Can I and How Should I Post Questions on Metabunk?

Pooua

My main interest in Metabunk is finding information about 9/11. Sometimes, I cannot find what I need, so I would like to ask if anyone could provide it for me. How would I go about doing that? My first attempt got blocked in moderation, and I eventually put that question on hold, because I couldn't figure out how to post it here without it getting deleted.

You need to be specific about what you are interested in, and provide references if possible.

I have been considering an "ask Metabunk" forum for less well specified questions, but we don't have it at the moment.

My main interest in Metabunk is finding information about 9/11
this doesnt address your specific question, but one thing that helps is on Google if you type "site:metabunk.org" ,space, followed by a search term or search phrase, i almost always get better results then the insite search.

I have been considering an "ask Metabunk" forum for less well specified questions, but we don't have it at the moment.
That would be incredible! There is so much info on here it can be hard to see a tree through the forest. I'd offer to help, but I can't really code. At all.

Just a thought, but for people having a hard time formulating what they're asking, could they post their attempt in the "sandbox" forum and ask a moderator to look at it? Not trying to make more work for moderators.

could they post their attempt in the "sandbox" forum and ask a moderator to look at it?
if they PM a moderator, why not just ask the question in the PM? :)

I am not suggesting you do this @Pooua , you can pm me and i will try to help..but its hard for me to find 911 threads too. still, at least im a bit familiar of what threads are there..just a matter of finding them!

I guess my thought was, you wouldn't want people just asking the Mods "what about this" or "where do I find that?". My understanding is the Sandbox is a place to practice posting techniques, including crafting a proper thread starter. That's how I've used it. At least this way an effort is being made and an attempt can be scrutinized if need be.

Maybe?

the problem is that the "just asking questions" brigade of rhetoric dishonesty could easily turn such a section into an evidence-free, low-quality sludge-fest ("how to we know WTC7 was not demolished?").
If we get such a section, I recommend it be not publicly visible, same as ChitChat.

I don't mean to imply that @Pooua intends this!

Couldn't we simply open a Q&A megathread in the 9/11 forum that'd operate similarly to the "current events" threads we have on other issues? (and maybe one on the UFO forum as well?)
The advantage is that malicious questions etc. don't get the benefit of a "headline", and it's less intimidating for new members to reply to a thread than to start a new one.

The only forum set up for questions we have now is "Skydentify".

The advantage is that malicious questions etc. don't get the benefit of a "headline", and it's less intimidating for new members to reply to a thread than to start a new one.
except they'd have to read through 400 pages to see if their question was already answered. especially if questions like:
"how to we know WTC7 was not demolished?"
were allowed.

The advantage is that malicious questions etc. don't get the benefit of a "headline"
or the moderators could actually moderate it and remove malicious questions, or questions that dont follow the guidelines he would post and nobody would read.

They'd have to moderate really so, like you say, each question doesnt just become a long rambling, gish gallopy
evidence-free, low-quality sludge-fest

except they'd have to read through 400 pages to see if their question was already answered.
the assumption is that people don't do that anyway

also, site search can be limited to searching the current thread

(I don't really understand how you go to "read everything" when you advocated using a search engine only a few posts back)

(I don't really understand how you go to "read everything" when you advocated using a search engine only a few posts back)
your brain is wired so differently from mine.

let's just agree that everything you ever say is right, and everything i ever say is wrong. (and no, that is not snark or sarcasm..im resigned to it.)

You need to be specific about what you are interested in, and provide references if possible.

Was wondering if it would be helpful to list the "Debunked" threads first under each bunk theme. So under the forum "9/11" which is now 17 pages long perhaps the 'debunked' threads should appear topmost. Just a thought.

I recall two previous times that I had a question to which I could not find an answer on the Web anywhere, despite my extensive searches. The first question I asked here had something to do with using MEK to test aluminum. I wanted to know how one could ID elemental aluminum. I can't remember the details of my question, now. My post was deleted because MB already has threads that discuss aluminum; I guess that means it doesn't need another. In any event, nobody that I've found went into the technical details of using MEK to clean and ID aluminum (specifically distinguishing it as elemental aluminum). The upshot was, I never could find anything even close to answering my question, either here or anywhere else on the Web, and I felt intimidated by the warning that posting too many wrong posts could get my account terminated, so I gave up.

I'm back here today because I recall reading somewhere a long time ago that each WTC Tower contained 1000 emergency gas cans throughout the structure, but I am unable to locate anything that mentions it, now. I was hoping that somebody here might know. I'm afraid that's as specific as I can get, and I don't have any links.

that each WTC Tower contained 1000 emergency gas cans throughout the structure,
i never heard 1000. i tried searching oil tank. but the google search is showing me "fuel tank". so maybe try fuel tank or oil in searches.
1663727730135.png
https://www.metabunk.org/files/NCSTAR_1-9_WTC7_unlocked.pdf (in the pdf use "find on page" fuel.)
ex: page 11 says
Areas between the concrete walls were backfilled with compacted gravel fill and then covered with a concrete slab on grade or framed slab to form closed cells and bring the structure up to the required elevation. In some cases, the area was left unfilled and used to house fuel tanks.
Content from External Source

another mention (also wtc7). click the little arrow next to posters name to go to that comment
NIST says:
As background information, the three systems contained two 12,000-gallon fuel tanks, and two 6,000-gallon tanks beneath the building's loading docks, and a single 6,000-gallon tank on the 1st floor. In addition, one system used a 275-gallon tank on the 5th floor, a 275-gallon tank on the 8th floor, and a 50-gallon tank on the 9th floor. Another system used a 275-gallon day tank on the 7th floor. Content from External Source So I was thinking of the 1st floor tank. The precise locations of the four tanks "below the loading docks" is not clear.

Are there no court filing that specify things like this?

ps the twins had parking garages below them. and you might search generator and mechanical floors for more info on twins. what i'm seeing in a brief search is all wtc7.

Last edited:
a few more threads...you do your own search as you need to get appropriate topic
So, using Google with the "site: metabunk.org" header in front of one's desired search term can sometimes work better than the search bar at the top of the forum page?

Even so, all @Pooua had to do was type "MEK" into the forum search bar. I got lots of hits, 3 pages worth, including this thread. Now having found these other threads, one would have to go and read through them to see if the original question was answered. If not, then it might be better to respond to one of the existing threads first, before starting a new one.

1663776961357.png

So, using Google with the "site: metabunk.org" header in front of one's desired search term can sometimes work better than the search bar at the top of the forum page?

Usually, yes. You can also use the Google search without leaving the site using the G button:2022-09-21_09-16-36.jpg

The default site search is more focussed on keywords. The Google search used a more AI, natural-language approach. Like if you search for MEK it knows that is Methyl Ethyl Ketone, and so will return additional results. (it adds a bunch of ads at the top, so you have to scroll down, nothing to do with me though, that's just Google)

The best first step is to type your full question and then use a Google search.

The only issue is that it only searches the public-facing forums, so does not include ChitChat, OD, Rambles, etc.

Back