract thought as a method of public control.

You could be right. I might also be how man explains to himself that which he does not understand. "God did it."

I listen to him that day on the radio and what he said that when he worked for CNN religion was taboo . Which is why he found the statement strange . Even with the clip provided that seems to be missing something It did seem rehearsed . I didnt get anything out of it of him saying atheist were behind it . Just that it seemed staged . Then the rest of it jumps to the last statement . Yea I just watched it severely edited ,and much more afterwards . I also noticed how many times the same edited clip shows up on You Tube . Dont you know this is all political . Im quite surprised you didnt notice the hack edit job Mick ? Ill try to put it up in full context for you when I get a chance .

You're right his words don't mean he thought athiests were behind it. Quoting Ephesians 6:12, or whatever passes for Ephesians 6:12 in his Mormon bible, quite clearly says that he thinks Satan was behind it.

You're right his words don't mean he thought athiests were behind it. Quoting Ephesians 6:12, or whatever passes for Ephesians 6:12 in his Mormon bible, quite clearly says that he thinks Satan was behind it.
Thats because their are different types of atheist . There are the radical atheist that want to eradicate religion in the United States the ones that I would compare to the westboro baptist church , Then there are the ones that dont care and have no problem with someone elses beliefs . Penn Jilette in the video says he an atheist not a agnostic and says he just doesnt know whether or not there is a god ? @22:00 in the video posed above . Did you notice the bad edit in micks video ? there is qutie a bi missing @1:14 in the Video and the ending as well that adds context to what he said . This attack is purely Political ,

Iv watched that episode and this clip is edited and has no ending @1;14 edit there is 2 minutes of missing context to this vid . This is politically motivated stunt to rile up the radical atheist movement , You have been played by the Obama administration . Too smart for God yet very gullible for propaganda !

Iv watched that episode and this clip is edited and has no ending @1;14 edit there is 2 minutes of missing context to this vid . This is politically motivated stunt to rile up the radical atheist movement , You have been played by the Obama administration . Too smart for God yet very gullible for propaganda !

What was missing? Is he NOT suggesting that it was staged? Is he not suggesting the forces of darkness were involved?

Thats because their are different types of atheist . There are the radical atheist that want to eradicate religion in the United States the ones that I would compare to the westboro baptist church

Go on then. Name some, and explain how they are like the Westboro baptists.

What was missing? Is he NOT suggesting that it was staged? Is he not suggesting the forces of darkness were involved?
He suggested since he worked for CNN that its very unusual . The dark forces are not those who are atheist . It clearly seemed stage but was staged is your video . Its funny how a atheist stick together when they feel their belief in nothing is under attack or think its insulting when they think they are being referred to as dark forces when Im sure they dont think exist ????? Its another political attack from the left on the right . Like the IRS targeting the right or the whole RightWingWatch garbage . Maybe they should pay more attention to their own which seems a little out of control .

Go on then. Name some, and explain how they are like the Westboro baptists.
Making them remove crosses from war memorials ? Lawsuits galore where the minority trumps the majority . A true Atheist wouldn't care . A activist pushes atheism on others much like religion . My point on God is there could be one or not ? I just dont know and doubt if I ever will .To say there is not a God flat out is like saying you know everything there is to know about the universe . Nobody really knows . Nobody is that intelligent . Atheists Want Vietnam War Memorial Cross Removed

Fire it up62

[Broken External Image]:http://nation.foxnews.com/sites/nation.foxnews.com/files/styles/dv1/public/mar27_kcby.gif

Read more: http://nation.foxnews.com/vietnam-w...tnam-war-memorial-cross-removed#ixzz2UPx8cIlv
[h=1]Mount Soledad cross controversy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Soledad_cross_controversy[/h]

I don't think atheism was under attack (any more that normal). I just thought it was Glenn Beck suggesting a rather strange and unlikely conspiracy.

He IS suggesting it was staged, is he not? Even if he qualifies it by saying it does not look like what went on when he was at CNN five years ago. It's still a bizarre conspiracy theory.

Making them remove crosses from war memorials ? Lawsuits galore where the minority trumps the majority . A true Atheist wouldn't care . A activist pushes atheism on others much like religion . My point on God is there could be one or not ? I just dont know and doubt if I ever will .To say there is not a God flat out is like saying you know everything there is to know about the universe . Nobody really knows . Nobody is that intelligent . Atheists Want Vietnam War Memorial Cross Removed

I (an atheist) don't personally care that much about the crosses issue, but I agree with the underlying principles that public money or assets should not be used to promote one religion. You have to draw the line somewhere, so there are always going to be contentious cases near the line.

But it's hardly the same thing as holding up signs at a funeral saying "your son died because God hates fags".

I (an atheist) don't personally care that much about the crosses issue, but I agree with the underlying principles that public money or assets should not be used to promote one religion. You have to draw the line somewhere, so there are always going to be contentious cases near the line.

But it's hardly the same thing as holding up signs at a funeral saying "your son died because God hates fags".
Not if your loved ones are buried there and gave their life ? I find it disgusting . We piss away public money on everything else ? send i to our enemies ? I find it just as bad . It is activism . You were still raised with religion as I was . Your morals come from where ? Look where society is today without it ? I wouldnt say its improved .

Not if your loved ones are buried there and gave their life ? I find it disgusting . We piss away public money on everything else ? send i to our enemies ? I find it just as bad . It is activism . You were still raised with religion as I was . Your morals come from where ? Look where society is today without it ? I wouldnt say its improved .

Nobody is buried there. It's just a memorial. There are plenty of crosses on grave markers on government land in military cemeteries.

You don't need religion for morals. Plenty of people are raised atheist, and do just fine. Anyway, should I pretend a god exists just so I can trick myself into acting more moral?

Nobody is buried there. It's just a memorial. There are plenty of crosses on grave markers on government land in military cemeteries.

You don't need religion for morals. Plenty of people are raised atheist, and do just fine. Anyway, should I pretend a god exists just so I can trick myself into acting more moral?
No you should believe in whatever you believe even if its nothing .Our society surely reflects how moral we become . Also don't Christians pay taxes ? Why should they be taken down ? Who does it harm ? Its all political ! Do you have any proof there isnt a God ? has It been debunked ? I missed that thread ? Is there not enough data ?

Back