Identified: Art Bell's "UFO" Aluminum Louvered Sheets - Heat Exchanger Fins

someone’s tenacity finally pays off
I was just trying to cover up the holes in my dollhouse floor.

but what cracks me up, is that TTSA built this fancy expensive company with a lot of bigwig guys who are going to reverse engineer alien space flight technology, and they don't even know what a car radiator looks like. :)

me thinks they have a rather big learning curve to overcome.

but what cracks me up, is that TTSA built this fancy expensive company with a lot of bigwig guys who are going to reverse engineer alien space flight technology, and they don't even know what a car radiator looks like.

I think this speaks to the importance of crowdsourcing. As I wrote here:
https://skepticalinquirer.org/newsletter/curated_crowdsourcing_in_ufo_investigations/

So how could a few people on the Internet possibly figure it out in five days?

The answer, I feel, lies with a fundamental problem with panels of experts, namely that you can’t be an expert in the unknown. The list of scientists and experts from the CEFAA website is indeed impressive. There are all kinds of different disciplines there, and they would certainly be able to identify the majority of things we can see in the sky. But in this one case, the needed expertise was simply too specialized to be included in a general panel.

What was needed was someone who understood how persistent aerodynamic contrails formed, where they normally formed relative to the airport, what they looked like when viewed from eighty miles away, and how to view historical time-stamped ADS-B data overlaid on geolocated photographs in Google Earth.

In other words, they needed me on the panel—not that I’m a real expert in aviation. I just happen to have some very specific knowledge and experience in solving this specific type of case. The issue is not really that they should have had an expert like me on the panel. The point I’m making is that it’s impossible to have all the experts you can potentially need on a panel. Any panel is going to be limited in the amount of domain-specific knowledge it has, so eventually, a UFO will slip through the gaps.
How do you close the gaps in a panel of experts? Clearly you can’t just add more and more people to the panel. No, the way to close the gaps is to do what IPACO eventually did (without intending to). You ask the Internet.

Asking the Internet (also known as “soliciting public comment,” “asking the public for help,” or “consulting the hive mind”) is a way of casting as wide a net as possible. While you might have a few dozen experts on your panel, they only cover a few dozen broad fields of study and a few narrow ones. By asking the Internet you instantly add several million narrow experts.
Content from External Source

the thickness was 0.157 mm (average of 3 measurements) on the edge (i.e. not over slits). The thickness over the slits was 0.304 mm

is this a typo? is it possible the vent height is only .3 mm? would we be able to see .3mm? I ask because the "How it's made" video says the sheet the louvres are made of is only 1.5mm thick. so i'm wondering if art made a typo, or am I. 1 and a half mm is written as 1.5mm right?

is this a typo? is it possible the vent height is only .3 mm? would we be able to see .3mm? I ask because the "How it's made" video says the sheet the louvres are made of is only 1.5mm thick. so i'm wondering if art made a typo, or am I. 1 and a half mm is written as 1.5mm right?

Yes you can see 0.3mm, for reference aluminium foil is generally between 0.015mm and 0.024mm thick.

1.5mm seems a bit on the thick side for radiators, that's about as thick as most of the coins in my pocket. 0.15mm to 0.3mm would probably be the right sort of ballpark for the louvred metal sheets.

1.5 mm sound right for a structural supporting strip, or a tube, but the louvered fin itself is going to be more like 0.15mm. You can probably see the end of similar fins on the outside of your AC.

Back