What books are you reading ? (conspiracy related, science, etc...)

Leifer

Senior Member.
What books/authors have influenced you, or do you recommend ?
.......related to "debunking" or of the understanding of science, and related human tendencies - to believe ??

hemi

Senior Member.
Nice list Stupid. I'll dust off my Audible subscription and have a listen to some of those.

I already listen to the You are Not So Smart podcast that comes out intermittently, and, for other fellow listeners, you might like to try...

* Guardian Science Weekly
* Science Talk (Sci. American)
* BBC Science in Action
* Stuff to Blow Your Mind
* The Infinite Monkey Cage

Nearly all of them, at some point, touch on topics that are directly relevant to the sorts of things that get discussed around here. And even when they don't, they're still interesting. ;-)

Alhazred The Sane

Senior Member.
Just finished "The Quantum Universe" by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw, before that it was "Ignorance: How It Drives Science" by Stuart Firestein, and "Five Billion Years of Solitude" by Lee Billings.

Can't say I read too much on conspiracy theories.

Leifer

Senior Member.
5 credits on my Audible acct.
I've taken 4....not read (listened) yet....

"The Moral Animal: Why We Are the Way We Are: The New Science of Evolutionary Psychology" Robert Wright
"Them: Adventures with Extremists" Jon Ronson
"Proust Was a Neuroscientist" Jonah Lehrer
"What Einstein Told His Cook: Kitchen Science Explained
" Robert L. Wolke

...the last one is because I like to cook.

Last edited:

Strawman

Senior Member.
Here's my two recommendations on CT:
Mark Fenster "Conspiracy Theories"
Jack Z. Bratich: "Conspiracy Panics. Political Rationality and Popular Culture", while I would not agree with everything in there, I think debunkers should read this book to reflect on the meaning of debunking practice.

Leifer

Senior Member.
"Them: Adventures with Extremists" Jon Ronson...
....seems quite good, starts off with the author following David Icke on tour. Then jew and homosexual hating Muslim extremists hell-bent on disrupting British gov't, then Randy Weaver of "Ruby Ridge", Alex Jones.....then....(more).
(There's an interesting part on a KKK member personality test.)

It is an interesting chronicle of a real "embedded" witness journalist.

I'm trying to decipher what is the dirty truth in this book, vs. what is poetic embellishments of factual circumstance.

EDIT: Spoiler alert........conspiracies continue despite inner reporting.

Last edited:

Alhazred The Sane

Senior Member.
"Them: Adventures with Extremists" Jon Ronson...
....seems quite good, starts off with the author following David Icke on tour.
Jaysis, what a way to earn a living. Bad enough to have to continually listen to the man, but to be surrounded by people who take him seriously ...

I couldn't do it.

Strawman

Senior Member.
Also conspiracy related: Cass Sunstein's new book (due next march) deals with conspiracy theories. As it is a collection of essays, it will probably feature the infamous cognitive infiltration article.

Definitely getting that.

Alhazred The Sane

Senior Member.
Also conspiracy related: Cass Sunstein's new book (due next march) deals with conspiracy theories. As it is a collection of essays, it will probably feature the infamous cognitive infiltration article.

Definitely getting that.
If you're looking for that essay in particular, you can download it here.

Leifer

Senior Member.
Two new books will enter my brain soon....
"Big Data: A Revolution That Will Transform How We Live, Work, and Think" by Viktor Mayer-Schöberger , Kenneth Cukier
and a not-yet released book by Richard Powers, titled, "Orfeo" (fiction)
Plus one more.....http://www.audible.com/pd/Bios-Memo...Audiobook/B00H58TEF2?ref_=a_mycart_fi_c2_2_23
Undiluted Hocus-Pocus: The Autobiography of Martin Gardner

Last edited:

Geezer

Them: Adventures with Extremists. Pretty good, humanizes the extremists while showing how encompassing their beliefs are.
Abominable Science. A pretty complete look at several popular cryptids, going back to their first "appearance". Very entertaining and some great one star reviews, from true believers, on Amazon.

Bill

Senior Member.
"Countess Dracula" by Tony Thorne - An attempt to rewrite history by arguing Elizabeth Bathory was the victim of a conspiracy.
"Abominable Science" - History of selected cryptids.

Critical Thinker

Senior Member.
Okay... so I am not posting about a book I am reading, but since there was no thread about what movies you are watching....

12 Angry Men is a great film classic and provides a look at how evidence ought to be examined and the various biases that may prevent someone from objectively weighing facts and their relevance.

Bruno D.

Senior Member.
Actually there are lots of Sherlock Holmes' books and stories with fantastic quotes, like:

'It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.'

'I never guess. It is a shocking habit,—destructive to the logical faculty.'

'Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.'

'The emotional qualities are atagonistic to clear reasoning.'

"The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes."

'You see, but you do not observe. The distinction is clear.'

NoParty

Senior Member.
I remember being impressed with The Assault on Reason by Al Gore
lol classic vapid "debunker" response

Phase 1: declare straw man!
Phase 2: ?
Phase 3: profit.
Anyone who led you to think I'm getting cash for these comments is "false profit."

You're saying that injecting "conspiracists wouldn't talk among themselves"
as if that were Mr. West's position is somehow not a straw man? Please explain.

As to the length, most posts don't require an ISBN :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember being impressed with The Assault on Reason by Al Gore

Anyone who led you to think I'm getting cash for these comments is "false profit."

You're saying that injecting "conspiracists wouldn't talk among themselves"
as if that were Mr. West's position is somehow not a straw man? Please explain.

As to the length, most posts don't require an ISBN :p
A South Park joke clearly wasted you...

Anyway I was talking about the books' content. And having read a similar book by a Canadian author, I'm pretty confident the argument isn't strawman. These books open themselves up to that criticism.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jason

I love Carl Sagan, a great book about psuedoscience is "The Demon Haunted World-Science as a Candle in the Dark". Beautifully written, but then again I love all of his books....

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
I love Carl Sagan, a great book about psuedoscience is "The Demon Haunted World-Science as a Candle in the Dark". Beautifully written, but then again I love all of his books....
The intro always struck me as rather timeless.

http://pharmacy.auburn.edu/barkebn/2004/Spring/PYPC7820/7820/7820-The Demon-Haunted World.htm

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
great read.....recommended for Metabunk readers.
I just read it ("Them - Adventures with Extremists"). Fascinating stuff - particularly his adventures with Alex Jones in the Bohemian Grove, and his discussions with the Bilderbergers.

What books/authors have influenced you, or do you recommend ?
.......related to "debunking" or of the understanding of science, and related human tendencies - to believe ??
Authors that have influenced me in relation to debunking, science, conspiracy etc...

Louis Theroux - his adventures in weird American subcultures and trying to get themselves to exlpain/justify their ideas.
Richard Dawkins - debunking God, pseudo science, alternative medicines, quacks
Christopher Hitchens - debunking God, and on not being afraid to challenge the left
Naomi Klein - debunking neo-liberalism
Michael Parenti - challenging accepted historical narratives
Noam Chomsky - challenging mainstream liberal media and politics

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
What do you mean by rather "timeless"?
Meaning it's the same now, it does not seem dated.

It was published nearly 20 years ago, in 1995, and he was talking about something that had happened years earlier. But the hopeful credulity of "Mr Buckley" seems very familiar.

And at the end he makes the ultimate comment on the timelessness of the issue by quoting Plato from 2,400 years ago.

deirdre

Senior Member.
I don't know to what extent ignorance of science and mathematics contributed to the decline of ancient Athens, but I know that the consequences of scientific illiteracy are far more dangerous in our time than in any that has come before
I liked this part. ; )

Jason

Meaning it's the same now, it does not seem dated.

It was published nearly 20 years ago, in 1995, and he was talking about something that had happened years earlier. But the hopeful credulity of "Mr Buckley" seems very familiar.

And at the end he makes the ultimate comment on the timelessness of the issue by quoting Plato from 2,400 years ago.
The word "rather" before timeless is what threw me off. I totally agree, and that's his brilliance. That's why this book hit me at my very core, because not that far off into the distant past, I could've easily been confused with "Mr Buckley". This book changed my life and how I perceived the world around me.

Leifer

Senior Member.
I just listened (again) to the narrated audible book "Contact" (Carl Sagan)....read by actress Jodie Foster.
Significantly different to the film.....
I could hear Carl's ideas expressed in fuller detail than the film.
While this was Carl's fiction novel......it incorporated the best reality of human responses to an alien contact, I have ever heard (or read).

Jason

For those of you who can remember the Cosmos by Carl Sagan, it will be airing on Fox this upcoming March, but with a twist. It's been updated to reflect modern times, and one of my favorite astrophysicist will be hosting the show; Neil deGrasse Tyson. Check it out, and if you have kids it will be a great opportunity for them to get familiar with the Universe and all its wonders.

Jason

I just listened (again) to the narrated audible book "Contact" (Carl Sagan)....read by actress Jodie Foster.
Significantly different to the film.....
I could hear Carl's ideas expressed in fuller detail than the film.
While this was Carl's fiction novel......it incorporated the best reality of human responses to an alien contact, I have ever heard (or read).
Totally agree with you.

Svartbjørn

Senior Member.
While this isnt a book (tho I will be getting the books)... I just sat through a documentary called Dirty Wars. Its.... interesting, to say the least. It takes a while to get started, and your first impressions will be that its just another anti-US, anti-Government type of deal. Its a bit different though and pretty thought provoking. Its one of those "this is a conspiracy but no one's listening" type of deals where it turns out there was something to it.. or at least thats what I took out of it. It's also good training material for all those OMG I TOLD YOU CT types.. shows you the lengths you really need to go to to prove your theory.. not just rely on Youtube Videos. Its currently on Netflix and worth the watch.

jaydeehess

Senior Member.
Not conspiracy, but science nonetheless, I just began reading "Weird Life" by David Toomey

The search for life very different from our own. Extremophiles and possible non-terrestrial life forms.

meganix

I am reading through the free books from Stefan Molyneux right now. Anarchy and 'atheism' related mostly. =)

http://www.freedomainradio.com/FreeBooks.aspx

I have "Everyday Anarchy" and "Practical Anarchy" on my shelf at home and don't know honestly what to think of it's content. The inherent logic appeals to me, but there are really not any emprical evidence to back it up. It's about Anarcho-Capitalism and mostly about the ethical case for it. It's more thoughtfully put together, than the fear based type of Government conspiracy "NWO" that wants you to run from or fight every authority you meet and in so make you apporach the Libertarian Ideology instead. It use strict logic as a primary base but there are some false Dilemma/black and white fallacy in it.

It's philosphical, kind of philsophical that reminds me most about the Old Greek's philosophers like Socrates and Aristotle. Moral Absolutism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_absolutism
instead of the more "modern" Moral Relativsm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_relativism
That started with the decline of relligion and seperation of state and church. It would actually quite help people understand what is so "pervasive" about the Libertarian/Capitalist apporach to society, and why it's on the rise through the internet

I think that holding this moral standard in your personal life is very healthy. If it can be used as a guide for society, I'm much more sceptical about

Last edited:
Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
V Why CIA is publishing books about Illuminati? Conspiracy Theories 4
Mick West Curvature and Refraction in Surveying and Leveling Through History. Old Books, etc. Flat Earth 14
Mick West The Best Book for Explaining Contrails to Chemtrail Believers Contrails and Chemtrails 39
L Hayes Chemtrails: Chemistry 141 & 142, Fourth Edition CB (Applications & Concepts in Chemis USAFA Book on Contrails and Chemtrails 2
Mick West Debunking "Contrails don't Persist" with a Study of 70 Years of Books on Clouds Contrails and Chemtrails 98
Leifer Jonah Lehrer, books pulled, inacuracies and fabrication Science and Pseudoscience 1
Mick West NY Times: In Italian Schools, Reading, Writing and Recognizing Fake News Practical Debunking 60
Leifer You won't read everything in this thread...... Practical Debunking 17
T Is it less rational to believe in several conspiracy theories than only one? Conspiracy Theories 31
C Iran promotes anti-semetic conspiracy theories via American Herald Tribune Conspiracy Theories 0
GeorginaB Twitter is banning accounts linked to QAnon conspiracy Conspiracy Theories 0
Agent K Ghislaine Maxwell was arrested in New Hampshire Current Events 11
A Why 9/11 Truthers Are Wrong About The Facts | (Part 1 w/ Mick West) 9/11 1
Mick West Discussing 5G EMF Concerns, Theories, and Conspiracy Theories 5G and Other EMF Health Concerns 15
JFDee 9/11 Conspiracy Idea Slipped into Academic Course Material (France) 9/11 8
Mick West TFTRH #33 – Anthony Magnabosco: Street Epistemology and Conspiracy Theories Tales From the Rabbit Hole Podcast 1
Mick West TFTRH #31: Professor Elizabeth Loftus – Memory and Conspiracy Tales From the Rabbit Hole Podcast 6
Mick West TFTRH #15: Brad - Math vs. Conspiracy Theories Tales From the Rabbit Hole Podcast 21
Mick West TFTRH #13: Professor David Keith – Geoengineering Research and the Chemtrails Conspiracy Theory Tales From the Rabbit Hole Podcast 2
Marin B Facebook moderators believing in conspiracy theories Conspiracy Theories 4
Critical Thinker Russia's role in promoting conspiracy theories General Discussion 20
Rory The Conspiracy Theory Spectrum Practical Debunking 12
Mick West Conspiracy Theory or "Devil Theory" of Politics Conspiracy Theories 0
Mick West Alex Jones Deplatforming and Related Conspiracy Theories Current Events 49
Mick West Paper: How paranoid are conspiracy believers? Practical Debunking 21
Mick West Eruption of Kilauea Volcano in Hawaii – Conspiracies and Science Current Events 34
Mick West Perspective on the popularity of conspiracy theories. Practical Debunking 23
Leifer The Where's Waldo game, and the Conspiracy version. General Discussion 15
qed Roy Moore yearbook signature faked? Conspiracy Theories 111
M Bornong Can Belief in Chemtrails and/or other Conspiracy Theories Lead to Violence? Contrails and Chemtrails 4
G Applications of Game Theory to Assessing the Plausibility of Conspiracy Theories Practical Debunking 1
skephu Solar geoengineering and the chemtrails conspiracy on social media Contrails and Chemtrails 3
DannyBoy2k Are There Any Professional Groups Rebutting 9/11 Conspiracy Theories? 9/11 13
Mick West Explained: Unburned trees next to burned down structures as evidence of secret "energy weapons" Wildfires 120
Cube Radio What British Muslims think about 9/11 Conspiracy Theories 9/11 26
ZoomBubba Las Vegas Massacre - Surveillance Footage? Conspiracy Theories 115
Mick West Debunked: Hurricane Harvey, Project Stormfury, Conspiracy Theories Current Events 40
Mick West Dylan Avery - Director of the 9/11 Conspiracy Film "Loose Change" Escaping The Rabbit Hole 2
Mick West Hurricane Harvey. Cat 4. Major flooding. Conspiracy Theories. Current Events 10
Mick West Consensus Messaging vs. Message Targeting in Science Communication Practical Debunking 16
Mick West 2016 Berlin Truck Attack Conspiracy Theories Current Events 13
Mick West Current Events Forum Guidelines Current Events 0
skephu Changing Conspiracy Beliefs through Rationality and Ridiculing Practical Debunking 25
Marin B Garrett Graff : "Bungling" is a more likely explanation for government conspiracy theories Conspiracy Theories 7
Dick Holman How many people follow multiple conspiracy theories? Practical Debunking 12
Jay Reynolds New Dutch paper Analyzes how Conspiracy Theorists see themselves Conspiracy Theories 3
Mick West Conspiracy? Trump Repeating Falsely Attributed Quote from Russian Media. Conspiracy Theories 26
txt29 Conspiracy Theory: No blood on truck in Nice Conspiracy Theories 34
qed On Skeptoid's definition of Conspiracy Theory General Discussion 15
Mick West When Absence of Evidence is Evidence of Absence in Conspiracy Theories Practical Debunking 35
Related Articles

Related Articles