Poll Finds Many Believe QAnon And Other Conspiracy Theories

Mendel

Senior Member.
Article:
A significant number of Americans believe misinformation about the origins of the coronavirus and the recent presidential election, as well as conspiracy theories like QAnon, according to a new NPR/Ipsos poll.
[..]
"Increasingly, people are willing to say and believe stuff that fits in with their view of how the world should be, even if it doesn't have any basis in reality or fact," Jackson said.
npr poll.png

This is more popular than I thought. :(

Ipsos have described the poll and their methodology at https://www.ipsos.com/en-us/news-polls/npr-misinformation-123020 . There's a download link to a PDF with detailed response data. I found the following items particularly interesting:
Article:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Surprisingly, we're all similarly concerned about misinformation; that appears to be some common ground. Unfortunately, we also tend to think that the other group is less informed than we are. It's kinda hard to say that in general because the questions asked in this poll are just a subset of what it's possible to be misinformed about. For the Covid-19 misinformation issues, though, it's true that while Republicans and Democrats are similarly concerned about misinformation, Democrats are on average much better informed on the pandemic than Republicans, so these "concerns" don't translate to being better informed yourself.

I guess being "concerned" about misinformation in others doesn't necessarily lead people to re-think their own sources of information.

Being concerned about misinformation does not mean that you're well-informed yourself.

I guess being "concerned" about misinformation in others doesn't necessarily lead people to re-think their own sources of information.

i guess not.
1609682208281.png

whats the deal with only 46% of democrats thinking Pizza Gate is false?
and who determined what the correct answer is? we dont know if Covid was created in a lab or not. actually we dont know if any of those questions are false. There is no evidence of any of those topics but it doesnt mean those statements are false.

Some don't know, and some are misinformed.
image.jpeg
and who determined what the correct answer is? we dont know if Covid was created in a lab or not. actually we dont know if any of those questions are false. There is no evidence of any of those topics but it doesnt mean those statements are false.
Deirdre, you can look up most of these topics on this very site, including the evidence that shows Covid was not man-made. We discussed this here back in March and April. Every virologist who works in this field knows that Covid was not man-made.

Article:
A meeting took place at Trump Tower in New York City on June 9, 2016, between three senior members of the 2016 Trump campaignDonald Trump Jr., Jared Kushner, and Paul Manafort – and at least five other people, including Russian lawyer Natalia Veselnitskaya. [...]

Donald Trump Jr. made several misleading statements about the meeting.[3] He initially told the press that the meeting was held to discuss adoptions of Russian children by Americans. On July 8, 2017, after news reports stated that Trump Jr. knew the meeting was political, he admitted in a tweet that he had agreed to the meeting with the understanding that he would receive information damaging to Hillary Clinton, and that he was conducting opposition research.[4]

and i reiterate: regarding the POLL and respondents misinterpreting the questions.

there is no way 54% of democrats believe " a group of Satan-worshipping elites who also run a child sex ring are also trying to control or politics and also trying to control our media.
If 54% of dems believed that and 86% of Repubs and 66% of Independents believed that, then noone would be mocking q-anon this much.
1610752291517.png
Deirdre, as you can see from the first image in the first post in this thread, there is a sizeable number of respondents answering "don't know". 13% of Democrats believe in that particular conspiracy theory.

I hae already quoted from the detailed survey data; here's the data you are concerned about:
Article:
a. A group of Satan-worshipping elites who run a child sex ring are trying to control our politics and media
TotalRepublicanDemocratIndependent
True17%23%13%12%
False*47%38%57%49%
Don’t know37%38%30%39%

b. COVID-19 was created in a lab in China
TotalRepublicanDemocratIndependent
True40%62%26%33%
False*32%14%46%33%
Don’t know29%24%28%33%

The person who created the bar graphs seems to have switched the captions.

ok so 43% of Democrats do not disbelieve q-anon.
61% of Republicans do not disbelieve q-anon.
51% of Independents do not disbelieve q-anon.

but the media keeps telling us how crazy this fringe q-anon is. hhmmm. maybe the media really is in the satan loving elites pocket.

i guess not.
1609682208281.png

President Trump worked with Russia to win... etc..

That is poorly written and I disagree with it.

Russia has been waging a campaign of disinformation to shape US public opinion and... basic psychology really... for many decades. For example, the original JFK assassination conspiracy theory - the CIA killed JFK - was created by KGB disinformation in the 60's, and the campaign was decades old then. The KGB never went away. It seamlessly became the FSB, with all the expertise intact and a larger budget.

The narrative in 2016 was simple: Clinton bad, Trump good, US government bad. They went with Trump over Hillary because Trump is a very easy target for their techniques of shaping people to unwittingly take on their agenda. Trump was an unwitting tool. There was no collusion because there was no reason for it.

There are shorter versions of Nance's thesis, but this is the best version if you approach the subject with a serious mind, because the details matter.

Last edited:
since [parts of] the whole middle of this conversation was moved to rambles for some unknown reason, lets try it this way:

1610811041405.png

Even the MayoClinic agrees with me (and @ump), that the POLL QUESTION is not worded properly, thereby negating any "insights" we might get from this poll.

Even the MayoClinic agrees with me (and @ump), that the POLL QUESTION is not worded properly, thereby negating any "insights" we might get from this poll.
The Mayo clinic says nothing about the wording of the question.

I believe that anyone who replies "true" to "COVID-19 was created in a lab in China" is misinformed. I do not think an informed person would read that to be true no matter how you choose to interpret it.

Sorry. I did it from memory. The meta-narrative was Russia good, Hillary bad, Trump good/president of the U.S. And I meant there was no collusion as in Trump being an asset who takes orders and carries out orders.

Last edited:
Back