Moving lights in the Phoenix night sky

Viggy

On 1/29/2022 I was getting cash at an ATM at the corner of 7th st and Glendale in Phoenix AZ at about 9:00pm. When I finished I was about to make a right turn onto Glendale when I saw these four glowing orbs/lights in the sky. I was looking towards the north and I would estimate they were at about a 27 degree angle above the northern horizon (roughly a quarter of the way up from the horizon). I got my phone out and recorded for one minute and 32 seconds. At the start of the video (0:00) the orbs are visible and they slowly move almost in tandem towards my vantage point. At (0:16) I attempt to zoom in and see what the lights are. The zoom proved to be quiet out of focus so I went back to being zoomed out (0:21). For the next several seconds the lights continued coming closer but now seem to be slightly out of sync in their movements. At (0:29) the second closest light seems to begin to dim and slowly goes out/disappears. By (0:35) that light is no longer visible. By (0:38) the closest light also goes out. The remaining lights come quite close to each other and seem to go slightly around each other and then begin to separate. Again at (0:56) I tried to zoom into the lights and zoom back out at (0:59) at which point the light on the left begins to twinkle and disappear/go out. At (1:12) it becomes harder to see the last remaining light.
Once I could no longer see the lights I stopped recording and pulled out of the bank and was traveling east on Glendale when I saw another such light move across the sky. I was not able to get that one on video because I was already driving on a busy street and could not stop to record.
Any input onto what it was that I saw would be most helpful. I must say that this was a very strange experience.
A few other points that may be helpful. At the start of the video (0:00) you can see a helicopter cross the lower sky from left to right until is cannot be seen (0:10). Also there are some glares that get in the video at some points but those are pretty self explanatory.
Here is the video which shows the whole thing
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OyXjzQGDpo

I think sky lanterns seem the most likely - they move slowly, they drift about somewhat randomly (but in the same general direction), and they fade out.

Interesting take! Would they move across the sky like this? I don't think it was windy on Saturday night or at least I don't remember it being windy. Either way thanks for your input! Keep up the good work!

Interesting take! Would they move across the sky like this? I don't think it was windy on Saturday night or at least I don't remember it being windy. Either way thanks for your input! Keep up the good work!
The wind is often greater above the ground than at ground level. It wouldn't take much to blow them as seen in your video.

I checked on Flightradar24 when you recorded this. That's a helicopter at 1,675' MSL ~.6 miles north of you flying from left to right.

Last edited:
The wind is often greater above the ground than at ground level. It wouldn't take much to blow them as seen in your video.

I checked on Flightradar24 when you recorded this. That's a helicopter at 1,675' MSL ~.6 miles north of you flying from left to right.
Wow! Good work with the helicopter. I knew that it was a helicopter but that's so cool that you were able to find its altitude. Can we use that information to figure out the altitude of the lights?

Wow! Good work with the helicopter. I knew that it was a helicopter but that's so cool that you were able to find its altitude. Can we use that information to figure out the altitude of the lights?

I don't believe so without knowing their size. But there are a lot of smarter people than me here.

I think sky lanterns seem the most likely - they move slowly, they drift about somewhat randomly (but in the same general direction), and they fade out.
Damn you Mick! You know very well that they are alien spaceships that flew into a stargate or wormhole to another dimension. ;)
Just stop with your logical explanations.

Back