Debunked: The Extinction Protocol, unprecedented' events in 2012?

Pete Tar

Senior Member.
see page and comments, here...

s-51.jpg

http://theextinctionprotocol.wordpr...earth-in-first-three-months-of-2012/#comments

Given a lack of general familiarity on what would be 'precedented' events, is this an accurate representation and interpretation?
Is the earth building towards something?
Would it be prudent or paranoid to assume so?

It seems compelling. They could be signs of recurring activity in the earth's geologic cycles, or new ones brought about by as-yet unknown influences, man-made or off-earth (unknown solar or stellar influences). No particular supernatural theories are being put forward as the cause here, other than the general 'apocalyptic/imminent rapture' christian beliefs seemingly behind the site and apparent in the comments; mostly it sticks to the facts.

But, it is a highly selective group of facts, that fit a particular picture (the destruction of civilisation) that fits a particular belief (christian eschatology.) Is the collection and subsequent presentation of these facts warranted?

It's hard to judge fairly because there may well be things we are yet to experience as far as the earth's condition is concerned, and just because a particular death cult has beliefs about the end of the world, does not mean reality could not happen to line up with those beliefs. And if something is going on, I want to know about it.
As humans, we are prone to the urge to collect clues in order to know 'what is going on'. The question is, is the conclusion that we come up with just our brain filling in the gaps, using our cultural stories to make some narrative sense out of bits of recognisable data in the midst of the overwhelming chaos?

But back to the point, if you had some familiarity with these things, is it fair to say these are unprecedented occurrences?

To me it looks like a selective group of 'facts' that were cherry picked to meet a preconceived notion. Just about every year it is possible to get just as many or even more 'facts' that show that something monumental is going to happen. The end of the world people are very good at doing this. Just look up the origins of Planet X and see how many times it was predicted to end the world and all the Earth extremes that are touted to support their theory.

I am a weather spotter so I will use the tornado outbreak as an example. Every year there are tornadoes. This year being no exception. If a large number of tornadoes was a sign of impending doom then we would have ended back in 1974 during the Super Outbreak when 148 tornadoes were recorded on April 3-4. The tornadoes occurring in February is not all that strange either. In 2008 there was an outbreak in February in which 87 tornadoes were recorded. Tornadoes can occur at any time of year. I remember a few years ago we had one close to where I live at the end of November. The doom sayers then were using that as a sign of the end of the world too.

The first load of bunk that stands out is the list of mag. 7+ earthquakes that allegedly occured on March 25.

7.2 Indonesia, 7.1 Vanuatu, 7.4 Mexico, 7.1 Chile
According to the USGS:
The only one on that list that happened on 3/25 was the one in Chile.
The Oaxaca, Mexico quake was on 3/20.
The strongest quake in Vanuatu I could find was a 6.7 on 3/09.
The strongest quake in Indonesia I could find was a 6.1 on 3/20.
According to USGS, there have been a total of 4 mag. 7.0 - 7.9 quakes reported to date for 2012, which is exactly how many we should expect based on historical averages.

Let's look at the list point by point:

-6,000 "weather records" broken in March.
Was actually 6,000 high temperature records broken in the US, which is not unexpected for a warm spell covering some of the densest population areas in the country, meaning more locations recording weather info. Also we need to consider that accurate weather records have been kept at any given location for no more than 150 years, many for much less time.

-46 volcanic eruptions in 3 months, most ever recorded by USGS was 78 in 2008.
Not sure where they get those stats. However, 'm pretty sure those stats describe total active volcanoes at any given time though. There are a lot more active volcanoes on the planet than most people realize.

-Warm winter in most of US, brutal winter in Europe and Alaska.
They forgot to mention Asia also endured a brutal winter. Regardless, weather patterns shift from year to year. Remember the previous couple of winters for most of the US was long, cold and snowy.

-Record number of reports of sonic booms associated with small tremors.
I believe many have been explained by mining/quarrying operations and military activity. Some locations have a long history of "boom" events as well. AFAIK, very few are yet to be explained.

-Central Australia largest quake in 15 years
It was only a 5.6 and if there was another large quake 15 years ago then the recent one is hardly unprecedented and indicates a cycle in quake activity.

-Signs of unrest at Mt. Fuji
There has been some activity in the past year or two but nothing that would indicate an eruption is imminent. It is an active volcano after all.

-Strongest solar storms in 6 years
Yes, it's called the solar cycle. In fact, the coming solar maximum is predicted to be one of the weakest in modern history.

-Severe drought in portions of Mexico and South America
Blame La Nina. Hmmmm, those "cloud seeding" coronal discharge ionizers in parts of Mexico don't seem to be helping.

-Two close shaves with asteroids
They actually weren't that close and were never a threat. Yawn.

-March 4-5 fireballs
Fireballs are frequently observed worldwide. Yawn again.

-Record flooding hits NSW Australia
Floods and droughts come and go in Australia, mostly governed by oceanic cycles.

-New island from volcanic eruption
Cool. The volcanic activity that ultimately formed the island started last year. Volcanic islands forming is not at all unusual.

-Worst sandstorm in living memory hits Saudi Arabia
Wow, a bad sandstorm in Saudi Arabia. Whenever a report says something like "worst in living memory", it's probably more anecdotal than anything.

-Northern UK region winter gale storms worst in 50 years
Again, weather patterns come and go in cycles. The Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation and the Arctic Oscillation are the primary factors in UK weather patterns.

-February tornado outbreak
Nighthawk explains that one pretty well.

A common theme in all this is understanding cycles, both climate and geologic. The current weather patterns are very similar to the weather patterns during most of the 60's and 70's. Earthquake activity was at historical lows about 20 or 30 years ago and has been steadily increasing. Over the years we have also increased our ability to detect and report things such as tornadoes, hurricanes and earthquakes. In addition, the internet has allowed access to real time information that was not readily available in the past.

I also think a lot of people don't consider or experience the harsh world outside of their comfy controlled indoor environments. Maybe they should just get out more often.

But back to the point, if you had some familiarity with these things, is it fair to say these are unprecedented occurrences?

Nope...just business as usual on planet Earth.

-6,000 "weather records" broken in March.
Was actually 6,000 high temperature records broken in the US, which is not unexpected for a warm spell covering some of the densest population areas in the country, meaning more locations recording weather info. Also we need to consider that accurate weather records have been kept at any given location for no more than 150 years, many for much less time.

Indeed, that's just probably just one weather record broken, but in 6,000 places.

With the record keeping being only 150 years, that means that each year there's a 1 in 1/150 chance of breaking a particular record, and since there's lots of different records, and lots of places, it's almost guaranteed that many records will be broken every years.

Thanks for the sense. I was raised an apocalyptic christian, so these generalising ways of looking at certain things to fit that have a kind of genetic hold on my mind sometimes.
And certainly it is the increase in access to information that feeds this picture.

This is going to be a big year for collecting data that fits a story of increasing severity and destabilisation of our world.
I wonder if they will lose a bit of momentum when life goes on as usual next year. (IF, I mean if!)

Climate change is a real phenomenon and a genuine concern though, and we should be paying attention to trends of change and making adjustments to where and how we live accordingly, but it's important to resist the urge to create elaborate stories about it.
Unfortunately it's what humans are best at....

Quotes mentioning Narrativium from Science of Discworld (I, II and III)

Our minds make stories, and stories make our minds. Each culture's Make-a-Human kit is built from stories, and maintained by stories. A story can be a rule for living according to one's culture, a useful survival trick, a clue to the grandeur of the universe, or a mental hypothesis about what might happen if we pursue a particular course. Stories map out the phase space of existence (II: 327).

The characteristic feature of narrativium is that it makes stories hang together. The human mind loves a good dose of narrativium. (I:64)

A little narrativium goes a long way: the simpler the story, the better you understand it. Storytelling is the opposite of reductionism: 26 letters and some rules of grammar are no story at all. (I: 93)

Narrativium is powerful stuff. We have always had a drive to paint stories on to the Universe. When humans first looked at the stars, which are great flaming suns an unimaginable distance away, they saw in amongst them giant bulls, dragons, and local heroes. This human trait doesn't affect what the rules say -- not much, anyway -- but it does determine which rules we are willing to contemplate in the first place. Moreover, the rules of the universe have to be able to produce everything that we humans observe, which introduce a kind of narrative imperative into science, too. Humans think in stories.... (I: 11)

Humans add narrativium to their world. They insist on interpreting the universe as if it's telling a story. This leads them to focus on facts that fit the story, while ignoring those that don't. (I:233)

...humans seem to need to project a kind of interior decoration on to the universe, so that they spend much of the time in a world of their own making. We seem --at least at the moment-- to need these things. Concepts like gods, truth and the soul appear to exist only in so far as humans consider them to do so... But they work some magic for us. They add narrativium to our culture. They bring pain, hope despair, and comfort. They wind up our elastic. Good or bad, they've made us into people. (I: 166)

Our children have been hearing stories since they recognized any words at all, and by three years old they are making up their own stories about what is happening around them. We are all impressed by their vocabulary skills, and by their acquisition of syntax and semantics; but we should also note how good they are at making narratives out of events. From about five years old, they get their parents to do things for them by placing those things in narrative context. And most of their games with peers have a context, within which stories are played out. The context they create is just like that of the animal and fairy stories we tell them. The parents don't instruct the child how to do this, nor do the children have to elicit the 'right' storytelling behaviours from their parents. This is an evolutionary complicity. It seems very natural --after all, we are Pan narrans-- that we tell stories to children, and that children and parents enjoy the activity. We learn about 'narrativium' very early in our development, and we use it and promote it for the whole of our lives. (II: 152)

It looks like Ian Stewart and Jack Cohen are the source of the coinage Pan narrans, of which they say
We are not Homo sapiens, Wise Man. We are the third chimpanzee. What distinguishes us from the ordinary chimpanzee Pan troglodytes and the bonobo chimpanzee Pan paniscus, is something far more subtle than our enormous brain, three times as large as theirs in proportion to body weight. It is what that brain makes possible. And the most significant contribution that our large brain made to our approach to the universe was to endow us with the power of story. We are Pan narrans, the storytelling ape. (II: 325)

...if you understand the power of story, and learn to detect abuses of it, you might actually deserve the appellation Homo sapiens. (II: 330)

I started a home weather station last year.
So far, every record has been broken this year.

Today is the first, last, hottest, coldest, longest, shortest, cloudiest, sunnyist (?), wettest, and driest March 30 this year here.

And it is the same over here----->, and over there <---------, and over there ^^^^^^ too!

You have made a crack at the seismic event in Central Australia - may I let you know that you should school yourself up a little about that country - the event measured 6.1 on the Richter Scale - not 5.6. The region rarely experiences Earthquakes of that magnitude because of its stable geological make-up. Maybe you could also be told that AUSTRALIA is ony slightly smaller than the USA - there is no 15 year cycle. Why was there no aftershocks - maybe there were and that Pine Gap has put a block on any further indformation coming from the region. Goldseeker

You have made a crack at the seismic event in Central Australia - may I let you know that you should school yourself up a little about that country - the event measured 6.1 on the Richter Scale - not 5.6. The region rarely experiences Earthquakes of that magnitude because of its stable geological make-up. Maybe you could also be told that AUSTRALIA is ony slightly smaller than the USA - there is no 15 year cycle. Why was there no aftershocks - maybe there were and that Pine Gap has put a block on any further indformation coming from the region. Goldseeker

Perhaps it is you who should educate yourself on Earthquakes in Australia. Here, I'll help a bit.

First, the quake on March 23 WAS a 5.6 as reported by the USGS (Geoscience Australia has it at 5.7):

http://neic.usgs.gov/neis/bulletin/neic_ymas.html

Here is a page that shows the seismicity of Australia along with maps and info:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/world/?regionID=6

Looks to me like Australia is prone to earthquake activity. While granted, it is uncommon for a 5.6 mag quake in that region it is hardly unheard of or even rare. It also looks like in the last week there have been 11 earthquakes in Australia with three close to the March 23 quake. A mag 3.3 on March 30 centered almost on top of the March 23rd quake. A mag 3.9 and a mag 1.7 on March 25th.

http://www.ga.gov.au/earthquakes/index.jsp

Made a crack? Where? All I said was:

-Central Australia largest quake in 15 years
It was only a 5.6 and if there was another large quake 15 years ago then the recent one is hardly unprecedented and indicates a cycle in quake activity.

I never said there was a 15 year cycle...I simply said it "indicates a cycle...". Which is pretty much true. According to this University of Western Australia "Table of Important Australian Earthquakes", on average since 1892 there is a mag 5.0 or higher earthquake somewhere in Australia every 7.2 years. The time between quakes for that period ranges from 3 months up to 23 years.

Who was it again that should school themselves up on Australia, goldseeker? :confused:

interesting ATS thread on the same topic...

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread826575/pg1

some good quotes;

i think you are not realizing what a major role the internet has in spreading information...

I am 33 yrs old and was there when the internet revolution started...and this is the result..tons of information coming in on daily basis

you are just being scared with the amount of information which i can assure you that it was there before ...not reaching you though...before the internet the information was based on a 30mins news broadcast

i know i might sound strange...i will speak only regarding my own personal experience from now on :

before the internet >

i never heard about the following :

Illuminati
Apocalyptic Solar Flares
Mayan Calendar
Nibiru
etc

i never had excess to important sites such as for >

Earthquake monitoring
Volcanic Activity Live data
SOHO Sun Monitors
FORUMS like this one
Foreign News Channels
Documentaries on Demand!!

after all yes..i believe we are living the Internet Revolution

we might even proof i think that these events peaked once the internet bandwidth speed permitted Youtube to become popular as much as the TV set

think about this..I'm from Malta...did you ever speak with anonymous Maltese People 1 to 1 prior the internet? ..you can see how amazing is that

ok...i will find you some data ..

Animal Die Offs :

On average, 163 such events are reported to the federal government each year, according to USGS records. And there have been much larger die-offs than the 3,000 blackbirds in Arkansas. Twice in the summer of 1996, more than 100,000 ducks died of botulism in Canada.​

Mass animal die-offs are not uncommon

Earthquakes :

We continue to be asked by many people throughout the world if earthquakes are on the increase. Although it may seem that we are having more earthquakes, earthquakes of magnitude 7.0 or greater have remained fairly constant. A partial explanation may lie in the fact that in the last twenty years, we have definitely had an increase in the number of earthquakes we have been able to locate each year. This is because of the tremendous increase in the number of seismograph stations in the world and the many improvements in global communications. In 1931, there were about 350 stations operating in the world; today, there are more than 8,000 stations and the data now comes in rapidly from these stations by electronic mail, internet and satellite.

Are Earthquakes Really on the Increase?

more?

There's no news like bad news, so of course disaster news will be spread at a greater rate than any other type. Tornadoes in tornado alley? Not new. Earthquakes near fault zones? To be expected. Solar flares? Happens all the time. Mass die-offs? Yeah, animals other than humans get diseases, not very new.

Show me unexpected events of a horrendous nature. Where is the unending blizzard in Florida? The 11.5 earthquake in New York? The incoming planet of death? Nothing about any of the current disasters is so unexpected, so out there, that it requires any more attention than it previously did. I'm not seeing any apocalyptic level events. If you want to talk about people waking up, I suggest you stop dreaming about the end of the world first.

amidst, of course, the other ones going 'yeah, stuff's messed up, something big's coming.'
maybe.probably not. it's the end of the world every day for someone.

Seems to me that opinions vary even from the scientific community; I watched Weird or What the other day and some astronomer was convince that earth sized space ships were using our sun as at galatic portal !! go figure..
But coming back to this unprecendent events; i too decided to find some factual correlations in the apparent increased earth quake and volcanic activity statements - and i have to say my searching was inconclusive - some science sites actually did show increased activity in the last 2 years for both volcanoes and earth quakes. so im not convinced either way at the moment.
But it does seem to me that if we are to have an apolyptic event then that is what it will be - no amount of prophecy or debunking will be necessary!

Indeed, that's just probably just one weather record broken, but in 6,000 places.

With the record keeping being only 150 years, that means that each year there's a 1 in 1/150 chance of breaking a particular record, and since there's lots of different records, and lots of places, it's almost guaranteed that many records will be broken every years.

It's not debunking when it's just more opinions. If you are going to debunk something use facts. The only facts I have seen presented in this thread are that the commenters cannot put two and two together. Astonishing records have been broken all year long so far in nearly every category from earthquake and weather anomalies to dormant volcanoes becoming active... All in ONE half year. Say what you want but it is any but business as usual on planet earth. It is not just Earth that is warming either, our Sun is behaving badly, and most of the planets have heated up a couple degrees. I have no idea the reasons, and am not going to make any suppositions, but get your heads out of your asses and take a look around first before you decide nothing is going on.

It's not debunking when it's just more opinions. If you are going to debunk something use facts. The only facts I have seen presented in this thread are that the commenters cannot put two and two together. Astonishing records have been broken all year long so far in nearly every category from earthquake and weather anomalies to dormant volcanoes becoming active... All in ONE half year. Say what you want but it is any but business as usual on planet earth. It is not just Earth that is warming either, our Sun is behaving badly, and most of the planets have heated up a couple degrees. I have no idea the reasons, and am not going to make any suppositions, but get your heads out of your asses and take a look around first before you decide nothing is going on.

But the point is that SOME records are broken SOMEWHERE every year. With such as short span of time for the actual records, we can't really say the last 100 years is typical. To show that "something" is going on, you need to present some actual statistics as to how unlikely the list actually is. Simply cherry picking some records (Australia hit by earthquake) tells you nothing.

Back