Debate Challenge from Madisonstar Moon to Mick West

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Perhaps off topic, but I've always thought that "debunker" is a very negative-sounding word. Yes, I get that it means "removing bunk", and that bunk is a bad thing, but the word itself doesn't sound helpful. Mythbuster is a better one, but that has been taken...

I think that initially the word can be a problem, but it's also an opportunity to explain what you are about. "Mythbuster" really suggests even more prejudging.

NoParty

Senior Member.
Perhaps off topic, but I've always thought that "debunker" is a very negative-sounding word. Yes, I get that it means "removing bunk", and that bunk is a bad thing, but the word itself doesn't sound helpful. Mythbuster is a better one, but that has been taken...
Personally, I haven't used the term since the '80s when the army employed me to help dismantle
some shoddily constructed bunkers in Alabama (“...not intended to be a factual statement...”)

But I was reminded of the wonderful origin of the term when--in honor of Tuesday's election--I re-watched
the classic Daily Show bit (http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/dxhtvk/suppressing-the-vote) about voter ID...
with the legendary Don Yelton from Buncombe County, North Carolina...the place so silly that
(buncombe = bunkum =) "bunk" is it's gift to the world.

Hama Neggs

Senior Member.

I think about any term we use will become tainted by the association people make with others challenging their claims. Even "skeptic" has taken on negative connotations.

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
C CAJeffO's chemtrail debate challenge Contrails and Chemtrails 45
Jay Reynolds Debate challenge for John Hammell of IAHF Contrails and Chemtrails 4
TWCobra Chemtrail debate challenge. Contrails and Chemtrails 5
Graham2001 Socrates - “When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." Quotes Debunked 5
wonderland78 Help with a debate about curvature and distance calculations Flat Earth 30
Mick West Debunked: FBI Data Reveal 7,700 Terrorist Encounters in US General Discussion 6
Van Wigington Debate Mentioned in this radio segment, Geoengineering Watch Global Alert News, January 30, 2016 Contrails and Chemtrails 16
Pete Tar Fullerton/Novella 9-11 debate Practical Debunking 0
Mick West Jim Babb & Kristen Meghan - Chemtrails Debate at Porcfest Contrails and Chemtrails 55
FreiZeitGeist Debate between Pilot Steven Kneussle and Mark McCandish on "The Truth denied" Contrails and Chemtrails 3
Mick West Wigington/West Geoengineering Debate West/Wigington Geoengineering Debate 233
Charlie Primero C-SPAN Conspiracy Debate - Webster Tarpley vs. Jonathan Kay General Discussion 1
tryblinking Reasoned, open, factual debate about 'chemtrails'...? Is it possible? Contrails and Chemtrails 152
T Claim: Jim Hoffman's "9/11 progressive collapse challenge" can't be met 9/11 353
Rory Explained: Space Shuttle Footage Reflection of Face [Shot Through Window] Conspiracy Theories 5
Gamolon Does Mick West's WTC model meet the Heiwa Challenge? 9/11 25
Svartbjørn The Challenge with Peer Review General Discussion 4
TWCobra Skyderalert Whistleblower challenge Contrails and Chemtrails 54
Truthnow A challenge to you to discuss this openly Contrails and Chemtrails 62
Critical Thinker Role reversal challenge: Disprove we are not "in the Matrix" Practical Debunking 43
Hama Neggs Challenge from Dane Wigington General Discussion 71
I Chemtrail Challenge! Prize offered! Contrails and Chemtrails 7
Mick West A Challenge to Chemtrail Believers - Explain this 1969 Issue of Popular Science Contrails and Chemtrails 8
FreiZeitGeist New Blog: The Chemtrails Challenge Contrails and Chemtrails 3
TWCobra Madisonstar Moon posts 59 year old photo of B47's contrailing. Contrails and Chemtrails 0
TWCobra Very good question asked by Madison Star Moon Contrails and Chemtrails 27
Hama Neggs Mike Glynn debates Peter Kusznir with Madisonstar Moon Contrails and Chemtrails 22
Related Articles

Related Articles