Alternating hybrid contrails

Trailspotter

Senior Member.
Better late than never. I've just stumble upon an eight month old airliners.net thread describing the most unusual contrail:
The planefinder.net playback suggests the photos were taken at about 18:10 BST (17:10 UTC)
Screen Shot 2016-01-01 at 23.27.26.png

As none of the proposed explanations in the airliners.net discussion sounds convincing, I suggest here a new plausible explanation.

Apart of the gaps, the two dashed trails look very much like a typical pair of hybrid contrails, the parallel linear trails formed by the parts of exhaust contrails entrained into the plane wake vortices. In non-persistent conditions, the hybrid contrails will outlast the ordinary exhaust contrails, but they eventually will break up due to the Crow instability:

The parallel dashed trails occur fairly close to the plane and therefore the gaps in them cannot be attributed to the Crow instability. It is the most likely that the vortices are still intact in the gaps between the dashes, but, for some reason, they did not entrain any exhaust condensation in these segments.

Such gapped hybrid contrails may be specific to the A380 aircraft. It appears that only a portion of its exhaust contrails can be entrained into the wake vortices at a considerable distance behind the aircraft. Depending on atmospheric conditions, it can happen that exhaust contrail is entrained only on one side, like in the following popular video:
In the beginning, there is just one linear trail on the port side, behind fairly symmetrical exhaust contrail, whereas the second trail on the starboard side appears later (from 0:39). As the camera zooms out, we can see a gap in the starboard trail and a segment of weaker density in the port trail, staggered relative the gap:
Screen Shot 2016-01-02 at 12.47.24.png

It is possible that, in the presence of some kind of an atmospheric wave, the entrained portions of exhaust contrail will alternate between the sides, like in the OP images and, in a lesser extent, in the following cockpit video:

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Staff member
I just spotted the same thing happening a few minutes ago. Unfortunately I was on a train and by the time I'd got my phone out the plane was hidden by buildings at a station. By the time it was visible again the most impressive part had dissipated but you can still just about see the effect here:

image.jpeg

I'm pretty sure it was this flight:

image.jpeg

Trailspotter

Senior Member.
I just spotted the same thing happening a few minutes ago. …the most impressive part had dissipated but you can still just about see the effect here:

View attachment 17023
I've noticed gaps in the A380 hybrid contrails quite a few times before. Probably, I still have their photos, but need to dig for them in a pile of used SD cards. Or, better, to start purposefully taking new photos and store them in one place.
Below are the photos taken this morning. The Air France AF66 A380 formed hybrid trails at FL320 with a few pseudo alternating gaps (in the upper right corner of the third photo):

IMG_6908.JPG
IMG_6907.JPG IMG_6910.JPG

In contrast, Emirates UAE17 A380, descending from FL380 half an hour later, formed only short contrails:
IMG_6918.JPG

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Fascinating. I wonder if it's going through a wave pattern at an angle? The vortices are rotating in opposite directions, so if it was perpendicular to the wave then both trails would be equally effected.

But if it were at 45° then alternating up/down air movement would affect the two vortices differently. Something like this, but maybe steeper angle:
20160218-084123-h8544.jpg

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Mick West Explained: Head Of The Army Admits to "Little Green Men" [Covert Russian Agents] Conspiracy Theories 7
Trailspotter Sinusoidal Thin Contrails Explained [Meandering Solitary Hybrid Contrails; the 'Rook' Instability] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 54
deirdre Debunked: Look-up.org.uk's Chemtrail "Missing Link" [hybrid contrails] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 16
JRBids Thin Loops and curves within a contrail [Hybrid contrail, Crow Instability] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 8
Cairenn Claim that modern hybrid wheat is lacking in nutrition--True or bunk? Health and Quackery 29
Jan-61 Crow instability, hybrid contrails, and pendules. Contrails and Chemtrails 34
Trailspotter Hybrid Contrails Separating From Exhaust Contrails Contrails and Chemtrails 19
Mick West Curved and Looped Contrails in SoCal [San Diego Delays] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 1
Mick West Crazy Contrails from LAX Ground Stop Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 1
D Explained: Photo of 747 with Contrails Only on One Side [Fake, April Fool] Contrails and Chemtrails 21
Mick West Infrared Photos of Clouds and Contrails Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 17
Mick West Moonlight Contrails Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 1
Mick West YouTube adds Encyclopedia Britannica article on Contrails to "Chemtrail" Videos Contrails and Chemtrails 18
Mick West Aerodynamic Contrails at 27,000 to 31,000 feet near Sacramento Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 2
Trailblazer Sharp boundary between contrails and clear sky Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 1
Mick West Plane Flies in Front of Super Blue Blood Moon Eclipse Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 1
Clouds Givemethewillies Contrail lobes or mamma? The importance of correct terminology Contrails and Chemtrails 0
cloudspotter How Changing Weather Conditions Make Contrails Show Up Contrails and Chemtrails 9
Trailspotter Contrail cross over Tasmania and spinning contrails over Victoria Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 0
Mick West Explained: Manurewa NZ, 'Extra-terrestrial' Fireball Jumps Up [Contrail, Altitude change] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
Mick West Halifax, NS: Regularly Spaced Gaps in Contrails [Ethiopian Flight 501] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 47
Mick West Some Perspective on Perspective Foreshortening - Contrails and UFOs Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 1
Mick West Explained: Viral Video of 787 Leaving Thick Contrails with Forced Perspective Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 1
Mick West A Plane Flying Across the Face of the Sun, with Contrails [Virgin Flight 353] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
TEEJ Contrails filmed from commercial flight over the Irish Sea - 6th May 2017 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 2
ki_cz Contrails 'breaking up' clouds Contrails and Chemtrails 10
E Can someone tell me what these are? [Grid pattern contrails] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
P Can someone please explain these trails at sunset [Contrails] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 13
Mick West There Are No New Clouds, Just New Latin Classifications Contrails and Chemtrails 2
MikeC BBC: Biofuels 'could limit jet contrails' Contrails and Chemtrails 10
Mick West Spiral Contrails viewed from the International Space Station Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 12
ki_cz Claim: Satellite imagery showing 'sheet' of contrails Contrails and Chemtrails 7
Mick West GOES-16 Satellite Images of Contrails Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 0
Mick West Explained: Contrails Appear "Hot" in Thermal Imaging because the Sky Appears Very Cold Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 4
Mick West Explained: Chilean Navy "UFO" video - Aerodynamic Contrails, Flight IB6830 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 186
Clouds Givemethewillies Why do inner contrails spread more than outer contrails? Contrails and Chemtrails 9
Mick West Contrails Hidden In 1950s and 1960s Family Photos Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 2
Mick West Four Engines, Flying West over Sacramento Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 6
Clouds Givemethewillies Persistent Aerodynamic Contrails From Propellor Tips Contrails and Chemtrails 12
Mick West A Sunlit Contrail Viewed From the Side Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 0
Mick West Close Up Videos of Contrails Forming And Evolving Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 19
Mick West Some "Black" Shadowed Aerodynamic Contrails Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 4
Mick West Relative Humidity at Flight Altitudes. Resources and Contrail prediction. Contrails and Chemtrails 11
Mick West What's the Highest Contrail You've Taken a Photo Of? Contrails and Chemtrails 8
Mick West P900 Plane and Contrails Photos and Video Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 17
Mick West Persistent Aerodynamic Contrail Forming @28,500 on 787 Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 0
steve holmes Problems with Identifying Contrails in FlightRadar24 Contrails and Chemtrails 57
Mick West Why Were There Contrails Today, But Not Yesterday? It's the Weather! Contrails and Chemtrails 21
Mick West How Do You Take Good Photos of High Altitude Planes and Contrails? Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 2
Mick West Debunked: Irrefutable Film Footage Of Climate Engineering Aerosol Spraying [Aerodynamic Contrails] Contrails and Chemtrails 4
Related Articles

Related Articles