Trying to identify an object with a contrail

AtomPages

A friend captured these shots over Alaska -- she said it was moving fast like a plane, but then slowed way down and started floating. I can't tell if this is just a description of the object moving slower as it went away from her, as one would expect, or if it appeared to actually change course or speed.

At a glance, it looks to me like a plane, though there appear to be three distinct bright spots, and the contrails appear to come only from the left two. I'm wondering if this is just an illusion, and perhaps we only see the bright spots because they're reflecting the sun. They seem to be the same distance from each other in all the shots, so it seems unlikely that they are distinct objects flying in parallel.

ufo1.pngufo2.png

ufo3.png

Finally, here's an overall view of the contrail dissipating. contrail.jpeg

Its a plane & contrails, if you can provide date time location coordinates etc its most likely someone here could identify & show the aircraft on a flight tracker and then demonstrate why the contrails were forming due to altitudes air temperature & RH - relative humidity.

The bright spots are reflections of the sun off the engines and of the winglets on the edge of the aircraft's starboard wing. The sun is to the right in the images, so it only reflects off the engines and right winglet. The port (left) winglet is at the wrong angle.

If you get the location, date and time of the photos I'll tell you exactly which plane it was.

The only identifying clues I have so far are: plane was traveling west to east, slightly to the north of her, pictures were taken from 7:57 - 8:01 am AKST somewhere within 2 hours of Anchorage. Friend says the only thing on the radar nearby were some helicopters, which she also heard.

The only identifying clues I have so far are: plane was traveling west to east, slightly to the north of her, pictures were taken from 7:57 - 8:01 am AKST somewhere within 2 hours of Anchorage. Friend says the only thing on the radar nearby were some helicopters, which she also heard.
What radar?

Drag the slider to compare these. The angle isn't perfect, but you get the general idea.

Sun angle is pretty low, off to the right. The contrail from the right engine is partly shading the contrail from the left engine, that's why the left engine contrail isn't as bright. The left winglet is completely in the shadow of the fuselage, so no sunlight reflection at all from it.

ok thanks, do you know what date the pictures taken

A friend captured these shots over Alaska -- she said it was moving fast like a plane, but then slowed way down and started floating. I can't tell if this is just a description of the object moving slower as it went away from her..
I think what you're talking about is the hovering illusion. The hovering illusion is due to perspective distortion. Apparent speed changes with distance.

The planes are on the horizon above the red blinking light.

Right edge of frame.

Last edited:
Sun angle is pretty low, off to the right. The contrail from the right engine is partly shading the contrail from the left engine, that's why the left engine contrail isn't as bright. The left winglet is completely in the shadow of the fuselage, so no sunlight reflection at all from it.
Please use the reply button so we know what message you are referring to.

Airliners heading east above 20,000 ft at 8am Alaska Time, are as below. Probably not the 747 as it has 4 engines.

1679919248650.png

Looking at the OP picture of the contrails, I suspect that it is the Singapore Airlines A350, with the JAL 787 just visible above the treeline. @AtomPages - Knowing exactly where the photo was taken would really help. Can you get any more info?

Last edited:
Looking at the OP picture of the contrails, I suspect that it is the Singapore Airlines A350, with the JAL 787 just visible above the treeline.

I'm even tempted to say that a third set of fresh contrails is just visible in the distance below the tree-line too. Which your map also seems to have. Even without that it's a decent quality match.

I'm even tempted to say that a third set of fresh contrails is just visible in the distance below the tree-line too. Which your map also seems to have. Even without that it's a decent quality match.
I agree, also based on an overlay of the sun's position on a Stellarium view of Alaska at that time -- looks like the contrail in question is ENE, with the secondary one being closer to directly east.

1679925459168.png

Back