Large Images now Resize Down to 1600 Pixels Max.

WeedWhacker

(I'm confused...usually there is an option to upload and post a photo "from a file", or "from a link".)

I seem to have a similar problem, with my digital camera sometimes. A big pixel CCD tends to make a HUGE file (to increase resolution, digitally).

Going directly from camera seems to involve a problem with file sizes (I was doing this in some Google e-mails recently). Seems the best way is to run the image through another processing program, to "compress" it. (??) I'm still figuring a lot of this technical stuff out).

I always thought that "JPG" was already a compression method....but, your pics are IN "JPG" (?)

Fixed!

It was limiting images to 20MP, and that was a 24MP image.

I've also added automatic resizing of images to max 1600 pixel width or height. There is generally very little need for someone to be uploading a 4000x6000 image, and a few of those in a thread can really eat into your mobile data plan.

If people need to upload raw images without them being resized, there might be a problem. A solution would be to zip them up and post them. We'll see.

So this means you don't need to bother resizing images from the camera now.

.... although I'm in two minds as to if this a good thing or not.

.... although I'm in two minds as to if this a good thing or not.

Please keep in mind that not everbody on the whole Planet has full-acess to highspeed-Internet.

Even in an high-tech-country like Germany there are limitations: Contracts for Internet via mobile devices for example are often limited to a Volume of 100, 300 or 500 MB Highspeed per Month. After reaching this limit, the speed will be reduced to 8KB/sek for the rest of the month. Those contracts are very common in Germany.

If I would have such a contract with just 100 MB, I wouldn´t not be very "thankfull" if just a click to this thread would "steal" me 28 MB from my Highspeed-Volume just for 2 Pictures.

Please keep in mind that not everbody on the whole Planet has full-acess to highspeed-Internet.

Even in an high-tech-country like Germany there are limitations: Contracts for Internet via mobile devices for example are often limited to a Volume of 100, 300 or 500 MB Highspeed per Month. After reaching this limit, the speed will be reduced to 8KB/sek for the rest of the month. Those contracts are very common in Germany.

If I would have such a contract with just 100 MB, I wouldn´t not be very "thankfull" if just a click to this thread would "steal" me 28 MB from my Highspeed-Volume just for 2 Pictures.

Yes, and for that reason (and just general browsing speed), I think I'll keep it like this. The photo in the cloud ceiling painting thread went from 14,000K to 168K - with no real on-screen degradation in quality unless you zoom in.

Last edited:
I don't know if other people are experiencing this, but my alerts on the top right don't match what's happening in each thread. There can be several comments made, but the alerts won't show them. Or they show a comment from 45 minutes ago. Sometimes there will be an alert and when I click on it, its from an older comment that I've already read and responded too. I'm not hitting the back button neither...

And, the thread about slippery slope just disappeared. Must be the NSA. o_O

I deleted it for Posting Guideline violations. It wasn't helping.
Not sure what not helping even means. I very much could be mistaken, but I thought it was in the chit chat or rambles forums. But, I'm not here to argue about it. It's your site, and you can do whatever you want with it, as you say.

Last edited:
It was in the MetaDebunking forum, which is subject to posting guidelines. While it presented as a discussion of a logical fallacy, it was really just a continuation of the discussion that had been terminated for politeness reasons.

It wasn't helping with the Metabunk mission of reducing the World's bunk.

Back