The art of "turning around" an airliner

MikeC

Closed Account
"Turning around" is the effort that goes into an aircraft after it has arrived in order to make it ready for it's next flight - it includes offloading passengers (pax) and freight, sometimes moving the aircraft off the "gate" to a holding position, perhaps some maintenance, cleaning, towing back to a gate, and then loading pax, freight, supplies, fuel and crew.

this article in the NY Times is a nicely illustrated run-through of what is entailed in this activity - which occurs 10's of thousands of times a day (at least!) all over the world.........

I have to do that four times a day, all within 30 minutes. No wonder I'm tired when I get home...

it includes offloading passengers (pax) and freight, sometimes moving the aircraft off the "gate" to a holding position, perhaps some maintenance, cleaning, towing back to a gate, and then loading pax, freight, supplies, fuel, aluminium, barium and strontium nanoparticles and crew.

FTFY ;)

Seriously though, it's just another layer in the impossibility of the "using commercial airliners for geoengineering" that people like Ian Simpson and Max Bliss claim is going on.

I have to do that four times a day, all within 30 minutes. No wonder I'm tired when I get home...

4 times a day?? When I was a young fella we'd do it 10-12 times in an 8 hour shift - with effort going into aircraft on adjacent gates at the same time......;)

Back