Need help explaining: NASA images of Earth from 2017 eclipse show different shadow sizes

Patrick Gonzalez

This is the first time I create a thread on this site. I've read the posting guidelines as required and I'm doing all I can to stay within those guidelines.

https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/12698

EclipseBalloon_Kuaray_1093.jpg
eclipse-solar-8-21-2017-ISS-Paolo-Nespoli-8-e1503391085608.jpgepic_1b_20170821181450.png

As seen from NOAA's DSCOVR and GOES-16 and NASA's LRO, the shadow seems to be the size of the entire continental United States while in ISS and high-altitude balloon footage it seems to be just the umbra. I vaguely remember a flat-Earther using this footage as "proof" that NASA was faking footage from those satellites (even though both DSCOVR and GOES are from NOAA) but that was months ago and I don't remember which YouTube channel was it.

My guess is that the images from DSCOVR and GOES are darker while the ISS and high-altitude balloon images have a higher exposure and different color settings. This could definitely be the case for the LRO images as it's designed to take pictures of the Moon (i.e. gray and dark imagery). As I know very little about photography I don't know. Would some of you please help me with this? Thanks. :^)

Last edited by a moderator:

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
As seen from NOAA's DSCOVR and GOES-16 and NASA's LRO, the shadow seems to be the size of the entire continental United States while in ISS and high-altitude balloon footage it seems to be just the umbra.

The umbra (region of total eclipse) is quite small. If you are at relatively low altitude and can see the umbrae, then you can't really see the edge of the penumbra, because it's over (or near) the horizon.

Jon Adams

Hi Patrick:

One would also need to know what the dynamic range of the imager is, as the chewy dark center is a lot dimmer than the bright Earth. Like if you were inside a black-walled house with a photo hanging on the wall next to an exterior window through which the sun was streaming, while your camera was pointed out the window at the sun, and you wanted to make out the detail of the photo.

While I have no personal data for the brightness of the sky during a total lunar eclipse, according to information posted at this site, the umbral magnitude of a particular 2018 total lunar eclipse was predicted to be magnitude 1.3, and the full sun is about magnitude -26, so that's 27+ magnitudes, which is about 7E10 difference. (5 astronomical magnitudes equals a difference of 100 in brightness.) That's about a illumination difference of 70 billion to one, which would require an imaging sensor to have a heck of a lot of dynamic range. Because of this, it's quite possible the sensor gain was set to not wash out the the normal Earth brightness, and so the umbral center would be way way lower than the sensitivity of the sensor. It'd just be black.

Trying to estimate the size and darkness of the umbra from an image like this, using a sensor not purposed for this, is not very useful.

Cheers and 73 - Jon N7UV

Last edited:
Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
S Need help to identify an object in the sea Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 1
Qulaey Two problems need help debunking and debating tips? please. Flat Earth 9
Bunkmeister Need help with calculating vertical speed of ascending shadow at sunset Flat Earth 13
M Need help debunking a picture [Four Jets in Formation, Leaving Contrails] Contrails and Chemtrails 12
M Need help debunking this [Low Altitude Survey Flight] Contrails and Chemtrails 6
Pumpernickel Need Debunking: Foucault's Pendulum debunked through Mach's principle (the Earth is a static object in the center of the Universe) Science and Pseudoscience 16
H Need Debunking: Hernando County platforms from more than 10 miles Flat Earth 9
mudr0 Why do spacesuit-wearing astronauts need blankets after returning to Earth? Science and Pseudoscience 5
mudr0 Need Debunking: Video claiming zigzaggin objects and movement prove EVA filmed in pool General Discussion 33
vooke Need debunking: Writings in the sky Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 11
ConfusedHominid Need Debunking (Claim): Metabunk Curve Calculator Does Not Calculate for Angular Size Flat Earth 13
MikeG Police Don't Need HS Diploma General Discussion 1
Truthful New published physics article points out NIST limitations and need for new investigation. Conspiracy Theories 3
SabreSaint Need Debunking: CERN To Recreate Big Bang Science and Pseudoscience 26
vooke Need debunking:Ebola conspiracies video Conspiracy Theories 10
A Need explanation: What kind of plane was that? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 6
derwoodii [Debunked] Jeff Rothschild. In order to finalize the New World Order we need a 3rd world war [Fake] Quotes Debunked 6
zebra100 Need 3/8/14 Andaman Sea Sat Photos to Verify Malaysia Woman Saw Downed MH370 Flight MH370 85
SabreSaint Need Debunking: Blackwater Deployed To Ukraine? Conspiracy Theories 37
Clock Debunked: "All we need is the right major crisis and the nations will accept the NWO" Quotes Debunked 12
H Need someone savvy on the holocaust Conspiracy Theories 36
Mick West What You Can do to Help Promote Escaping the Rabbit Hole Escaping The Rabbit Hole 18
T Help with Photo Of Dark Lines in Clouds needed. Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 5
Mick West Statistics Help Needed - Understanding the practical meaning of r values Practical Debunking 6
wonderland78 Help with a debate about curvature and distance calculations Flat Earth 30
ki_cz Help identifying odd flights Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 8
N Please help me to debunk this topic: stranges sphere outside of the ISS. General Discussion 18
steve holmes I'd appreciate help IDing this very odd contrail flight Contrails and Chemtrails 12
D Can you help with a picture? [Ballast Barrels] Contrails and Chemtrails 6
c.eileen Help to ID a plane? [N90 - FAA Flight Inspection Aircraft] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 30
Husband of chemmy Help me! Wife is Chemtrailing... Contrails and Chemtrails 69
C MH370: Help me debunk this General Discussion 21
derwoodii any help to prove or disprove this quote or claim Quotes Debunked 22
R Help debunking Sandy Hook and Aroura crisis actors! Conspiracy Theories 8
K Please help me find sources on anthropogenic climate change scientific consensus General Discussion 5
Leifer Help needed finding demolition video. 9/11 28
Leifer does Social Media + Ego help drive conspiracy theories ? General Discussion 63
jtmac Help me to understand - Photos and Videos with very large numbers of contrails Contrails and Chemtrails 52
M Bornong A little help identifying a flight? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 12
C Help debunk please!? [Contrail Grids, Weather Modification, Fuel Dumping] Contrails and Chemtrails 18
Mark Dobson Help identifying this object [Bolide / Meterorite] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 10
N Little help to debunk clouds with color Practical Debunking 2
J Help I'm talking to an idiot. Conspiracy Theories 8
Charlie Primero Want a Global Criminal Enterprise? Google Can Help. General Discussion 0
Gunguy45 Help identifying odd clouds General Discussion 18
J Help with some information. Contrails and Chemtrails 2
J Explaining the white smoke from the base of the South Tower 9/11 Conspiracy Theories 13
Mick West Explaining the 9/11 Murray St Engine from Flight 175 (N612UA) that hit WTC2 9/11 14
Mick West Explaining the Ghost Boy in the Back Seat Photo with Occam's Razor UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 99
Mick West The Best Book for Explaining Contrails to Chemtrail Believers Contrails and Chemtrails 39
Related Articles

Related Articles