White Dot UFO [Balloon]

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
This is just an example of what things look like at long distances. Might be useful reference.

I could only just see this with the naked eye, and all it looked like to me was a white dot, slowly moving away:

However I had my big lens on, so I zoomed in:

and then:
Quite clearly it's a silver mylar balloon with a ribbon hanging down.

There was a NASA balloon launched from NM a few years back and the winds carried it over here near the CO River by around sunset. So naturally those of us East of there were treated to a spectacular glowing orb high in the sky. Many FB and other comments. My camera just wasn't suitable for pic's though. I'll see if I can find any sources.

Further, if you shoot it with Canon's new Powershot SX60 with 65x zoom,
you can actually see Falcon Heene hanging onto the bottom of the balloon!

Weather balloons are designed to rise at 300 m/minute. Using that as a guide I wrote a small program to parse the UW sounding data into a .csv file for importing into the Excel to KML website to show the path of weather balloons. Here's a KML file showing the weather balloon flight paths surrounding Crestone, CO (the town in the video above) for the 1800 MDT (0000 UTC) launches. The names are the number of elapsed minutes since launch. These launches were too late according to the time in the video and anyway they're almost certainly Project Loon balloons.

Clicking the link will open it up in Google Map. Then click the down arrow in the upper left to open it in Google Earth.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5jR42CSPG00WV9DNDdrTU5yakE

Very interesting

Yeah. They almost all have the same pattern: an initial steep vertical rise, a large horizontal movement as they get higher and meet the higher winds, then the winds die down and they have a steeper vertical climb.

Here in Los Angeles there is a "Meetup" group called, "LA UFO Channel", where a group of people will meet every 2 months or so, and will bring cameras and telescopes to view and capture "UFO's".....to celebrate and enjoy ufo or orb sightings in the Los Angeles skies.
These meetings will often start with a short meditation, led by a gentleman, Robert Bingham, who will mentally "summon" UFO's or orbs to appear.

The bunk....they're just observing balloons.
Why ?
They (about 15-40 people) will always meet on a Sunday or holiday (check their schedule), and near a local park or overlooking several public parks, and then claim to see UFO's by sight, and in their cameras.
Why only on Sundays or holidays ?....(the trick) because this happens to be the most popular day(s) to see helium balloon releases, (especially over public parks) when birthdays, anniversaries, and family celebratory events happen, and helium balloons escape or are voluntarily released. Los Angeles is heavily populated by Hispanics, and they utilize balloons a lot, at parties on Sundays or holidays.

They take it seriously, but I can't help but laugh a little.

Some of their stranger "UFO's" items are easily found on party-supply sites, eBay, or balloon suppliers.

This hardest one I was able to find as a balloon, ....I suspect it was of a Mickey Mouse balloon...but I just went to google images "balloons" "mylar" "character"....there it was.
(I lost the link. I'll post it when I find it.)

Frankly, it looks like fun to be a 'balloon spotter'....but not so much fun believing their claims as to "why" they are there or what they are :rolleyes: .

Last edited:
It did cross my mind to be naughty.
Find where and when they have an event.
Purposefully release fake "orb balloons" within their sight.....or even a giant penis shaped balloon.
But I'll just keep that as a fantasy.
I won't do it. Promise.

....but that would be funny.

Last edited:
It did cross my mind to be naughty.
Find where and when they have an event.
Purposefully release fake "orb balloons" within their sight.....or even a giant penis shaped balloon.
But I'll just keep that as a fantasy.
I won't do it. Promise.

....but that would be funny.
Glad it wasn't just me thinking that way :D

Mind you, you could have real fun, groups of balloons, linked by light weight clear plastic rods 'flying in formation', some shaped letter and number balloons fastened together to make a 'strangely shaped mothership' type shape... the possibilities are endless.

NOT that I would do such a thing, but it IS tempting.

Last edited:
I once just showed up at this place and hung out for a few days. They claimed to see alien craft on a regular basis and to be able to ask the craft to "light it up". I think they were seeing Iridium satellite flares. Who knows? It was certainly entertaining. They invite people to stay there, for a FEE, and "make contact". After my visit they changed their web page to say that visiting was by invitation only.

http://www.eceti.org/

Request a Private Invitation to Visit
All visitation to the Ranch is by private reservation and private invitation only. Please do not show up uninvited or with out a reservation.
Content from External Source
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellite_flare

I posted a comment on the youtube video saying I was confused as to why they were looking at balloons and getting so excited. Here was the response:
Keep a close eye on the gold one that was split open and continues across the sky. Is that not interesting to you? Is that normal? Prove that this is a normal occurrence. Split open a balloon while in flight and see what it does. When it falls to the ground like a rock, it will confuse you. What it will do will be different from what you see in this video. Here is another one you should try to duplicate: www.youtube.com/watch?v=33StL76nMsw

Duplicate this one and I will post it on my site. Just try it. I have a feeling you won't be confused any more. Be a skeptic and keep an open mind, not a cynic.
Content from External Source
I guess they really do believe something is going on. It's kind of sweet, no?

Last edited:
Back