What are these fast moving UFOs that drone pilots keep recording?

Good thread on one example of this kind of thing is >HERE<. (Oh, I just noticed one of your vids is the Utah one, which is discussed in the linked thread! Small world!)

If the drone flies close to a small object, and if one then looks at the vid and thinks the object further away, the object can seem to zip past at incredible speeds (enhanced by parallax as the object seems to move past the bg, when in fact it is just small and nearby. Possible candidate objects then become "dandelion fluff (or cottonwood or other vegetable matter), bugs, birds, etc.

Don't want to re-cap the whole discussion here, the other thread should have what you need.

Edit... Extraneous "eventually" removed...

Last edited:
There from searching seemingly hundreds of these videos posted and more coming each year.
I guess I don't see what's so exciting about this. How high can a drone fly? I can't imagine it goes as high as an airplane. And an object is flying under the drone, so below the height of an airplane. That could be ANYTHING...bugs, birds, another drone. I don't understand the mystery.

As far as I can tell, the mystery comes from assuming they are further away than they are, and so are moving faster than they are - -maybe fast enough to be impossible for known phenomena. I am not aware of anybody testing this -- they seem to be common enough that it ought to be possible to, say, capture one simultaneously from two drones a known and set distance apart, then triangulate for distance, and thence, from two known points a known interval of time apart, for speed.

Idea given freely to any enterprising UFO enthusiast with access to a couple of drones and time to mess about with it.

Now I'm pretty confident that if you succeed, the math will give you "small, close and slow," consistent with bugs, wind-blown seeds and the like. But a million people like me being pretty sure of something is not worth as much as one person diving in and getting data. So, Ave alieni, inventores tui te salutant!

(Note: It is probably a violation of the politeness policy to correct my Latin, which has a number decades of laying unused in the back of my brain... be nice to the old guy... ;))

As far as I can tell, the mystery comes from assuming they are further away than they are, and so are moving faster than they are - -maybe fast enough to be impossible for known phenomena. I am not aware of anybody testing this -- they seem to be common enough that it ought to be possible to, say, capture one simultaneously from two drones a known and set distance apart, then triangulate for distance, and thence, from two known points a known interval of time apart, for speed.
A playlist of many short clips may also have just plain fakes in some of them as well. The ones I saw all seemed to be white - perhaps from a place with a lot of white birds, perhaps from reflection of the carapace of a beetle, perhaps cottonwood fluffies, OR perhaps from a pixel manipulation post-recording. Sending us a large collection of videos (107 in that playlist!) doesn't mean that they all depict the same thing.

Last edited:
There from searching seemingly hundreds of these videos posted and more coming each year.

And every single one I have ever seen can be easily explained as an insect. I'd have to look it up, but I'm pretty sure an analysis of parallax over the course of the original Utah 'UFO' ( as the camera is moving as the 'UFO' appears ) fairly conclusively showed it was very close to the camera. There's literally 'nothing to see here' with these videos. All just insects and parallax.

Incidentally, you say 'more coming each year' but none of what's in your video is even remotely new. I've seen all those clips before some time ago.

How high can a drone fly? I can't imagine it goes as high as an airplane.
I can. I've never seen any news articles about how drones can't operate in northern south america, so 3 kilometers doesn't seem to be a functional ceiling. (Yes, this is proof by absense of evidence, but I really think you'd have the evidence of the contrary were the contrary to be true.) Your average non-pressurised plane will fly at that kind of altitude.

Apparently there's a yt vid titled "La Paz, Bolivia in 4K ULTRA HD 60FPS Video by Drone", so I think my argument is sound. That's way over 3km in altitude, IIRC.

Back