2013: The Year of Alex Jones

AluminumTheory

Senior Member.
So Alex Jones has seen an increase in his popularity since the recession and his interview with Piers Morgan 6 months ago seem to have made him a mainstream figure. Not only that but it seems like every major event now has a conspiracy theory to explain it, and the conspiracy theories are just getting weirder like the Crisis Actors theories which can conveniently be inserted into any story by finding someone who looks like someone else.

So does anybody think that this is just the Conspiracy Theorist's hey day and that this burst of popularity will soon reach a climax?

So Alex Jones has seen an increase in his popularity since the recession and his interview with Piers Morgan 6 months ago seem to have made him a mainstream figure. Not only that but it seems like every major event now has a conspiracy theory to explain it, and the conspiracy theories are just getting weirder like the Crisis Actors theories which can conveniently be inserted into any story by finding someone who looks like someone else.

So does anybody think that this is just the Conspiracy Theorist's hey day and that this burst of popularity will soon reach a climax?

I feel like it's going to keep going strong through the summer, then will tail off by next year as repetition sets in.

It depends on if there are major events to sustain it. The NSA an IRS things help, but then they are not really conspiracy theories, and reality is kind of boring.

I feel like it's going to keep going strong through the summer, then will tail off by next year as repetition sets in.

It depends on if there are major events to sustain it. The NSA an IRS things help, but then they are not really conspiracy theories, and reality is kind of boring.
Well Mick you finally answered why conspiracies thrive . For the Average Joe reality is kind of boring :) then we have reality Tv shows that are anything but real ? :)

I have never understood the attraction of 'reality shows'. I don't watch them, I did watdh one, the one looking for 'America's Greatest Dog'. I was disappointed in the winner. They chose the young boxer with over the lady with the Maltese. Couldn't have one of those fou fou dogs win.

What I don't understand is why folks endure many of them for a few bucks and for some fame.

Well Mick you finally answered why conspiracies thrive . For the Average Joe reality is kind of boring :) then we have reality Tv shows that are anything but real ? :)

Reality being boring IS a problem. We've got revolving door money lobby legislature resulting in stuff like the banking crisis, bridges collapsing and 2 million in jail. But that's just boring politics. Fake issues like chemtrails and 9/11 being controlled demolition are so compelling and entertaining they stop people from addressing real issues.

What is the real possibility that Alex Jones radicalizes someone into a home grown terrorist? Tamerlan Tsarnaev is said to have followed Alex Jones. I just wonder if it might come out that the methods the brothers used for self radicalization was a mix of Islamic extremism and conspiracies. Though it at least sounds like right now Islam played the biggest part.
http://www.salon.com/2013/04/23/tamerlan_tsarnaev_was_an_alex_jones_fan/
Tamerlan “took an interest in Infowars,” according to Elmirza Khozhugov, the ex-husband of Tamerlan’s sister.
Content from External Source

Conspiracy fact? (Aka... history?)

I'm not sure why vague conspiracy theories without names, dates and times are more entertaining. (To Alex Jones credit, he does seem to lay it out there that it's the Bilderbergers.) With respect to entertainment it must be the sensation of and roller coaster ride of fear. But after people get off the ride, then what?

What is the real possibility that Alex Jones radicalizes someone into a home grown terrorist? Tamerlan Tsarnaev is said to have followed Alex Jones.

You've got to be kidding.

If anything Tamerlan was following in Uncle Ruslan's* foot steps... except that he was apparently interested in becoming a privateer and mercenary on the front lines** instead of just profiting from it all like his uncle. (He has a big house while the boys were bums... huh?)

Usama could have been Tamerlan's hero... if a faction at the FBI didn't apparently need someone to pin the Boston "drill" on. Executions and FBI agents falling out of helicopters incoming, etc... guess we'll have to see if the younger brother lives. The fact that he's still alive after his (unarmed) hour long gun battle with local police and so forth is a good sign that he didn't have as many meetings with the FBI as his older brother had.

*Since when did Uncle Ruslan begin calling Islamic terrists/privateers and mercenaries bums and losers and so forth, anyway?

**"If you need it explained simpler than this ask a friendly amoeba to help you out." (Comment on Ry Dawson's video) Indeed.

You've got to be kidding.
Not in the least. I do think that conspiracies could motivate someone to terrorism. How likely is that, I don't know. I'm not implying either brother was motivated by AJ, only that at least one of them followed AJ. There is far more evidence to link Islamic extremism as motive right now than anything else. That is not what this thread is about though. You can make another thread if you like on that.

What I'm getting at is more the lines of, could someone like AJ or someone else promoting these theories be enough to radicalize someone to commit acts of terror? Could watching YT videos, reading CT websites or DVDs be enough to possibly motivate someone to do something bad. I say it could be possible.

Maybe not directly, but it could 'set them up' for being radicalized by other sites. You read about 'chemtrails' on AJ, look for more info and stumble on the sites that want to bring down planes.

Maybe not directly, but it could 'set them up' for being radicalized by other sites. You read about 'chemtrails' on AJ, look for more info and stumble on the sites that want to bring down planes.
Yeah I'm not suggesting AJ is going to tell someone to attack something. Only that what he says might cause someone to think about doing something bad.

I do think that conspiracies could motivate someone to terrorism.

"Could." "Possible."

Evidence, nil.

That's because the people that actually have generally created terrorism and terrorist or privateer cells throughout history usually work for oligarchs and intelligence services. It's not something that the average person listening to a conspiracy theorist for the roller coaster ride of a fear loop of entertainment just up and does in reality.* Could it happen? Possibly. But they'd rather quickly be either incorporated into existing cells or used as patsies and so forth, if history is any measure.

*Americans seem to be confused on this point. Too many reality shows, I suspect... terrists probably need their own reality show, at this point. The could combine episodes with Stars Earn Stripes, etc.

What I'm getting at is more the lines of, could someone like AJ or someone else promoting these theories be enough to radicalize someone to commit acts of terror?

Probably not, after all... that's what CIA handlers working with the Chechens to use terrorism against the Russians on the Grand Chessboard and so forth are for. You're right though, they did trickle a little information on Alex Jones between trying to find "female DNA" on the bombs and so forth. He actually stood up to it pretty well. Never underestimate the Southern Masonic lodges and the factions that he and the Pauls seem to be incorporated in, I'd imagine.

Could Alex Jones radicalize someone, in theory... seriously? Since when has the American government had trouble or great moral quandaries about having their operatives radicalizing terrorists? (They can try to lie and blame Youtube all they want. Not happening.)

How about Timothy McVeigh? Wasn't he motivated by somewhat by conspiracy theories similar to what Alex is promoting?

You read about 'chemtrails' on AJ, look for more info and stumble on the sites that want to bring down planes.

Given history, the only people likely to bring down American planes would be those that America has armed in Syria with anti-aircraft systems and so forth. Although, it will be a booming business and stimulate the economy if any of those mercenaries and privateers do get out of hand and come over here and shoot down a plane. After all, then the military industrial complex will have to kick into high gear to keep everyone safe.

"Knowledge is the antidote for fear."

No it isn't.

But given your logic, if you had more knowledge about AJ then you wouldn't fear him like you do. Side note, it seems pretty silly to try to be generating fear about AJ while turning a blind eye to the work of the military industrial complex. I mean, the chances are very small that either is a danger to you. But if you had to pick one, go with the people that actually have a history of arming and radicalizing terrorists. Wherever possible, go with the actual evidence and not your imagination or cultural bigotries.

How about Timothy McVeigh? Wasn't he motivated by somewhat by conspiracy theories similar to what Alex is promoting?
I remembered this after posting, the Turner diaries were a big influence on his thinking if I remember right.

It's more likely that he was "radicalized" by his apparent work with the CIA* and their usual networks of mercenaries, drug dealers and assassins.

Terrism is not something that the average person just up and does after entertaining themselves with the fear loop typical to conspiracy theorists unless they have some experience with the intelligence services tasked by oligarchs with managing and producing terrorism historically.

In any event, people are going to run into problems trying to frame the auxiliaries of the military industrial complex and "profiling" the very people working within it for terrism these days. No use in trying to target or profile the very people that you'd need to incorporate into the system and so forth. (Better to get them to think that they're fighting Muslim terrorists, given that Muslim peasants are usually willing to give them an excuse.)

...the Turner diaries were a big influence on his thinking if I remember right.

And his mom didn't breast feed him at the teat long enough for him to be able to empathize with other suckers, I'd imagine.

It's one thing to have thoughts and feelings, it's another to have the technical proficiency, wealth and means to carry them out. And usually the only way that people get that is from being incorporated in the intelligence services and mercenary networks of the oligarchs, whether you're a pirate from the 1700s or a modern mercenary.

One of these days there might actually be another lone wolf terrorist like the Beltway snipers, a real organic* terrorist. That's the sort that the FBI won't catch the next day and have the DNA results back seemingly before it's even possible to have them back and so forth. Not to mention that there probably won't be agents falling out of helicopters and so forth either.

*Most of the others that are allowed some success seem to have been genetically modified, same as it's ever been.

Given history, the only people likely to bring down American planes would be those that America has armed in Syria with anti-aircraft systems and so forth. Although, it will be a booming business and stimulate the economy if any of those mercenaries and privateers do get out of hand and come over here and shoot down a plane. After all, then the military industrial complex will have to kick into high gear to keep everyone safe.

Lots of people who believe in chemtrails have suggested shooting down a plane. Some have gone as far as shining green lasers at planes.

Maybe they won't bring it down, but I would not be entirely surprised if a US chemtrailer's bullet ends up hitting a plane at some point in the future.

And his mom didn't breast feed him at the teat long enough for him to be able to empathize with other suckers, I'd imagine.

It's one thing to have thoughts and feelings, it's another to have the technical proficiency, wealth and means to carry them out. And usually the only way that people get that is from being incorporated in the intelligence services and mercenary networks of the oligarchs, whether you're a pirate from the 1700s or a modern mercenary.

One of these days there might actually be another lone wolf terrorist like the Beltway snipers, a real organic* terrorist. That's the sort that the FBI won't catch the next day and have the DNA results back seemingly before it's even possible to have them back and so forth. Not to mention that there probably won't be agents falling out of helicopters and so forth either.

*Most of the others that are allowed some success seem to have been genetically modified, same as it's ever been.

Fascinating world view you have there. But really you need very little in the way of "technical proficiency, wealth and means" to carry out the majority of terrorsit attacks.

"The truck rental — $250. The fertilizer was about... it was either $250 or $500. The Nitromethane was the big cost. It was like $1,500. Actually, lemme see, 900, 2,700,... we're talking $3,500 there... Lets round it up. I just gave you the major expenses, so go to like five grand... what's five grand?"
—Timothy McVeigh, on the cost of the preparations[33]
There are millions of intelligent people who could do such a thing with sufficient motivation. Technical proficiency is easy to acquire with time and the internet.

Consider yourself. I'm assuming you've not been trained by the CIA. But suppose you decided to make a pressure cooker bomb and blow up a crowd somewhere. How hard is that? What would it cost?

Lots of people who believe in chemtrails have suggested shooting down a plane. Some have gone as far as shining green lasers at planes.

Maybe they won't bring it down, but I would not be entirely surprised if a US chemtrailer's bullet ends up hitting a plane at some point in the future.

I'll grant you your "dot"/detail comment about the wealth and means. Although the overall pattern of history would seem to indicate that people have to be trained as a whole, with respect to the mentality, means and so forth. And there is very little, to no evidence that merely listening to talk radio is a sufficient or a primary cause of terrorism. It would be more likely that the old networks of drug dealers, mercenaries and so forth that Clinton was incorporated into in Mena Arkansas had something to do with it. (Bill blamed talk radio for terrism on his watch. Hillary blamed Youtube for terrism on her watch... they both seem anxious to blame any form of decentralized media, don't they?)

Meanwhile, while you're trying to imagine Alex Jones as the cause of terrorism and a threat to American airplanes:
France, US arming Syrian rebels with anti-aircraft missiles – report
[h=1]Arms and the Manpads: Syrian rebels get anti-aircraft missiles[/h][h=1]Syrian Rebels Training On Anti-Aircraft Weapons In Jordan[/h]
In other news:
[h=1]Video: Syrian rebel cuts out soldier's heart, eats it[/h]
Just the sort of people that you'd want having anti-aircraft missiles, huh? But Alex Jones is probably more dangerous than the government because he has a big ego or he's annoying sometimes or you don't prefer his form of entertainment? He's going to wind up getting a plane shot down? Interesting worldview you have there.

It looks like your fear loop may need some work, as far as fearing things that actually might happen in reality and not fantastical inventions of your imagination. Although... the chances of anyone dying in a terrist attack or having their plane shot down by a "base"/Al Qaeda terrist from Syria are still vanishingly small, no matter what the American government does.

And the chances of a plane being shot down by a crazy chemtrail type without any training like McVeigh or help from the government like the Syria rebels and terrists are getting? Let's just say that it's probably more likely that the sun will implode tomorrow... and then we'll all have nothing to worry about or fear at all. Imagine that.

McVeigh believed in the Turner Chronicles and I believe the Protocols of Zion.

People believe a lot of things without becoming terrists but there is one pattern that there is historical evidence for, those incorporated in some way into the intelligence services of oligarchs are more likely to become terrists. Whether that's Bin Laden on the one side fighting the Russians and then becoming a terrorist against Americans, the Boston boys incorporation into terrism in Chechnya and then becoming terrorists in America or McVeigh being incorporated into the terrist networks of the CIA's drug dealers and then becoming a terrorist against Americans.

Cairenn, if you honestly care about people and want to stop terrorism then you may have to put cultural differences aside to focus on the source of the problem. It's a vanishingly small problem in day to day life. You're more likely to fall out of bed tomorrow and die than to die in a terrist or a terrorist attack. But given your premise of stopping the terrorists by profiling, giving up your civil rights or creating a huge military industrial complex and so forth... well, apparently we have to debate the real roots of terrorism. (And generally the roots of terrorism are not to be found in talk radio, Youtube, the internet... or people that you disagree with politically.)

I have problems with the 'connect the dots' idea. I keep thinking about how the ancients saw 'patterns' in the sky that they decided where figures from their mythology. It is meaningless and foolhardy.

Personal experience here. I have been active in debunking a lot of misinformation about the BP oil spill. Folks 'connecting the dots' have accused me of a variety of positions in BP. When the FACT is that I have never worked for them or any oil company or any company associated with the spill and that no one I personally know is connected to BP either.

What they saw.
1) I am on the BP FB page a lot--- they think-she is being paid to be there---the Truth--I play a computer game and check between doing things

2) I support BP---they think that means I work for them--the truth---I have been impressed by their response, in comparison to that of Pemex in the Ixtoc blow out

3)I know geology---they are sure that I am a geologist with BP ---the truth, I have a geology background

4)I point out flaws in studies---they see a BP researcher---the truth, in addition to geology, I took almost every science available and I have been doing various science experiments since I before I started school-my dad was a pharmacist that encouraged and guided me

5) I show some knowledge of law---they see a BP lawyer---the truth---I have been interested in law for many years and since I have run my own small business, I have taken several classes in business law

6)all of the above---I must have written a guide book for BP's social media company---the truth, I have NO connection to any such company.

So you see that 'connecting the dots' leads to nonsense and falsehoods.

Driving people to violence is a pretty small part of the problem with conspiracy theories in the grand scheme of things. The actual numbers involved are small, and lost in the mind-numbingly tragic noise of thousands of murders, accidents, and sudden illnesses that rip families apart every year.

But that does not mean it's not worth trying to stop. In particular it's much more significant if you yourself might be a target - the chemtrail theory has spawned threats against pilots, scientists, meteorologists, and even debunkers like myself. Even if those threats come to nothing, the fear and disruption they generate is still not a good thing.

hiper, you've obviously not read this thread:

https://www.metabunk.org/threads/25...l-quot-planes-pilots-scientists-and-debunkers

600+ posts of stuff like, threats to planes:

killpilots2.jpg
patriot missile.jpg
hang pilots.jpg
shootemdown.jpg

Or scientists:

So I feel that even if Alex's ranting is not going to lead to another Oklahoma bombing (and I'm not really convinced of that), it's still far from harmless.

Last edited:
I will tell you getting a death threat is not fun. Less when it happens more than once and downright scary when it is a phone call that is not some kids playing a prank. Been there, don't want a tshirt.

I will tell you getting a death threat is not fun. Less when it happens more than once and downright scary when it is a phone call that is not some kids playing a prank. Been there, don't want a tshirt.

I know that David Keith has received such phone calls.

For a while, I was doing screen-captures of the posts by chemtrails believers which advocated violence in YouTube comments, but it happens so regularly that I got tired of it. I'm sure that it's a minority of believers who say such things and even fewer that mean them, but it only takes one to cause a tragedy.

You use the word fear an awful lot, and keep saying "fear loop". What do you mean by "fear loop"?

Shrug. When the topic is conspiracy theories or the war on "terror"/fear that's usually the topic...

Side note, people never seem to tire of blaming those who reflect on society and culture for trying to reflect on it.
I can imagine that an ugly woman who looks in the mirror is convinced that it is her mirror image, and not she, that is ugly. Thus society sees the mirror image of its meanness and is stupid enough to believe that I am the mean fellow.
--Karl Kraus
(Half-truths and One and a Half Truths, translated by Harry Zohn :30)
With respect to fear loops, I'm just imagining what it must be like to be fearful and begin to use your intellect in order to justify and build up your fears without ever using it to dissipate them. The fear loop can get pretty loopy sometimes.... whether you're thinking that talk radio is going to create some terrists or you think that you're in more danger from the CIA's network of international mercenaries and terrorists than your drunk driving neighbor. If you're going to fear something, might as well fear something that has a higher probability of actually effecting your life than being struck by lightning three times and so forth. (E.g., the work of the banksters... as their "federal reserve notes" will effect everyone so it's likely that you'll be effected by it, etc.)

I have problems with the 'connect the dots' idea. I keep thinking about how the ancients saw 'patterns' in the sky that they decided where figures from their mythology. It is meaningless and foolhardy.

That's just the way your mind is weaving together a mythology of progress out of the dots of history that you think you see. Ironically, it's likely that many mythologies are actually artistic renderings of actual or factual events/dots. E.g. "The gods came from the sea traveling on big birds with white wings... and they had sticks of thunder!" = "Some Europeans came over here about the time this artist created this mythology, and they had guns."

In other words, it's possible that even the way that you just connected the dots to create a story and mythology of progress about how we shouldn't connect any dots... is itself, wrong.

So you see that 'connecting the dots' leads to nonsense and falsehoods.

The only way I could see that is if I allowed the way that you tried to connect the dots based on your personal experience with some "dot connectors" to govern my imagination. And I don't. Imagine that!

I'd imagine that there is no magic in either connecting the dots or an assurance of progress in always failing to connect them. It's more likely that we need both in balance, i.e. a theory with good explanatory power based on facts/dots. It's not wrong to have a theory, even a conspiracy theory. But it's true that people do run wild with it. My theory about that, the fear loop makes people loopy. A satire: "Antidote to fear... you're a reptilian from the draco system, aren't you!!!!"

Meanwhile, you're just caring Cairenn... I'd imagine.

Shrug. When the topic is conspiracy theories or the war on "terror"/fear that's usually the topic...

Side note, people never seem to tire of blaming those who reflect on society and culture for trying to reflect on it.
With respect to fear loops, I'm just imagining what it must be like to be fearful and begin to use your intellect in order to justify and build up your fears without ever using it to dissipate them. The fear loop can get pretty loopy sometimes.... whether you're thinking that talk radio is going to create some terrists or you think that you're in more danger from the CIA's network of international mercenaries and terrorists than your drunk driving neighbor. If you're going to fear something, might as well fear something that has a higher probability of actually effecting your life than being struck by lightning three times and so forth. (E.g., the work of the banksters... as their "federal reserve notes" will effect everyone so it's likely that you'll be effected by it, etc.)

Jay was inviting you to explain specifically what you mean by "fear loop". Can you do this plainly without all the curlicued digression?

I would venture that you're alluding to some kind of self-reinforcing or self-perpetuating tendency in individual or mass psychology in which fear distorts perceptions. Beyond this, it is by no means clear what exactly you're talking about.

Your posts are interesting, mynym, because you routinely and repeatedly make use of a number of these specialized terms and phrases (e.g. "fear loops", "pyramid structure", "the Base" intentionally misspelling "terrorist" as "terrist"). And you have other fixations w/r/t intelligence services, geopolitics, magical symbolism, complaints about people who are dumber than you and watch too much television, all wrapped-up in a larger anti-Zionist/anti-Masonic/anti-banker/anti-NWO worldview. I know enough to know what you're alluding to, but you seem to use these as a kind of obfuscatory dodge and you never actually bother to explain what these mean in relation to whatever larger themes are being discussed in a given thread. Can you blame me if this seems like rhetorical misdirection? It can begin to look Gish-gallopy.

This is all well and good. I find it entertaining, at least. But it wouldn't hurt your case if you toned it down and tried to speak a little more directly to what's being talked about without all the digression and without all of your private jargon.

Also:

Did you just make the claim that most terrorists are genetically engineered?

So I feel that even if Alex's ranting is not going to lead to another Oklahoma bombing (and I'm not really convinced of that), it's still far from harmless.

I agree.

But as far worrying about what's likely with respect to terrism, it's more likely that arming the terrorists in Syria with anti-aircraft systems and so forth may result in the downing of a plane somewhere in the West. Which would consequently lead to the American War Machine Inc. getting contracts for anti-anti-aircraft systems and so forth... this is the type of pattern that there's historical evidence for with respect to the whole picture of the mentality, means and motives of terrorists and not: talk radio = terrism.

Talk about a "connecting the dots" mentality... if the roller coaster rides of fear typical to some talk radio types* and so forth was overwhelmingly "connected" to people sitting in their mom's basement listening to it and becoming terrorists then we might actually be at risk from terrorism. But we're not... mainly because it's generally the CIA that creates terrorists with the interests of multinational corporations and oligarchs in mind and not the safety of the American people, just like the intelligence services created privateers and terrorists for the old oligarchs and if a few of the peasants die or get terrorized, well.

*That's the dot/fact. They're creating fear of the government. And from that, we get a verifiable/falsifiable and expansive theory of terrorism with vast "connecting the dots" explanatory power? I doubt it.

Can you blame me if this seems like rhetorical misdirection?

Nope. (Gallop? What a crazy metaphor that was. Might as well be word salad...)

This is all well and good. I find it entertaining, at least

Well, there you go. I find it entertaining too. If Mick can have a hobby before going the way of the Dodo... then why can't I have my entertainment?

But it wouldn't hurt your case

And there's the problem, what case?

...and without all of your private jargon.

That's what writing about a "Gish gallop" would appear like to most people unacquainted with a tribe/community of "skeptics" who want to look at some "dots" and then turn around to imagine that they have totally factual knowledge of a huge Big Picture**.... the biggest, Big Picture there is.

Perhaps the closer to a rigorously specified or specialized understanding of a dot/atom/fact you get, the less likely you are to be able to communicate any type of "Big Picture." So.. giddy up.

In any event, back on the topic... my theory of "terrism" and "highly organized plots" (thanks George W.*) has more explanatory power than the "skeptics" vague and generally fact free hypotheses in which talk radio = terrorism. (Much to the chagrin of Bill and Hillary... who never saw a type of decentralized media that they couldn't try to blame for the terrism and mercenaries typically produced by oligarchs.)

*What a gregarious dummy... huh? Maybe you have to follow your gut in some cases, when it comes to the oligarchs.

**Imaginary knowledge about the whole universe.. and why not a few more too? How skeptical

That's what writing about a "Gish gallop" would appear like to most people unacquainted with a tribe/community of "skeptics" who want to look at some "dots" and then turn around to imagine that they have totally factual knowledge of a huge Big Picture**.... the biggest, Big Picture there is.

That's why Drew uses it on a forum in which people understand it's meaning. He's suggesting you try to simplify the things that are out of context here for us mere mortals.

“Austin at that time became a hotbed of conspiracy theorists and Alex became like the star quarterback,” said Kevin Booth, 51, who helped him and was the best man in his wedding.
The same Kevin Booth who was a lifelong friend from childhood of uber-conspiracist comedian Bill Hicks, and who is a key player in the conspiracy theory that Alex Jones and Bill Hicks are the same person -

http://ddt.lefora.com/2013/06/06/alex-jones-bill-hicks/

Bill Hicks inspired a lot of people of my generation. I've been starting to wonder lately if he didn't plant seeds for the likes of Jones to water too.

Back