"Hijack Distress Button" on 757 or 767

USAFMXOfficer

Need some help, I am in argument on another forum with a conspiracy theorist who is asking why the pilots did not have enough time to hit the "hijack distress button" in time. I believe that 757 or 767 at that time had normal transponders, which required the entry of the "7500" code to denote hijacking, not a "hijack button". He keeps pointing to the recent article about a SaudiAirline 777 where a pilot accidentally pressed "the hijack button" - either the article is in error and indeed all aircraft still have transponders, or, modern 777s have a separate hijack button.....can anyone assist?

No button was used, according to this:

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/stor...lls-how-saudia-pilots-sent-false-hijack-alarm

It wasn't a wrong push of a button that sent what turned out to be a false hijacking alarm from Saudi Airlines flight SVA 872 on Tuesday afternoon.

According to Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA) General Manager Ed Monreal, the call had to be placed via analog knobs.

The pilots sent the emergency code 7500, which stood for hijacking.

Monreal said the Manila control tower checked with the pilots, and the answer from the aircraft was "affirmative."

This prompted airport officials to put in place the "necessary" procedures in case of such incidents.

Saudia's pilots and crew have faced questioning conducted by the AVSEGROUP, a another report from GMA News' Jun Veneracion said.

According to the report, the pilots meant to send the "no communication" emergency signal, or code 7600.

However, they entered 7500,
or the one for hijacking, on the transponder.

The emergency call was made because the plane was about to enter the Philippine airspace, but pilots could not reach the Manila control tower for about 28 minutes, it added.

Content from External Source

More:
http://www.ibtimes.ph/air-safety-group-wants-saudia-airlines-flight-sv872-pilot-removed-4089
On Sept. 20, the Manila-bound Saudia plane was placed in total isolation at the secluded portion of NAIA after its pilots mistakenly sent a distress signal 7500 to the Manila control tower. The two pilots intended to send distress signal 7600 for loss of communication but instead pressed on the former which meant there was a hijacking in progress. The plane was reported to carry at least 400 passengers from Mecca.
The same article says:
Air Safety Foundation of the Philippines, Inc. (ASF) called on the removal of the pilot of Saudia Airlines flight SV872 who mistakenly pressed the “hijack button” of the aircraft on Sept. 20. Local authorities are currently looking into possible penalties to charge against the foreign airlines following the hijacking false alarm incident at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA).
So it seems just like the media misunderstanding what a Squawk code is. You don't "press" a 7500 or 7600 button. You dial it in on your alternate transponder, then switch over.

Thank you so much! I thought maybe a "hijack button" was added to modern airliners....I knew transponders are still in use. Great article, thanks!

Thank you so much! I thought maybe a "hijack button" was added to modern airliners....I knew transponders are still in use. Great article, thanks!

People have suggested that airlines might have secretly added a "hijack button". But either they have done it secretly, or they didn't do it. There's no evidence such a button exists.

Back