Four Engines, Flying West over Sacramento

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
at 12:16PM PST (20:16 UTC) looking west from Shingle Springs. Did not show up on FR24 or Planefinder.
20161212-123706-k2wrk.jpg

Interesting visually asymmetric aerodynamic contrail - but I suspect that's just the angle, with a center portion lower than the outer trails.
20161212-124118-75jno.jpg

Very annoyed I did not catch it ten minutes earlier, as it's pretty unusual.

20161212-124343-5kyu3.jpg

I can't figure out what type of plane it is from this. Looks like a T-tail, but seem skinnier than a C-5 or C-17

Last edited:
As a first approximation, the engines "look" a bit out sized vis a viz the fuselage - something I've always associated with re-engined KC-135s.....

Yes, maybe the T-Tail things is a bit of an illusion, if the vertical stabilizer is just lost in the haze due to lighting.
20161212-130023-3f11g.jpg

Pretty sure it's a KC-135R. Maybe E-8 JSTARS, but that's far less likely. No, JSTARS have the old-style narrow jets. You'd probably see the belly fairing at this angle, too.

Last edited:
For some reason my immediate reaction was a B-52 due to the seemingly narrow wing and something about the wingspan to tail ratio, but the more I look the less sure I am.

For some reason my immediate reaction was a B-52 due to the seemingly narrow wing and something about the wingspan to tail ratio, but the more I look the less sure I am.

That was my first impression, particulalrly with this image:

But that's probably a trick of the light or atmospheric distortion, other photos look more conventional.

Back