Welcome Thread - New Members Post Here

Welcome but it is important to be clear. Metabunk views mocking (regardless of how slight or humorous it may appear) to be impolite and therefore in violation of the Posting Guidelines.
I understand that clearly as to listening to the audio book. Please note that my postings here wouldn't be of a mocking nature but to listen honestly and corroborate information towards discussion.

Hello! I used to lurk here frequently and decided to make an account finally. I want to come here because I feel at times I’m surrounded by nothing but fearmongering and extremism that I need a place where I can get through it all, ya know?

Hello! New here as well. I am new to the conspiracy theory world, after being introduced by a family member who seems to have gone down the rabbit hole. As per Mick’s book, I’m trying to get myself as informed as possible so I can discuss from a place of understanding. Gotta admit, it’s tough at times though! :).

Aside from learning, I’m into gardening, yoga and true crime/detective work/investigative journalism - always on the hunt for the truth!

Hello, first post; I'm a research scientist actively researching earthquake light. In excess of 150 published papers but only a handful on the subject

Hello Mick and all. I'm 47, go on paranormal investigations as a hobby and am just as interested in paranormal phenomena being debunked as proven. I've just linked to this site from the Foteana Forum and am looking forward to reading about other subjects here as well.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist (believer or debunker) but am very much enjoying the 'Through the 'Rabbit Hole' podcast. I have, in my past, had an experience that makes me a very interested observer but what I'm enjoying is hearing people argue their cases. Passion, in almost any context, is a beautiful thing. Peace.

This thread is for any first time poster to (optionally) post an introductory "hi everyone" post, which will also get you "verified" (meaning you can post without anti-spam restrictions) once it has been approved.

A few words on who you are and how you ended up here would be appreciated. Or just say hi!
upload_2013-11-7_15-17-0.png

It's highly recommended that you first read the Posting Guidelines:
https://www.metabunk.org/threads/posting-guidelines.2064/
Hello everybody, I am from The Netherlands. I just read an article in the Dutch newspaper 'de Volkskrant' about a new magazine published by complot theorists. One of the leading figures of this magazine - called "Gezond Verstand" ("Common Sense") - is a formerly highly respected journalist of another Dutch quality paper. In the Volkskrant this Metabunk.org was mentioned, as was Mr. West. I'm interesed in ways to cope with the way complot theorists communicate.

This thread is for any first time poster to (optionally) post an introductory "hi everyone" post, which will also get you "verified" (meaning you can post without anti-spam restrictions) once it has been approved.

A few words on who you are and how you ended up here would be appreciated. Or just say hi!

Goodday I am an 74 year old individual, haven lived and travelled in many countries in the world with special focus and interest in the Far and Middle East. I am very disappoined with the way the general public accepts what is told them by the mainstream Media. In my humble opinion this is the result of little knowledge of different languages (education) and the unableness to read publications in such languages. My favourite writers are Philip Roth and Mahbubani

I found my way to this website through Mick’s book, Escaping the Rabbit Hole. I began taking a special interest in debunking conspiracy theories when I lost a friend to a rabbit hole.
Really enjoying Mick’s book!

Hi all, I’m Bex and am currently reading Escaping the Rabbit hole, which I am sure is where many here first heard about the site.

I’m impulsive and easily irritated seeing supposedly intelligent people, fall further and further down the CT rabbit hole and not accept any of the articles I or others have tried showing them, out of the goodness of our hearts.

One person in particular, that I consider/ed a friend, has gone full Q and anti mask, which I find particularly upsetting, considering I have people close to me who have been affected by c19 and one even died.

i started off offering articles and I am now at a point where I am just infuriated at the arrogance, of the people posting all these conspiracies.

i am also annoyed with myself, because I feel like I am on the opposite side, feeling just as self righteous and arrogant, about being able to separate facts from fiction, with a little digging around online.

Anyway, I hope to find some easier ways to help people I know.
Those that are pushing far right rubbish, are not worth my time though.

Greetings! I've been lurking Metabunk for a couple months now and finally decided to take the plunge and register. I'm just a guy who enjoys watching people debunk conspiracy theories. I found Mick and Metabunk via an article on SYFY Wire by Phil Plait about the Navy UFO videos. Phil linked to Mick's video's on YouTube showing the Paralax illusion. I was looking to see if anyone had debunked those videos as a friend of mine showed them to me as "proof" that we have visual evidence of alien spacecraft.

Anyhow, I'm pretty much a lurker but am looking forward to asking questions here as they arise.

One person in particular, that I consider/ed a friend, has gone full Q and anti mask, which I find particularly upsetting, considering I have people close to me who have been affected by c19 and one even died.

i am also annoyed with myself, because I feel like I am on the opposite side, feeling just as self righteous and arrogant, about being able to separate facts from fiction, with a little digging around online.

Anyway, I hope to find some easier ways to help people I know.
Those that are pushing far right rubbish, are not worth my time though.
I'm right there with you. My best friend of 30 years recently went full Q and now we haven't talked in a few months. It's sad how many people are losing loved ones to that cult. Best wishes!

Gday cobbers! (greetings friends)

joining you today for my first time on this site, from Melbourne Australia, on the USA 2020 election day, and for Melbourne it's another double doughnut day, zero new covid19 infections and zero deaths (5th in a row I think?). If it is thought relevant, I could describe in detail our (somewhat) difficult path to this achievement; useful facts maybe, to counter suggestions that mask mandates and partial locking down have no effect. (potential damage to the economy as a worthwhile sacrifice being a totally different question)

Seeing, hearing Alex Jones (Infowars) claiming "psychosis" when finally pulled up to defend his Sandy Hoax claims and evidence, seemed like a victory, but perhaps in the pyrrhic column - in view of his being off the leash for Years spreading his nonsense, doing damage that will outlive his psychosis defence for even more years.

I am moved to try to understand the motives and agendas of the voices spreading baseless CT narratives, and the reasons why some listeners are susceptible. I hope that with this understanding there is a path to (or back to) widespread skills in spotting nonsense and calling it out, teaching and equipping a healthy and rational form of skepticism.

I am inspired by the degree of forensic detail to which claims are tested on Metabunk; inspired that there is at least one good path out of the echo chamber for those who want one. My heartfelt congrats and thanks for the effort involved, Mick et al. I hope to be able to contribute when a claim enters on one of my 'areas'.

Me? I am another big wrap for the films of Stanley Kubrick, being such a fanboy in my teens (1970s) that I could barely wait to go bald. (Be careful what you wish for) Also, a huge wrap for the writing of Thomas Pynchon, particularly Gravity's Rainbow. My CV would include a bewilderingly wide range of employment, but just at the moment I am satisfied to be a woodworker/carver, and a historian of military technology who is currently investigating the Meillerwagen, a trailer for the WW2 German V2 rocket.

Cheers, and ciao,
Stephen

Hello, I'm here because of my insatiable appetite for the truth...besides the ultimate source...the Bible! Hopefully in this group that will not be regarded an offensive statement.

Hello, I'm here because of my insatiable appetite for the truth...besides the ultimate source...the Bible! Hopefully in this group that will not be regarded an offensive statement.
Welcome!
I don't remember anyone here being offended at anyone's religion, and I expect expressing such a sentiment would violate the politeness policy.

Hi all,

Just found this site as I was trying to fact check an article. Hope this site will help me with that.

Have a nice day, evening or night (day time in Europe :) )!

Hello everyone!

I came across this place from a YouTube video I was watching about a stolen Boeing 727 that disappeared from Angola and was never found. A comment on this video proposed a particular set of coordinates in the Cambodian jungle as the location of this plane - and sure enough, Google maps does show what appears to be an aircraft with a snapped tail at those coordinates. Amusingly, the location is labelled as 'Bruh Flight School'.

At first glance, the plane looked too clean and not 'buried in trees' enough so I Googled the co-ordinates and ended up on a thread here. The thread was actually related to MH-370, not the 727 that initially piqued my interest, but it still gave a satisfactory explanation for the random plane in the jungle with the snapped tail. Basically just a plane that happened to be flying overhead and visual distortions due to how the images are rendered.

Anyway, I had a browse of the site and liked it enough to join, so here I am. I'm a CFA Charterholder and finance professional, so hopefully I can be of at least some use in debunking some of the absolute hogwash that gets passed around with regards to economics and the financial system.

Thanks!

Hello! I used to lurk here frequently and decided to make an account finally. I want to come here because I feel at times I’m surrounded by nothing but fearmongering and extremism that I need a place where I can get through it all, ya know?
Also new. I feel this comment to my core. My mind is naturally pretty conspiracy-leaning by nature for some reason. It takes willful action to not backslide into it.

Long time political interlocutor, first time posting on Metabunk. I'm an ex-pentester and current professional Reverse Engineer serving the American defense-space in the DC area. Former FF/EMT, Maker, Python Zealot, lgBt, Pagan, politically left ("we" > "me", the future > the past, Democracy > Capitalism). @madsc13ntist on twitter.

Hello guys, been lurking for a while now. I'm ready to chime in and contribute to this great community, especially in these times.

Greetings everyone. Just heard about this site from a Psychology Today article discussing the QAnon rabbit hole. I'm very interested in using this as a goto resource for debunking any and all fallacy laden narratives that seem to be on the rise in these times. I'm a movie buff. Love music, intellectual discussion and debunking myths.

Hi. I found this site referenced within "Escaping the Rabbit Hole" and want to have an opportunity to contribute, as time allows. I'm a moderate geek, engineering manager, atheist, and aspiring author. I long to have some influence on stabilizing our society by highlighting reason, science, logic, behavioral psychology and the simple conscious recognition that as a species, we can get achieve a lot more evolution by putting aside our egos and working towards the common goal of knowledge, wisdom and fairness to all. Oh, and I also want a pony.

Right now I am overwhelmed by the number of people who keep insisting that certain things aren't true and I never have time to answer each of their claims.

I recently came across the term Gish Gallop and I feel that my life has become just another version of that, day after day. I no longer bother to even respond to all the claims and I'm quite happy to crawl back under a rock for the next year.

Anyone else feel that ways?

This is perhaps a longer way of saying Hello, I'm a science oriented person and I have crawled out of a few rabbit holes and I'm sure I've fallen into others. That is the good thing about science though is that at least we admit we are open to further evidence and reason or we admit we don't know yet and may not ever fully know.

Hi Everyone,
Thank you for accepting me onto the site. I recently received my PhD in philosophy. My dissertation was on the effects of disinformation and echo chambers on democratic policymaking. My main areas of research are political philosophy, social epistemology, and medical ethics. I look forward to engaging with everyone.

Ami

Hi all! Found this site searching for info on the 'Gregory Stenstrom' allegations. Saw those picking up steam because of the techno language so wanted more info. This was the best site I found. Thanks for the good work!

Then just today was looking for info to debunk the 'suitcases of ballots in Georgia' rumor and found again a wonderfully helpful thread. Hope to contribute how I can.

Hi, thanks for the add. I stumbled upon this site when trying to debunk some of the absurd election myths. But I think this will also be really helpful debunking covid vaccine myths. I spent a few weeks going down the anti-vaxxer rabbit hole in 2018, and all I have to say is "wow". Being able to quickly and easily dismiss covid vaccine myths is going to be key to getting past the pandemic and life returning to normal. You are doing great work here!

Hey there! I'm ANewImpostor, and I'm a young guy trying to navigate a confusing world at the moment. The main impetus for my joining right now is because I found a few things of Satanic Ritual Abuse that made my blood run cold, and I'm hoping that it's as fake as all the other cases I've seen. I think I sort of get attached to that specific conspiracy theory because I'm incredibly, profoundly afraid of Christianity being true, even though, at least before seeing that stuff, I was pretty goddamn sure it wasn't. So yeah, that's where I am now. Hopefully this can pass quickly.

Hello, I'm Maircas (parents from Ireland hated it growing up, but I love it now) ... I'm a general 9/11 skeptic because I think that so much of the story is BS - judge away. I'm also a school teacher, a father, a husband, musician, artist, and pizzaiolo. My experiences so far with forums like this is that "skeptics" are actually "I need to prove the official story correct at all cost-ics" rather than actual skeptics...we'll see.

edit to add answer a question I posed of myself in my third post...

As I mentioned just above, I'm very interested in the 9/11 official story and the various unbelievable aspects to it. Why am I posting in 2020 about it? Coronavirus and the absolutely contrary to science, government sledgehammer reactions sent me into the great wide internet in search of information and I found many sites which discuss it - I watched Loose Change many, many years ago - the first version with the pods and thought "daaang" and then I saw the PopMech debunking in a headline and pretty much never thought of it again. I find it pretty amazing that I never even came across any of it over the years since I'm in no way a normie but alas, the propaganda machine is quite powerful. And no, I do not think Loose Change is particularly good at illuminating the various inconsistencies and unbelieveable explanations in an accurate manner.

Last edited:
Hi there,

My name is Joe and I'm here because of my father. I bought Mick's book "Escaping the Rabbit Hole" to try and help my dad and it lead me to Mick's forum here. My father was always fascinated with the JFK assassination conspiracy theories and when he retired last year he started watching YouTube videos on it. This then spiraled out of control when the YouTube algorithm started suggesting even more conspiracy theories. He now posts something new every day on Facebook about "the news they aren't telling you". His biggest theory is about this guy called Robert "Cody" Snodgres and how the CIA orchestrated to the Oklahoma City bombing. He also believes the Clinton's are killing poeple to hide their secrets. So in short I'm here to try and help him debunk some of these theories and bring him out of the rabbit hole.

Hello everyone! Delighted to finally be able to participate in this forum. I got into the ring of debunking conspiracy theories after stumbling upon countless videos about the Flat Earth that came from scammers or people whose research was very poor. Although from time to time interesting topics arise on which I would like to exchange opinions with other users, and for my part also to be able to contribute as much as I can to your research. Thank you!!

Hello everyone! I recently found metabunk's analysis of the Pentagon UFO videos, and was blown away by the sophistication and civility of the discussion. I've already learned a lot, and I hope to learn as much from other threads as I have from the Pentagon UFO thread.

Hi! This is not literally my first post, because I did ask a question in another thread recently, but I consider myself to be new here. I read "Escaping the Rabbit Hole" and really enjoyed it. Great stuff!

I registered on this forum because a friend of mine has, to my surprise, become convinced that the election was stolen, and I am trying to persuade him that his news sources are unreliable. I appreciate how this forum drills down into the details more than most other "debunking sites" and allows interactive discussion.

[...]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, I'm Lucy Grace.
I lost my mother and brother to Qanon and I started a support group on Facebook because I saw a need for a safe space for people who are dealing with their loved ones being CTs. I am one quarter of the way through Mick West's book and have found it very helpful, but I would like to complete it before I use any of the methods. I am here to find useful information and resources, thanks for having me!

Hello! I am a 15-year-old from the U.S., and I found this website after searching for information about something strange that a friend of my mom's said. The posts here have been exceedingly informational and helpful for concisely disproving various false claims, so I decided to sign up. I want to improve my fact-checking abilities and eventually contribute to the resources here.

Hello. I found this site via a recent article in Vice.com (Dec. 18, 2020) entitled “How to talk to your QAnon family during the holidays.”

I just checked out the book virtually and I have found it a consolation in my own struggles with my work peers who super smart and kind when it comes to repair (I work in a repair shop) but seem to have gotten lost down the rabbit hole when it comes to present events. I have gotten lost there myself.

Thank you for doing the patient work of examining specific evidence these broader theories catapult from.

Back