Explained: HomeSteadHow "UFO" Photos [Helicopter]

It feels like there are images missing. Where are the images that would show it moving into and out of the frame? It just appears out of nowhere. Where are the images before and after the fall off the table? I think this guy is hiding information. I understand him not wanting to release the originals. His camera may embed exif data that would reveal his precise location. He should be able to tell us more about his camera and configuration. He should be willing to test the hypothesis that it was a helicopter and go out in the field and take a bunch of measurements of helicopters at night under a variety of exposure times. That he doesn't want to smells like he wants the opportunity for his image to be on a UFO show for some notoriety.

It feels like there are images missing. Where are the images that would show it moving into and out of the frame? It just appears out of nowhere. Where are the images before and after the fall off the table? I think this guy is hiding information. I understand him not wanting to release the originals. His camera may embed exif data that would reveal his precise location. He should be able to tell us more about his camera and configuration. He should be willing to test the hypothesis that it was a helicopter and go out in the field and take a bunch of measurements of helicopters at night under a variety of exposure times. That he doesn't want to smells like he wants the opportunity for his image to be on a UFO show for some notoriety.

Looks like they were doing a timelapse, so whether they were behind the camera is uncertain.. it seems implied they were but to me it looks like it's from an automated timelapse because the helicopter is not center frame.

He's already sold/given the images to that bastion of scientific integrity the Discovery channel. Since then not a squeak. Maybe we'll see these photos on the next UFO 'documentary.'

Also I'm sure the mystery is helping his YouTube monetisation.

Looks like they were doing a timelapse, so whether they were behind the camera is uncertain.. it seems implied they were but to me it looks like it's from an automated timelapse because the helicopter is not center frame.

He's already sold/given the images to that bastion of scientific integrity the Discovery channel. Since then not a squeak. Maybe we'll see these photos on the next UFO 'documentary.'

Also I'm sure the mystery is helping his YouTube monetisation.
He waffled a little bit on being behind the camera. He went into the video by saying how he sets his camera out over night regularly to get pictures. This time it was the Milky Way. If he wanted a good shot of the Milky Way then he would want to have a long enough exposure to capture it nicely. I think it was a set it and forget it until the next day scenario. That is supported by his comment that the camera was knocked over. If he didn't know it was knocked over until morning, then he probably wasn't behind the camera when it happened. Otherwise he would have immediately taken his camera inside to study the pictures.

However, he said that it was too cloudy to see the Milky Way so he decided to do a time lapse of the house. If he wanted a time lapse of his house, I really doubt he'd leave his camera out all night. And that contradicts what he said about the camera being knocked over in the morning. There are a lot of red flags here. I think he staged the whole thing. I think he probably see's helicopters regularly in his area and figured he have a go with believers. They would swallow that bait w/o thinking.

Last edited:
I think he probably see's helicopters regularly in his area and figured he have a go with believers. They would swallow that bait w/o thinking.
Etc. That's a lot of speculation about motives in a couple of posts. Not sure how helpful that is. I'm also not sure what the value of discussing possible monetization of a YouTube channel. If Z'Orgnax from Delta Pavonis 4 landed in my backyard and posed for pictures, I'd probably want to monetize my good fortune there, especially if it was real.

I fine-tuned the position a little bit more using the small N-S road south of the lake as guidance, since the relevant bit of the helicopter's path is essentially its northern continuation.
This then is the Google Earth view from the porch of the building I suspected, overlaid with the video thumbnail. Time in GE is Jun 13, 10:22 pm local / Jun 14, 03:22 am UTC. The red line across the sky is the helicopter's path as I laid it out in GE at an altitude of 2,600 ft AMSL, the small vertical line the 318° line from the observer's position (downrange distance to intersect is 1,230 metres).

a.gif

semi-transparent static version
b.jpg

EDIT: The first image was supposed to be a fancy animation. Guess not then! Imagine the bottom pic's thumbnail popping in and out ad nauseam.

Last edited:
Imagine the bottom pic's
Doing the slider so peopel can see easier the stars lining up

Thanks, I totally forgot that was a thing. This is much better than my animation.

As the photo spans a large portion of the sky (the horizontal FOV seems to be about 80°) it would be quite complicated to align the entire image perfectly because you'd need to undo any abberations and distortions caused by the lens and also transform it slightly so as to fit with the projection in GE. A simple rotate and resize job is good enough over shorter distances though so I concentrated on aligning the stars in the important central part near the object at the expense of some misalignment towards the edges, where it's purely cosmetic as far as the object in question is concerned. It's most noticeable at the left edge.

...I am now wondering if this vid is not an LED shower head after all, but simply FX fakery based on animating elements from original stills of a long exposure helicopter.
I think its a full CG creation, rather than just animating some elements from an existing photo. It came out years later, but is most likely inspired by the 2010 Chinese airport UFO reports which usually came with those photos which were also just long-exposure shots of a helicopter with spotlight. No surprise Secureteam10 featured it.

https://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2010-07/10/content_10089831.htm

Here's another particularly eye-catching example.

Indeed! Post this on Reddit and you will gain 3985686 karma points, easily. Just don't reveal it is a helicopter, but a sophisticated alien made, mile long super structure, zipping around.

So it seems that these photos will be featured on a Discovery TV show in September, where I am sure they will dedicate some time to showing us how these photos are a long exposure of a medical helicopter.

1629623810934.png
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHXjZagCrWdnkkx1rlpuqVg
Oddly they did not seem to agree with my view on the comparative analysis, they also declined to comment on me asking them if they were paid for the photos and if they were under a contract not to share them with anyone else.

Might be nice to have a YT video up with the helicopter explanation pre-emptively. If Mick and original analysts were willing (no-one ever reads these threads from what I can tell)

@Mick West

Last edited:
Like the Utah drone UFO (probably just fluff), once they smell media interest you can guarantee it'll turn up on at least one, probably many, crappy UFO shows where no real analysis is done and instead they just play dramatic music and pretend like its a complete mystery.

Back