Explained: Large Cigar Shaped Object Caught Shooting Into Storm Cloud In Spain [Reflection]

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member

A video of a lightning storm shared on Facebook appears to show a large white object flying into a cloud, which then lights up, like from an explosion.

However if we flip the bottom half of the image, we can see that the "object" is exactly opposite the bright side-light of the passing car:

The flashes in the cloud are just lightning. The full video shows many such flashes. Have a look at the full length original video (cropped for clarity here, to show the cloud and the cars)

The moving light is just an internal lens reflection of the car light. Such reflections are quite commonly seen when taking video that includes the Sun. This internal reflection mirrors the position of the light source approximately around the center of the image, as we can see if we look at the full sized original video:

Why only on this car? It's just that it needs a very bright direct light, and the other cars did not have a direct light on the sides. Perhaps this car had a cracked headlight, or unusual side lights.

You can see the reflections elsewhere though, when the cameraman pans away.

Here's a short video I made in my garage demonstrating these types of center mirrored lens reflections on an iPhone 6

A rather speculative youtube video attempts to interpret as a "UFO", but in their analysis they cropped out the passing car, and so totally missed the actual cause:

Last edited:
although translations can be wonky, yes, it doesnt seem they saw it at all in real life.
In an interview with Martha Perez, told us that He caught my attention this cloud, as it was totally clear and excelled on the horizon, what reason to shoot the video. He also explained that first shared and commented on the video with his family, who noticed the luminous object and decided to share it on social networks to make it known and seek more opinions. http://www.graficx.com.mx/2014/10/ovni-entra-una-nube-antes-del-eclipse.html
Content from External Source
mperez.PNG

Last edited:
A bit off topic, but I've always wondered why so many UFO videos and photos like the one in the OP of any sort of elongated shape get described as "cigar shaped".

I find it hard to imagine that a cigar is the first object to pop into people's minds when asked to described things like the long bright streak in the OP video.

Who when looking at the OP video sees it and thinks "that looks like a cigar"?

A bit off topic, but I've always wondered why so many UFO videos and photos like the one in the OP of any sort of elongated shape get described as "cigar shaped".

I find it hard to imagine that a cigar is the first object to pop into people's minds when asked to described things like the long bright streak in the OP video.

I usually go with "legless dachshund!"

It is interesting: it's one of those "pop culture" things. Just like the concept of a "flying saucer". That phrase dates back to Kenneth Arnold's UFO sighting in 1947, but it didn't refer to the shape, it referred to the motion. He said the craft moved "like a saucer would if you skipped it across water", but he described the craft as boomerang-shaped:

7569cb274fcca099c38561469fd78720.jpg

It's interesting that as soon as the phrase "flying saucer" entered the mainstream, most UFOs suddenly looked like saucers!

And going back to the original video, it is a very neat coincidence of timing. Even with the obvious explanation, my brain still sees something entering the cloud and exploding. Of course, with the ubiquity of digital cameras on mobile phones these days, these sorts of "rare coincidences" will be more and more commonplace. You could say "what are the odds that the reflection would appear to enter the cloud just as the lightning strikes?" Well, pretty low. But when you consider that one hour of video is uploaded to YouTube every second, there are going to be a heck of a lot of one-in-a-million shots out there!

Last edited:
You could say "what are the odds that the reflection would appear to enter the cloud just as the lightning strikes?" Well, pretty low. But when you consider that one hour of video is uploaded to YouTube every second, there are going to be a heck of a lot of one-in-a-million shots out there!

With the amount of lighting going on there's this is more like a one-in-twenty shot. There's some pretty dramatic lightning about every three seconds:

It is interesting: it's one of those "pop culture" things. Just like the concept of a "flying saucer". That phrase dates back to Kenneth Arnold's UFO sighting in 1947, but it didn't refer to the shape, it referred to the motion. He said the craft moved "like a saucer would if you skipped it across water", but he described the craft as boomerang-shaped:

It's interesting that as soon as the phrase "flying saucer" entered the mainstream, most UFOs suddenly looked like saucers!
Which co-insides with when the Americans were testing the captured nazi Horten Ho229-v3 prototype
a9db4c8d818d2f49b68690cae4c88d1b.png

as well as their own Flying wing designs like the Northrop N-9M
e5aacf39cf62091e50e1714534954fee.jpg

And the Northrop YB-35
30fe71e713b52c57edb6a6aa7bf80107.jpg

So my guess is Mr Arnold saw one of these.

With the amount of lighting going on there's this is more like a one-in-twenty shot. There's some pretty dramatic lightning about every three seconds:

Having watched the full video, I agree in this case. Even so, with the sheer volume of photographs and video being shot each day, we should expect to see more and more "lucky shots" appearing. It's also why we see so many more pictures of unusual cloud formations etc, of course.

Back