Debunked: Apollo 16 Lunar Rover Fake Footage?

cybe

This is another deceptive video that again gives claims and even appears to be scientifically analyzed (the red lines). The spooky music also helps with the conditioning.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oIzBUMVT7o

1690905858729.png1690905884846.png
1690905899176.png1690905917664.png

Is that really true? A wall?

Here's my analysis:

I took a screenshot of the rock at roughly 1:19 another one at a later camera position at 1:21 when the rock was on the far left of the screen

I then aligned the two images on top of each other and compared them.

http://303.fi/fooz/moonx04.mp4

+mp4 file attached. (Is it possible to embed it? embed a GIF?)

We can clearly see that there is in fact perspective shift, contrary to what the video claims.

Because of perspective there appears less of the perspective shift further away than closer by, of course.

Another way the video is deceptive is that they have even made a 3D representation of what they claim the wall would look like. All that work yet they didn't check if their claim is even true, which is much easier than that 3D work. Hmm.

Attachments

• moonx04.mp4
    2.3 MB
Last edited:
This is another deceptive video that again gives claims and even appears to be scientifically analyzed (the red lines). The spooky music also helps with the conditioning.
where is the original video with claims you are analyzing?

I think the observed differences in perspective shift can be adequately explained by the fact we don't know the distance between the large rock and the medium-sized one in the foreground. Their "red line", I think, denotes a break in slope that isn't very obvious around the rocks, but can clearly be seen on the left side of the picture. I believe part of the distance between them is hidden from view by the foreground, or perhaps greatly foreshortened.

My "red line":
IMG_2112.jpeg

And keep in mind that much our distance perception on Earth is determined by atmospheric effects, which don’t exist on the Moon.

You may notice this if you live near mountains and you get a very clear day (low aerosol content) and all of a sudden the mountains look bigger and/or closer to your mind.

Absent these effects it will be difficult to judge distances. And, as Ann K points out, the uneven terrain doesn’t help, so trying to draw perspective lines across a surface that is unlikely to be flat can lead to poor conclusions.

The claims are demonstrably false. The video claims that this large rock is part of the painted backdrop. And yet the rocks behind it clearly shift with parallax.

1690911746679.png

Another fail - I am pretty sure you can see the curved rover tracks on the supposed painted backdrop here.

1690912657578.png

I am pretty sure this footage has been cherrypicked to avoid showing parallax shifts - there are lots of jump cuts. A search through the full 16mm footage should provide some even clearer debunks of this video.

Back