Effect of mid-range Mohs (hardness scale) Volcanic Ash on aircraft v Aluminium oxide

TWCobra

Senior Member.
One of the most often heard claims by chemtrailers is that Aluminium oxide is being sprayed by aircraft. Presumably this means that other aircraft are flying in an atmosphere laden with aluminium oxide and would be colliding with the particles all the time.

In the early 80's a British Airways 747 (Speedbird 9 from Kuala Lumpur to Perth, Australia) had a volcanic ash encounter over Java as Mt Galunggung erupted unannounced. One of the effects was to clog the engines as the heat in the combustion chambers turned the silicates effectively into glass, which caused all four engines to flame out. They got them all back after they exited the ash cloud.

As the flight returned to Halim airport near Jakarta, the captain thought that the weather had gone foggy because the view out of his windows was "fuzzy". What had actually happened was that the volcanic ash had abraded the windscreens, as well as all the leading edges of the wings, tailplane ,vertical stabilizer and engines. All had to be replaced before the aircraft could fly again.

Volcanic ash has a Mohs scale rating of between 5 and 6. Aluminium oxide has a Mohs scale rating of 9. It is used as an alternative to industrial diamonds. It is used to make sandpaper.

Chemtrailers ask us to believe that aircraft fly around all day in aluminium oxide fall-out. I would suggest such a suggestion is ludicrous considering that a 10 minute ash encounter did this to the 747's windscreens.

ba_009_windshield.jpg

This has been posted before by I made a film of me in my A330 flying through hours of what many people consider to be chemtrails. My windscreens remain mysteriously unaffected. Funny about that.

[video=youtube_share;EB5WiCZHXws]http://youtu.be/EB5WiCZHXws[/video]

That 747 ended up with European Aviation, Paul Stoddard's mob. Some of the guys I flew with in Air Atlanta reckoned it was in our fleet but I checked and tracked it down to EA.
I was always nervous flying in & out of that area (was based in KL for five years) and always read the notams to make sure we were clear of any volcanic plumes. Saw plenty of them out the windows as well.
In the mid 90's I flew a Citation 2 in PNG and operated in & out of Tokua when Rabaul was erupting.
Photo on late downwind ....

Had a compressor wash on return to Port Moresby every time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even incidental contact by an aircraft with volcanic ash will leave abrasion. One of the Qantas 767's VH-OGF, was flying to Hong Kong not long after the Mt Pinatubo eruption. The pilots thought they were flying in relatively clear air. In reality they were flying in a thin, dispersed layer of ash that was almost invisble to the eye. It looked like a layer of haze.

From that day on OGF sported a burnished set of leading edges on its wings, clearly visible from inside the aircraft. Now CT believers tell us that the air is full of aluminium oxide which is much harder, almost diamond like yet, pilots do not report mysterious abrasion damage to their aircraft?

Even incidental contact by an aircraft with volcanic ash will leave abrasion. One of the Qantas 767's VH-OGF, was flying to Hong Kong not long after the Mt Pinatubo eruption. The pilots thought they were flying in relatively clear air. In reality they were flying in a thin, dispersed layer of ash that was almost invisble to the eye. It looked like a layer of haze.

From that day on OGF sported a burnished set of leading edges on its wings, clearly visible from inside the aircraft. Now CT believers tell us that the air is full of aluminium oxide which is much harder, almost diamond like yet, pilots do not report mysterious abrasion damage to their aircraft?

Are aircraft told to avoid rocket polluted air as it drifts into air lanes used by airlines . . . ?

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/2000-10/973014746.Es.r.html

There were 78 space launches worldwide in 1999, almost all much smaller
than the space shuttle.

The pollution caused by space launches depends not only on the total
quantity of the fuels used, but on their chemical composition..

Propellants used for powering space launches are of four types:

1. Solid - Propellants that are a mixture of solid chemicals - a fuel and
an oxidizer - that burn at a rapid rate when ignited, expelling hot gasses
from a nozzle to achieve thrust. Fireworks are an example of the use of
this kind of propellant. The combustion products depend on the chemicals
used. The space shuttle uses potassium perchlorate (KClO4) and powdered
aluminum. The combustion products are potassium chloride and aluminum
oxide
Content from External Source

Yes they are. They are called Restricted Areas and they are activated for every launch. No pilot would deliberately fly into the exhaust plume of a rocket launch.

By the way...

Are aircraft told to avoid rocket polluted air as it drifts into air lanes used by airlines . . . ?

Aluminium is common used as part of the "Fuel" in Solid Rocket Propellants - Like the 2 Boosters from the shuttle

Solid propellant motors are the simplest of all rocket designs. Modern composite propellants are heterogeneous powders (mixtures) that use a crystallized or finely ground mineral salt as an oxidizer, often ammonium perchlorate, which constitutes between 60% and 90% of the mass of the propellant. The fuel itself is generally aluminum. The propellant is held together by a polymeric binder, usually polyurethane or polybutadienes, which is also consumed as fuel. Additional compounds are sometimes included, such as a catalyst to help increase the burning rate, or other agents to make the powder easier to manufacture. The final product is rubber like substance with the consistency of a hard rubber eraser.
Content from External Source

Source: http://www.braeunig.us/space/propel.htm

This Aluminium used in solid Rockets is powdered as small as possible for best reaction. By the way - Pure Aluminium Powder is highly self-explosive, it can burn in a Dust explosion.

Yes they are. They are called Restricted Areas and they are activated for every launch. No pilot would deliberately fly into the exhaust plume of a rocket launch.
So how long would it take for this polluted air to become safe to transverse . . . ? Seems the aluminum oxide would eventually disperse to a concentration that would no longer be a threat . . . otherwise all air traffic would have to be suspended down wind of any rocket launch for hours or days . . . so it is a question of temporary concentration (ppb or ppm) not whether aluminum oxide could be safely released into the atmosphere in significant quantities . . .

So how long would it take for this polluted air to become safe to transverse . . . ? Seems the aluminum oxide would eventually disperse to a concentration that would no longer be a threat . . . otherwise all air traffic would have to be suspended down wind of any rocket launch for hours or days . . . so it is a question of temporary concentration (ppb or ppm) not whether aluminum oxide could be safely released into the atmosphere in significant quantities . . .

Hours would be my guess George. The shutoff of the solid rocket boosters on the shuttle was at 150,000 feet and a little over two minutes from liftoff. Most of the aluminium oxide would be in the stratosphere or... heyyyyyy maybe THAT was your covert operation?

As far as CT theory goes, the persistent contrails are actually a visible blanket of chemicals, mainly Aluminium oxide emitted in large quantities from many jets. Other jets fly in this blanket... like I do. If it is visible then it must be a significant concentration. The question is, why do jets who have a service life of decades, exhibit no signs of flying in this highly abrasive concoction?

Hours would be my guess George. The shutoff of the solid rocket boosters on the shuttle was at 150,000 feet and a little over two minutes from liftoff. Most of the aluminium oxide would be in the stratosphere or... heyyyyyy maybe THAT was your covert operation?

As far as CT theory goes, the persistent contrails are actually a visible blanket of chemicals, mainly Aluminium oxide emitted in large quantities from many jets. Other jets fly in this blanket... like I do. If it is visible then it must be a significant concentration. The question is, why do jets who have a service life of decades, exhibit no signs of flying in this highly abrasive concoction?
If the aluminum was a fuel additive I don't think the visibility would be due entirely to the aluminum but to the same aerosol atmospheric laws that persistent contrails exhibit (primarily water vapor going into liquid and solid state) . . . the idea that dry dedicated aluminum injection could sustain such visibility is way over the top . . . not going to happen . . .

Sure we need about 20 shuttle launches each day . . . might work . . . LoL!!!

Yes but if Aluminium is a fuel additive you run into the problem of destroying the fuel system and the engines. Pure aluminium burns at 4000C. The byproduct of burning it is Aluminium oxide.

Putting pure aluminium through a combustion chamber would ignite it and destroy the combustion chamber. If the fire in the combustion chamber didn't destroy the engine, the aluminium oxide by product through the turbine would.

If it is aluminium oxide being used then similar problems occur. It is indissoluble in jet fuel which means it would destroy fuel pumps by abrasion. Then it would get to the turbine, a mechanism delicately balanced on oil bearings which spins at many thousands of RPM. Any unbalancing caused by erosion would destroy the turbine.

Additives in the fuel simply does not make sense from the point of view that the trails would always be visible at any altitude. They patently are not.

Yes but if Aluminium is a fuel additive you run into the problem of destroying the fuel system and the engines. Pure aluminium burns at 4000C. The byproduct of burning it is Aluminium oxide.

Putting pure aluminium through a combustion chamber would ignite it and destroy the combustion chamber. If the fire in the combustion chamber didn't destroy the engine, the aluminium oxide by product through the turbine would.

If it is aluminium oxide being used then similar problems occur. It is indissoluble in jet fuel which means it would destroy fuel pumps by abrasion. Then it would get to the turbine, a mechanism delicately balanced on oil bearings which spins at many thousands of RPM. Any unbalancing caused by erosion would destroy the turbine.

Additives in the fuel simply does not make sense from the point of view that the trails would always be visible at any altitude. They patently are not.
I think visibility depends upon concentration . . . I would agree that it doesn't make sense based upon temperature and corrosion issues ; however, it has been suggested as a technique by scientific papers . . . I don't know if they really considered all the potential problems . . .

Also, it would require significant engineering but would some type of after combustion chamber injection be possible like an afterburner that would avoid moving parts and be added in the exhaust stream?

Anything is possible. There is nothing like that on any commercial aircraft that I am aware of. Why does it need to be combusted BTW? The byproduct of burning aluminium is aluminium oxide, which is what many CT believers are convinced is being sprayed. Why not simply spray it?

Any spraying apparatus would run into similar problems with erosion and abrasion, but in fairness there may be workarounds for that.

That's the killer of the whole half-arsed theory of the additives being in the fuel.
And the total lack of any extra equipment found anywhere else in any airliner ever kills the other half-arsed theory of it being injected only at certain times of the flight.

Anything is possible. There is nothing like that on any commercial aircraft that I am aware of. Why does it need to be combusted BTW? The byproduct of burning aluminium is aluminium oxide, which is what many CT believers are convinced is being sprayed. Why not simply spray it?

Any spraying apparatus would run into similar problems with erosion and abrasion, but in fairness there may be workarounds for that.
Bottom line . . . IMO there are only two substances cheap and abundant enough to use in a CT scenario and they are Aluminum and SOx . . . seems Aluminum cannot be used without detection so it just leaves SOx . . .

Back