ASTRO - New proposed office to replace UAPTF

"Anomaly Surveillance, Tracking and Resolution Office."

Just rolls off the tongue!! My first thought was "Hate it!"

but I must admit that "ASTRO" is a far better backronym
than most we get from Washington.

(Think USA PATRIOT ACT & USA FREEDOM Act:
"Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools to Restrict,
Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism Act of 2001" & "Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act
" respectively) :0

ASTRO looks downright elegant by comparison.

I've always liked Gillibrand's intelligence, but I'm not aware of anything
spacey in her background, that would link her to this...anyone know...?

Last edited:
Looks like ASTRO is going to be similar to AAWSAP in some ways, with its studies on UAP effects on people etc.

Plus they will have a Aerial and Transmedium advisary commitee which will be comprised from various groups including from below

So 5 people from Pro ET UFO groups. Hmmm
@Mick West You interested in being part of the advisory group, seems some balance is required

1637383361516.png

Any idea on how to apply for a position? Is US citizenship needed? I love those kind of works where whatever you do it won't matter much anyway (same thing I'm doing with Gimbal now). Try to design a machine which must actually physically work as intended to know the difference (*) (**).

[I'm joking of course, feel free to delete this post without notice :cool:]

(*) The best design for an engineer is the (not even necessarily working) design which you were payed for but then never goes into production. So less many troubles!

(**) Or any other job where what you do has actual real consequences for which they will take you to be responsible, of course.

Last edited:
Ah, another office! Not that it matters. We had many many "offices" and groups and whatever, but do we actually know more than 70 years ago? I see it as a big waste of money.

Looks like ASTRO is going to be similar to AAWSAP in some ways...
How did they miss making the latter Advanced Aerospace Weapons Systems Nominal Application Program. Coulda been AAWSNAP!
Always choose youe acronym first.

Jim Martin
Founding Member -- Wings Across Carolina Kiting and Okra Society

Time to look at the people involved and follow the money again.
I am always amused by all the acronyms these organisations come up with. It seems they have more people to figure out what to write, opposed to people actually doing something useful. The level of bureaucracy is insane I guess.

I am always amused by all the acronyms these organisations come up with. It seems they have more people to figure out what to write, opposed to people actually doing something useful. The level of bureaucracy is insane I guess.
I agree with you! Then, were I in the military, I think I'd do the same. There are real reasons why they behave that way.

I agree with you! Then, were I in the military, I think I'd do the same. There are real reasons why they behave that way.
Agreed. I am not familiar with all the protocols they have to follow, but I am sure it is sensible.

I am just a little amused by the idea like, 12 high ranking people are discussing the acronym and cannot come up with something better. :)

AIOMSG is very different to ASTRO (Gillibrand amendment). In fact the ASTRO folk are scrambling, concerned that the establishment of AIOMSG will stop ASTRO from passing.

Example of an ASTRO supporter concerned about AOIMSG
Article:
AOIMSG's mission: "To synchronize efforts across the [Pentagon] and the broader U.S. government to detect, identify and attribute objects of interests in Special Use Airspace (SUA), and to assess and mitigate any associated threats to safety of flight and national security."

This might sound like progress from a department that has spent much of the post-Second World War period saying UFOs are fictional. Unfortunately, it's anything but that.

In reality, this is a deliberate and calculated effort to undermine bipartisan legislation moving through Congress. That legislation centers on Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand's amendment to the 2022 Defense Act.

Now refiled with bipartisan support, Gillibrand's amendment would significantly strengthen the government's investigation of UFOs. Most notably, the legislation would do several things the AOIMSG ignores.

That's a fascinating read, and lends credence to the idea, hinted at in the cutesy acronym, that ASTRO comes complete with a pre-selected conclusion. For example, the claimed concentration on "transmedium ufos" seems to presuppose the existence of such things, even more so the bit about the assumption that the more advanced ones (?) are exotic tech of exotic origin! The hope that China and Russia don't learn how to build such things is also worrisome in that respect -- so we're presupposing none of this is stuff from the more likely terrestrial sources from the get-go, I guess.

The bill with ASTRO in it , has now passed the senate. It's only now waiting the formality of Biden to sign it before it becomes reality.
This is expected within days

Back