Illegal Radio Communications idea - Look-up.Org

My advice, dont even think about it. This post will be archived separately by me.

Absolutely.

It is a CRIME, in EVERY (western, and IATA -compliant) country to interfere with ATC communications.

(ETA: Noting that I, personally, encountered many years ago {1980s} some VERY unprofessional "radio attacks" during an especially "turbulent" era in the USA, in the airline industry. When, actual flights who were transmitting to ATC were "BLOCKED" by others on the same frequency.....(this is an aspect of VHF communications).

Simply "keying" the mic....results in "blocking" others, when using the normal ATC VHF frequencies.

SUCH actions are a VIOLATION of not only (in the USA) FCC regulations, but also (Internationally) quite possibly considered as a "terrorist" act.

(EDIT) For ANYONE who is interested in hearing some ACTUAL ATC "lingo" (NOT the nonsense you hear in most Hollywood movies, nor the B.S.) ....here is a link to listen to some actual ATC communication: http://www.liveatc.net/

(PLEASE note that you must know a bit about how to enter the codes. In order to access the listening sites that you want to monitor...and, also, that this site is a VOLUNTEER site).

Last edited:
They are pretty daft if they think that it will be difficult to "pin down" their transmitting locations. The FCC in the USA is very active in Direction Finding interference signals whether pirate broadcasters, noise interference and what not on critical communications systems. The Amateur radio community actively polices itself in the same way - I had my own mobile VHF/UHF DF set in my storm chaser for Ham Fox and Hound events. Plus if they (FCC) needed any assistance I guarantee the DoD can isolate them to their door step. These DF capabilities and enforcement actions are also very actively enforced in nearly all countries in the ITU regulated world. So if Ian and his lot really are that daft, let them finally see what happens when you play with the bear and endanger public safety for real. I know the FCC is very good at handing out significant fines and jail sentences to those who are so foolish, they publish the notices either monthly or quarterly.

Seems that Ian has decided that he wouldn't be able to contact airline pilots with this anyway. No idea how he's reached this conclusion though.

Seems that Ian has decided that he wouldn't be able to contact airline pilots with this anyway. No idea how he's reached this conclusion though.

Reading the most recent posts (two more after the ones posted in the OP), it seems to me that Ian didn't understand Lewis's post - either concluding it would be technically difficult or prohibitively expensive, or that the comment about small aircraft applies to the entire post and is irrelevant to commercial planes.

The guy who came up with the idea now "couldn't possibly recommend" actually doing it.
Well, it is technically a trivial matter to contact overflying aircraft. Legislation is the only impediment to your doing so. I couldn't possibly recommend that you did it.
Content from External Source
I guess it's just fun to think about, but just in case somebody gets themselves arrested for it wouldn't want their browser history to implicate you too badly, eh?

Reading the most recent posts (two more after the ones posted in the OP), it seems to me that Ian didn't understand Lewis's post - either concluding it would be technically difficult or prohibitively expensive, or that the comment about small aircraft applies to the entire post and is irrelevant to commercial planes.

The guy who came up with the idea now "couldn't possibly recommend" actually doing it.
Well, it is technically a trivial matter to contact overflying aircraft. Legislation is the only impediment to your doing so. I couldn't possibly recommend that you did it.
Content from External Source
I guess it's just fun to think about, but just in case somebody gets themselves arrested for it wouldn't want their browser history to implicate you too badly, eh?

Could be they've even seen this thread and decided to quickly back pedal so as not to implicate themselves

The FCC in the USA is very active in Direction Finding interference signals whether pirate broadcasters, noise interference and what not on critical communications systems.

I can attest to that. Back in the 80's when I was in the Navy we had a bank of VHF radios for ship to boat and ship to beach communication. They could be tuned to several frequencies that were the same as broadcast TV channels. We often did that just to pipe news or other shows to one of the remote stations. Problem occurred when someone would do maintenance and key the radio still set to the TV freq. There was an FCC field office about 5 miles away and they would actually call the ship and tell us to switch freqs. Yes, within just a few minutes in most cases. Of course, they may have called the ship across the pier as well, but they were accurate withing 100 ft or so.

Back