UFO: Contrail over Canada? Jackhead, Manitoba

Curt Collins

A UFO report was recently made, accompanied by a 20-second phone camera video of a sighting in Canada.

The place and time:
Jackhead, Manitoba, Jan. 11, 2019 at 3:00 pm.

I've got a copy of the video, but couldn't figure out how to share it here. Apparently it's been posted on Facebook and has been sent to the media. I've included two screenshots of it.

The camerawork is jerky, lots of pans and tilts. To my eye, there's no motion in the "object," which looks like a contrail illuminated by the sun (which is out of frame on the right). Is it a contrail - or maybe even just a cloud?

Chris Rutkowski is looking into this, and he asked me to post it here, hoping that someone can identify it. Specifically, does this match a known aircraft's path found in FlightAware?

Moderator add: link to video available here
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/fishers-spot-fireball-near-lake-winnipeg-504277072.html

Moderator add2: above link is blocked for some European viewers, this later article also provides the footage. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/sighting-lake-winnipeg-1.4976634

Last edited by a moderator:

deirdre

Senior Member.
I'm a bit confused because if the sun is SW wouldnt the object be south?

sunposition.JPG
ss.JPG

aside from my poor spatial skills, i might not be good at converting UTC.. but i think i got it right. (add: this is the 3pmish timeframe, but i think the photo is likely later)
fr24.JPG

edit add: forgot the oom out pic.. yes, there are lots of planes around
op.JPG

Last edited:

Z.W. Wolf

Senior Member.
If I had to guess I'd say this is the persistent smoke trail from a Quadrantid fireball. I think the observer saw the fireball but wasn't fast enough to catch it on camera. He videoed the persistent smoke trail. The blob at the far end is where the bolide blew up.

There's no specific report of a fireball that matches this place and time, but there are numerous reports all over the Northern U.S. and Canada within 24 hours of this event.

https://fireball.amsmeteors.org/mem...=-99&event=&event_id=&event_year=&num_report=

This could be an event that wasn't reported to the American Meteor Society site. Quadrantids aren't known for smoke trails, but no reason why there couldn't be one.

Last edited:

deirdre

Senior Member.

M Bornong

Senior Member.
If I had to guess I'd say this is the persistent smoke trail from a Quadrantid fireball. I think the observer saw the fireball but wasn't fast enough to catch it on camera. He videoed the persistent smoke trail. The blob at the far end is where the bolide blew up.

There's no specific report of a fireball, but there are numerous reports all over the Northern U.S. and Canada within 24 hours of this event.

https://fireball.amsmeteors.org/mem...=-99&event=&event_id=&event_year=&num_report=

Quadrantids aren't known for smoke trains, but no reason why there couldn't be one.
The path of that fireball.

fireball.jpg

Video of it, showing the speed.

https://www.amsmeteors.org/2019/01/...I_VaSrA5s_HvgY8oj5HsOB0-oq7rEfnlJByG8s0b3eK_8

Still looks like a contrail with a sundog, to me.

Z.W. Wolf

Senior Member.
The path of that fireball.

View attachment 35704

Video of it, showing the speed.

https://www.amsmeteors.org/2019/01/...I_VaSrA5s_HvgY8oj5HsOB0-oq7rEfnlJByG8s0b3eK_8

Still looks like a contrail with a sundog, to me.
-I didn't point to that particular event. There were many events.

-Are you sure what a fireball smoke trail looks like? This one from Arizona has evolved a complex shape because of winds.

Over time, the smoke trail evolved into a more substantial outbreak of clouds. Why? Because of condensation around the small bits of dust in the trail. In effect it is a contrail.

Z.W. Wolf

Senior Member.
That seems to be an inference made by the reporter.

And this is an inference made by the guy who wasn't there, but got sent the clip.

Could be just an ordinary contrail. But this sort of story - light moving across the sky leaving a trail - is usually generated by a plane and contrail illuminated in the twilight sky after local sunset.

If the eyewitnesses saw a daylight fireball it would make sense. No way to tell though, so I think we've gone as far as we can with this one.

Last edited:

Trailspotter

Senior Member.
Unfortunately, this link is unaccessible to me:

It looks like contrail with a sundog.
So it does to me too.

deirdre

Senior Member.
Unfortunately, this link is unaccessible to me:
you're not missing anything. M Bornongs pic in post #4 is pretty much it. the wisps dont even change over the course of the '19' second video. here's the tail end. Not much info given in the article written by
upload_2019-1-13_18-29-59.png

Curt Collins

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. There's a new story out, much better than the first, and the answer seems to be contrail and sunlight.
Mysterious flying object over Lake Winnipeg likely sun reflecting off plane clouds

Last edited by a moderator:

deirdre

Senior Member.
from your article
It's not that unusual, i was watching my 3pm-4:30 pm sky yesterday to verify to myself the sun position looks too low for 3pm (although maybe Canada skies differ?)

anyway, i caught the same thing. it was hard to get pics of because in my case the sun was right behind the contrail and was blinding me. bright end is below the window sash..
P1030421.JPG

oops apparently i took many.. this one doesnt have the sash break up
P1030418.JPG

Last edited:

deirdre

Senior Member.
i was wondering why it hadn't made the UFO cycle yesterday.. guess it took them a while to find it. His enhanced pic doesnt look anything like a UFO. i see no "o".

https://www.ufosightingsdaily.com/

Curt Collins

Waring. What a phony. He's a promoter, for sure!

I've never seen a contrail like this one, but have seen lots of lingering fragments illuminated by the sun. The effect was that of a glowing streak hovering in the sky. I'm sure this was something similar.

deirdre

Senior Member.
I've never seen a contrail like this one,
ive never noticed one either. but in your not zoomed still shot in the OP, it doesnt really look firebally so i'm sure i wouldn't notice such a thing in the sky.

Cool pics (video) though. Glad she took it.

M Bornong

Senior Member.
A little better article from the CBC. I don't think it's a very good description of a contrail.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/sighting-lake-winnipeg-1.4976634

Trailspotter

Senior Member.
i was wondering why it hadn't made the UFO cycle yesterday.. guess it took them a while to find it. His enhanced pic doesnt look anything like a UFO. i see no "o".

https://www.ufosightingsdaily.com/
As already suggested by @M Bornong, this looks very much like a sun dog on a spread out contrail/cirrus cloud. The coloured spot has the same elevation above the horizon as the Sun, and the order of rainbow colours is as expected for a sun dog. It should also be about 22° from the sun, which could be readily verified if the camera did not zoom in and out all the time.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member

Trailblazer

Staff member
So, it's a sundog that crosses a contrail? What an unbelievable coincidence, thanks for explanation!
It's not a coincidence exactly - the sundog will appear when the contrail is in the right position relative to the sun. Contrail clouds are ideal for creating solar haloes and sundogs - a phenomenon that was being discussed back in the 1940s, in some letters to The Times newspaper I found:

Discussion at https://www.metabunk.org/posts/165862/

("Mock sun" is another term for a sun dog, or parhelion)

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
JFDee Research: Consequences of Travel Shutdown for Contrail Coverage Contrails and Chemtrails 1
TEEJ Sunlit contrail, Cambridgeshire, UK causing media flap 15th April 2020 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Rory Unidentified "space vehicle" Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 8
Mick West Sunset Contrail "UFO" over Denver, Nov 23 2018 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Mick West Aerodynamic Contrails at 27,000 to 31,000 feet near Sacramento Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 2
C Explanation Strange contrail like structures over English Bay, Vancouver 8:30 PM Aug 5 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 3
Mick West Cut off contrail at sunrise with Corona Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 0
Mick West Illusion of Contrail Asymmetry from Flying perpendicular to the Sun Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 0
JFDee Falcon Heavy First Launch - Vertical Rocket Contrail Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 3
Mick West Late Distrail and Later Contrail Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Clouds Givemethewillies Contrail lobes or mamma? The importance of correct terminology Contrails and Chemtrails 0
Trailspotter Contrail cross over Tasmania and spinning contrails over Victoria Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 0
Mick West Tracking the Contrail of ANA173 with GOES-16 Images Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 14
Mick West Zigzag contrail on Terra Image Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 4
StarGazer SpaceX Falcon 9 Captures Video of its own Contrail from Space UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 17
Mick West Explained: Manurewa NZ, 'Extra-terrestrial' Fireball Jumps Up [Contrail, Altitude change] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
Mick West Halifax, NS: Regularly Spaced Gaps in Contrails [Ethiopian Flight 501] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 47
Mick West Explained: Viral Video of 787 Leaving Thick Contrails with Forced Perspective Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 1
TEEJ Contrails filmed from commercial flight over the Irish Sea - 6th May 2017 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 2
B Black line in sky seen from plane (contrail?) Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 2
Trailblazer Contrail videos on social media Contrails and Chemtrails 2
Mick West Rocket Contrail, South of Monterey, California [ Trident II Test] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 4
Mick West Zooming in on a Sunset Contrail "UFO" Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 2
Trailspotter Where did the third trail go? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 5
Mick West Explained: Exmouth UFO Flying Saucer - Sunlit Contrail and Motion Blur Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 70
Mick West Double "Black Beam" Contrail Edge Shadow over Mt Shasta Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 2
Mick West Black and White Contrail - Above or Below Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 10
steve holmes Why only one contrail today? Contrails and Chemtrails 8
Mick West A Sunlit Contrail Viewed From the Side Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 0
Mick West Relative Humidity at Flight Altitudes. Resources and Contrail prediction. Contrails and Chemtrails 11
steve holmes I'd appreciate help IDing this very odd contrail flight Contrails and Chemtrails 12
Mick West What's the Highest Contrail You've Taken a Photo Of? Contrails and Chemtrails 8
Mick West Persistent Aerodynamic Contrail Forming @28,500 on 787 Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 0
Trailspotter Helicopter aerodynamic dashed linear contrail Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 4
cloudspotter Unusual Contrail Off Norway Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 15
Mick West Giant Dark Persistent Aerodynamic Contrail Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 6
TEEJ Claim that Airliners are at risk of collision - Northern Ireland, 9th July 2016 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Mick West A Faint Asymmetric Contrail Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 2
JFDee Exemplary contrail shadow over Montreal Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
C Strange Flickering in Contrail Video Posted in Earlier Thread [Focussing artifacts] Contrails and Chemtrails 7
Trailblazer Explained: Contrail Cross in Florida, June 2 2016 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 1
Trailblazer 2012 Western Australia "meteor" identified? (contrail) Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 2
Mick West A Dark Contrail near Salt Lake Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 6
Inti Presenting the good stuff in Metabunk and Contrail Science in a different way? Practical Debunking 6
AumuA Transit of Mercury, with contrail. Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 0
Mick West NASA502 GLF3 Earthquake Survey Plane leaves giant curving contrails again Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 12
Marin B contrail or long skinny cirrus? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
Mick West Contrail Angle with the Horizon - A Useful Distance Rule of Thumb? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 8
Spectrar Ghost Contrail Evolution Sequence Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 0
Whitebeard Contrail on Moon Disc? Contrails and Chemtrails 12
Related Articles

Related Articles