Dylan Avery - Director of the 9/11 Conspiracy Film "Loose Change"

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Dylan Avery's Loose Change is responsible for a lot of people ending up in the 9/11 Truth movement, but now his position on the topic has matured quite a bit.

https://theoutline.com/post/2179/reflecting-on-loose-change-in-the-age-of-fake-news

Before when you said you believed in 9/11 Truth, it meant the original investigation was shoddy, but you weren’t a nutjob. Now, as soon as something happens, people say it’s a false flag. To see what’s happened with Alex Jones — he just said something about Charlottesville and actors, or whatever the hell? I don’t know, man. Everything is just so goddamned weird right now. This is what I know: That September 11 was “welcome to the real world,” for me. My best friend was overseas fighting this war that was a direct consequence of this event, and that’s one of the main things that drove me during those years. If I could somehow raise awareness that this event was fraudulent or faulty, maybe my friend could get home quicker. But I don’t want to be the guy that everybody calls whenever there’s a massive event, I don’t want to be the guy who’s always talking conspiracies.

It feels in a way like 9/11 broke something.

That’s the point, man. Nevermind any bullshit about conspiracy theories or how the buildings came down, something broke that day. That’s what drove the [Truther] Movement, at least for me initially. It was like, look, something really bad just happened, and we may not all agree how we got to this point, and how things happened that day. But we can all agree something messed up happened, and we need to recognize it, figure out how and why, and make sure it never happens again.
Content from External Source

Loose change was my ticket into conspiracies.

I already knew about jfk, the moon landing, illuminati, area 51 and such, but mainly through role-playing games. Before the internet there wasn't really this conspiracy community, but RPG nerds liked to fantasize about all kinds of stuff..

For me it's mostly a hobby though, I like to see all the crazy stuff people can imagine.

But I also share Dylan Avery's view.. Something just seemed fishy with 9/11..I didn't really believe all the crazy stuff, it was just odd.

But what I think happened was, 9/11 was the first really global event in the internet age and loose change dropped right around MySpace and the beginning of social media and mainstream online community building..

So it was the first time everybody got to play armchair detective and it was at the right moment to build a community for it.

Today all the armchair detectives are in the comment section of clickbait breaking news articles.. It's not just conspiracy believers.. Everyone does it.. But for most people in this age, the news is presented in a pop drama way, so they click on to the next thing and don't really care about the individual case.

So in a sense I think 9/11 created 2 monsters. The internet armchair detectives who then created the mainstream conspiracy community through Loose Change.

But if that event and movie hadn't done it, something else would.

Last edited:
Another Dylan Avery interview:
http://www.vocativ.com/usa/us-politics/rapid-rise-fall-dylan-avery/

Avery was tired and beginning to grow wary of both the Truth Movement and his place in it. “There were anti-Semites saying the Israeli intelligence agency pulled off 9/11,” he says. “They wanted me to put that stuff in my films.” In a bizarre twist, some in the movement accused him of working for the government, conducting a disinformation campaign to discredit Truthers. Others, who disagreed with his ideas, berated him on a popular blog called Screw Loose Change, where commenters regularly said things like, “Jeez, fucking Hitler must be proud of Dylan.” And in different forums, strangers fantasized about his demise. “There were YouTube videos dedicated to killing me,” he recalls. “One said, ‘Dylan Avery dies in a plane crash,’ and it was just stock footage of a plane crashing. You see enough of that, and it really starts to wear on you.”

Avery made his last Loose Change film in 2009, in a last-ditch effort to rectify Final Cut. “I didn’t want that to be the final word,” he says. “I felt like I’d whimpered away with my tail between my legs.” At a cost of $12,000, the last version, American Coup, retains the scrappy spirit of the second edition but with a professional panache—it’s narrated by the actor Daniel Sunjata, whose voice has an authority that Avery’s lacks. It’s also a more diplomatic film. “People aren’t meant to walk away thinking ‘inside job,’” Avery says, “but rather that 9/11 was a terrible tragedy that deserved a proper investigation, not the one we got.”

In a stroke of good luck, Netflix picked up American Coup, but that was of little consolation to Avery, who was done with the Truth Movement and “being the 9/11 guy.” He retreated to San Diego with his pit bull, Gordo.

And though questions still linger about 9/11, such as why, on Sept. 6, 2001, the daily average for put-options on United Airlines stock quadrupled, he no longer tortures himself with speculation. “In my truly angry times, in 2005 or 2006, if you asked if the Bush administration planned the attacks, I would have said, ‘Fuck yeah’.”

But now?

“I don’t think Bush could plan a bowl of cereal,” he says.
Content from External Source

Back