Explained: Odd Looking Bidens/Carters Photo - Not Fake, Just Perspective

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
E0gmejTWYAMo406.jpg

This official photo makes the Carters look very small, leading some more imaginative people to suggest it's a fake (without explaining WHY the government would fake such a thing,)

But it's just perspective, I replicated the effect myself.
2021-05-04_11-48-28.jpg

And made a video showing the placement of big me, mini me, and the camera.

deirdre

Senior Member.
i would point out Carter's big ol feet. even though Jill still looks a bit big as she is next to carter. but shes still smaller than Carter's feet.

DavidB66

In the video, Mick puts some emphasis on the use of a wide angle lens, and various news reports also stress this. In the above, however, the stress is put on the effect of perspective, and not the lens. I'm not clear whether the type of lens used actually makes any difference, except in so far as a wide angle lens is necessary to get both pairs in the same picture when photographed in a small room. So I wonder if you would get the same 'big - little' effect if just one pair was photographed from the same distance with a standard lens?

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not clear whether the type of lens used actually makes any difference, except in so far as a wide angle lens is necessary to get both pairs in the same picture when photographed in a small room.
That's something of a semantic difference. I would usually emphasis that it's the distance that creates the exaggerated perspective. But here the reason they have got a photo like this is because they use a wide angle lens. The lens allows them to get close to the subjects, which then gives more perspective exaggeration. But what's "causing" it? "Distance" does not in itself create an image. It's created from the specific configuration of the subject size and position, the camera position, the lens, and the sensor.

Perhaps though it would be better to note they are close to the subjects AND using a wide angle lens.

Amber Robot

As Mick said, a wide angle lens is used to get a large field from up close. A photographer could have stood farther back and zoomed in with a longer lens to get the same field with less distortion.

FatPhil

The picture frames having ambiguous vanishing points, and the chairs having curved bottoms to their upholstry, made me wonder whether there was some post-processing, or in-lens correction, involved. If it was a wide angle lens without correction, those towards the periphery would be squashed, and it's not uncommon to want to stretch them out such that things the viewer would hope to be straight lines - e.g. wall edges - become straight lines again.

Such correction is a 2-a-penny technique now: https://improvephotography.com/34036/correcting-wide-angle-distortion-photoshop/

DavidB66

As Mick said, a wide angle lens is used to get a large field from up close. A photographer could have stood farther back and zoomed in with a longer lens to get the same field with less distortion.
I'm sorry to be a nag on this point, but news sources seem to be running away with the idea that the Biden picture oddity is an artifact of the wide angle lens, and I'm not sure that is correct. It isn't necessary to use a wide angle lens to get a foreshortening effect: see for example the upper left photo on this page, which shows an example of strong foreshortening:
https://mrsseckler.weebly.com/foreshortening.html
There is nothing to suggest that this was taken with a wide angle lens.

It might still be said that you are more likely to get foreshortening with a wide angle lens, but in the Biden case the connection seems to be coincidental. The photo was taken in a small room, which constrained the photo to be taken from a short distance, and the photographer wanted to get all four people in the same photo, which dictated the use of a wide angle lens, given that it had to be taken from a short distance. It is the short distance, not the lens, which is responsible for the foreshortening, unless there is some optical effect that I am unaware of. As I've said on other occasions, I know next to nothing about photography. I do know that a zoom lens tends to make objects in the line of sight appear closer together than they really are, because the zoom makes them appear close to the camera, without giving them the foreshortening that a close viewpoint normally produces. The brain of the observer draws the false inference 'objects close to me, but no foreshortening, therefore objects close together'. If a wide angle lens had the opposite effect - making objects appear further away than they really are - this might produce the contrary illusion. But I don't know if this is the case.

Mendel

Senior Member.
The problem with people's intuition is that we're used to seeing photos taken from a larger distance: in larger halls for public press shootings of politicians, or in a TV studio where walls of the room are missing to allow a larger distance for the camera in a sitcom.

Amber Robot

I'm sorry to be a nag on this point, but news sources seem to be running away with the idea that the Biden picture oddity is an artifact of the wide angle lens, and I'm not sure that is correct. It isn't necessary to use a wide angle lens to get a foreshortening effect: see for example the upper left photo on this page, which shows an example of strong foreshortening:
https://mrsseckler.weebly.com/foreshortening.html
There is nothing to suggest that this was taken with a wide angle lens.

It might still be said that you are more likely to get foreshortening with a wide angle lens, but in the Biden case the connection seems to be coincidental. The photo was taken in a small room, which constrained the photo to be taken from a short distance, and the photographer wanted to get all four people in the same photo, which dictated the use of a wide angle lens, given that it had to be taken from a short distance. It is the short distance, not the lens, which is responsible for the foreshortening, unless there is some optical effect that I am unaware of. As I've said on other occasions, I know next to nothing about photography. I do know that a zoom lens tends to make objects in the line of sight appear closer together than they really are, because the zoom makes them appear close to the camera, without giving them the foreshortening that a close viewpoint normally produces. The brain of the observer draws the false inference 'objects close to me, but no foreshortening, therefore objects close together'. If a wide angle lens had the opposite effect - making objects appear further away than they really are - this might produce the contrary illusion. But I don't know if this is the case.
Yes. A longer lens would also have foreshortening if it were placed close to its object. But in this case it would have had a small field of view so would have been incapable of capturing all four people in a single photograph.

imagine taking a photo of an object one foot deep. If taken from one foot away, then there’d be a lot of foreshortening because the back of the object is twice as far from the camera as the front. If taken from 100 feet away the foreshortening would be gone since the back is only 1% farther than the front. (Think about how things often look “flat” through binoculars.)

But then you’d need different focal length lenses to capture the same field from those two distances.

Last edited:

Ravi

I think it also does not help that clearly the (elderly) lady is not the largest person you will ever meet. And likely also the chairs are not gigantic. This all ads to the effect.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
2021-05-05_11-28-02.jpg

Just a slightly different viewpoint, closer and lower camera. Note my hand is on the chair - I'm essentially in the same position as before.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
How far were you from the camera and what was the focal length of the lens?
In that photo, my head is at about 7 feet (in the chair) and around 3.5 feet (kneeling).

Previous photo/video had the camera about 2 feet further back. Here's the two camera positions
2021-05-05_12-53-06.jpg

The lens is a 10mm Canon EF-S, equivalent to 16mm full frame.

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Mick West Explained: UFO Filmed With Telescope [Loon Balloon] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 2
Mick West Explained: Sky Mapping at the Seattle Space Needle [Virtual, Not "Blue Beam] Conspiracy Theories 0
Patrick Gonzalez Explained: Why Biden is boarding C-32 instead of VC-25 Election 2020 35
TEEJ Explained: Inaguration Photos from Different Angles Show Different Backgrounds. Election 2020 9
P Explained: Exactly 5.55555556% (1/18) of votes for Trump across multiple precincts [Cherry Picked, Expected Ratios] Election 2020 20
DavidB66 Explained: Boris Johnson Photo With Confusing Reflection of Phone Cord Election 2020 12
Mick West Explained: Wingless Tic-Tac UFOs Moving Erratically Behind Trees UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 1
Mick West Explained: 9:33 AM ET Time on NPR Story about Storming the Capitol Election 2020 0
A.G. Explained: Covid-19 research with pre-2020 dates in Google search results Coronavirus COVID-19 4
Mick West Explained: "Disappearing needles" in Covid Vaccinations Coronavirus COVID-19 1
Mick West Explained: 82nd Airborne: "A Storm Is Coming" - Operation Devil Storm Conspiracy Theories 12
Mick West Explained: Fulton County, Georgia, "Suitcases" of Ballots being Scanned Election 2020 1
Z.W. Wolf Explained: Red Mirages, Blue Shifts, and Data Dumps in the 2020 Election Election 2020 21
Mick West Explained: Trump's Claim of Suspicious Early Morning Michigan Bump [It's Detroit] Election 2020 1
Mick West Explained: New Navy UFO Videos UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 79
Eleora Explained: "Quantum Dots" - Storing medical information below the skin’s surface Coronavirus COVID-19 13
Cassi O Polaris Height Perspective Explained (No math required) Flat Earth 1
Mick West Explained: RARE Video Footage of "Alien Space Craft" WATCHING ISS Astronaut! UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 1
A Explained: astronaut's movement causes lunar flag to wave in Apollo 15 footage Conspiracy Theories 0
Mick West Explained: The "Many Faces" of Patrick Crusius, the El Paso Shooter Conspiracy Theories 22
Mick West Explained: "Beam of Light" in To The Stars Academy header images UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 0
Mick West Explained: "UFOS" in Donald Trump's Crowd Photo on 4th of July UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 3
D Explained: Photo of 747 with Contrails Only on One Side [Fake, April Fool] Contrails and Chemtrails 21
Qulaey Explained: 17.61 Mile Mirror Flash Supposedly Proves Flat Earth [Refraction] Flat Earth 5
Mick West Explained: The Navy's New "UFO" Reporting Guidelines UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 32
Mick West Explained: "It's photoshopped because it has to be" Flat Earth 3
Mick West Explained: Jet Chasing UFO: X-45A and F/A-18B Formation Flight Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 6
Trailblazer Explained: video of concentric circular "chemtrails" (E-3 Sentry AWACS plane, Feb 1 2019) Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 3
Rory Explained: How Mount Rainier helps demonstrate the shape of the globe Flat Earth 38
creatonez Explained: Why the Earth does not look oblate in photos from space Flat Earth 0
MikeG Explained: EU Army Deployed to Paris Conspiracy Theories 1
Mick West Explained: Unexplained Green Light During Thunderstorm [Water on Lens, Caustics] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
Mick West Explained: Flashes of Light During the World Trade Center Collapse 9/11 5
Mick West Explained: House "Cut in Half", Tubbs Fire, Santa Rosa, Coffey Park Wildfires 0
Mick West Explained: Burnt Cars on California Beach [TV Set] Wildfires 1
Mick West Explained: Unknown Brewing Company UFO UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 0
Mick West Explained: Why Kavanaugh's Calendar PDF looks Edited [OCR] Current Events 0
Mick West Explained: Mysterious Red Planet Like Object Filmed Next To The Moon. Atglen [Reflection] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 0
Mick West Explained: Podesta 14 + Fish [Promotional Tweet for UN Global Sustainability Goals] Conspiracy Theories 7
Mick West Explained: Dark Streak UFO Photo - Barn Swallow + Motion Blur UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 0
Mick West Explained: DEW Energy Beam Starting Forest Fires - Dirty Lens, Light Streak Conspiracy Theories 13
Mick West Explained: A Dozen Or More Southern Valley UFOs UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 0
Mick West Explained: Floating Triangle UFO in Buenos Aires Google Maps [Bridge] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 0
Rory Explained: Space Shuttle Footage Reflection of Face [Shot Through Window] Conspiracy Theories 5
Mick West Explained: Washington State Island "Mystery missile" - Helicopter Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 49
Andrew Gillett Explained: Squares in the sky? [Reflection of lights in a window] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 18
Mick West Explained: Mysterious lights over Milwaukee [Seagulls, Night Exposure Trails] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 27
Mick West Explained: Why Some Marjory Stoneman Douglas Shooting Google Search Results Predate the Event Conspiracy Theories 1
Priyadi Explained: Why We Don't See Satellites in Photos Taken From The ISS Flat Earth 1
Trailblazer Explained: Vatican "chemtrail spraying" coin [part of set depicting Pope's travels] Contrails and Chemtrails 4
Related Articles

Related Articles