UAPs seen by pilots - shared by Ryan Graves

But does it work? Can you show me an example of that argument being made where the originator of the report has replied with something along the lines of "oh, yes, you're right,how silly of me. I promise I won't make such an unbased claim again"?
That's your goal? to make the originator admit his mistake in public?

If that is the goal then Metabunk has zero very little purpose, your way or my way.

Last edited:

If that is the goal then Metabunk has zero purpose, your way or my way.
Deirdre, don't overdramatize. You're the one who is always telling people to make the information readily available to "ordinary readers", i.e. non-Metabunk members. If that's the case, then you share his purpose (and mine) of having people understand the evidence which will clarify the situation. If people say "Oops, I was wrong" TO THEMSELVES, that means we have done well.

Deirdre, don't overdramatize. You're the one who is always telling people to make the information readily available to "ordinary readers", i.e. non-Metabunk members. If that's the case, then you share his purpose (and mine) of having people understand the evidence which will clarify the situation. If people say "Oops, I was wrong" TO THEMSELVES, that means we have done well.
that's not what Fat Phil said.

But does it work? Can you show me an example of that argument being made where the originator of the report has replied with something along the lines of "oh, yes, you're right,how silly of me. I promise I won't make such an unbased claim again"?
Richard Griffins, the presenter of the "mile-long mothership" did reach out to admit his mistake and thank us for our work. He plans to do a talk on the issue of misidentifying Starlink.
https://www.metabunk.org/threads/so...osses-the-north-pacific-starlink-stack.13071/

But to speculate on what agenda he might be pushing, I don't think it's to make the case these are extraterrestrial in origin, but to make a case that there's a threat to flight safety
That's what he says, but the cynic in me (which is the biggest part!) says that's just his cover story. Its's like motherhood and apple pie: surely no-one can object to improving flight safety! But as already pointed out above, if his main concern was really flight safety there would be better ways of going about it.

Richard Griffins, the presenter of the "mile-long mothership" did reach out to admit his mistake and thank us for our work. He plans to do a talk on the issue of misidentifying Starlink.
https://www.metabunk.org/threads/so...osses-the-north-pacific-starlink-stack.13071/

cool. i stand corrected. edited my comment to reflect this new info.

although not the best refuting as Griffins is a physicist and astronomer so likely cane already understand the complex software programs. ie. can verify the info himself
1692810191740.png

Last edited:

Is there any way you could possibly get him to do an interview or conversation with you on Youtube? You're very polite and in almost every conversation I've seen you have with people who disagree with you initially you typically end up agreeing with one another by the end of the conversation when their misconceptions about your views are cleared up. It's frustrating to only see folks like this be interviewed by UFO podcasts who largely already agree with their views. It'd be nice to see more interviews and conversations with people who disagree with each other but who can still have a polite conversation with one another. That's typically where the real opportunity for growth and progress happens.

If that is the goal then Metabunk has zero very little purpose, your way or my way.

What is the point of proposing a counter-argument? If it's not to persuade, why is it being done?

This entire disagreement feels like it would melt away if you all had an actual conversation over some kind of video chat app or even in an in-person meet-up.
I would like to note that I think deirdre makes generally very good quality postings here, and I hope this disagreement doesn't lead to bad blood. I think we should all push for clarity and should try to avoid being too negative-I think I may delete this comment-
The dismissive conflation of "alleged UAP sightings carefully lined up and matched to starlink satellites" with the anti-skepticism stereotype of "swamp gas" strikes me as the kind of thing a cynical opportunist would say to poison the well.
I think there's a good chance this is true, but it does come off pretty harsh to what could be an issue of pride rather than malicious inculcation of ignorance.

i personally dont think this reads as bad blood, more like a level headed argument between adults.
It is always important to separate personal feelings from the subject of debate. Or in other words "don't take everything personal".
I am also not always good at it. I think if you are into politics or are a politician, you learn that very early on in your career.
There is a reason why our former MP was called "Teflon Mark".

Back