Bugs and Suggestions for Metabunk.org

I'm getting that problem where a few read threads are still in bold looking like they're unread. I've noticed it only seems to happen with threads where the last poster is some bloke called Mick West. The Ghost Balloon thread is one example

I'm getting that problem where a few read threads are still in bold looking like they're unread. I've noticed it only seems to happen with threads where the last poster is some bloke called Mick West. The Ghost Balloon thread is one example
i'm ok in IE. and Chrome. Windows 7.
is it still happening @cloudspotter ?

I have the same bug on my laptop and iPhone, both running Safari. I reported it more than year ago, somewhere at page 8 of this thread. @Mick West said it is Xenoforo bug.

I don't know why it happens. However you can flush it out by doing "Mark Forum Read" from within the forum that's showing the problem.

20161025-074647-swbn8.jpg

Then you can do that forum, or all of them.

20161025-074336-h37gy.jpg

(Which I just did for you, so it will be clear now)

I get "server error" on any forum page when I'm logged in on an Android tablet.
If I'm not logged in or use a desktop, there is no error.

Yes, it's new. But now as I think about it, it may be related to Chrome beta which I recently installed?

Entirely possible. Seems to be something to do with an add-on I have that logs user-agents, which would be affected by a new browser, or possibly a bug in the browser. I'll scan the logs.

Since I moved and changed to Comcast, my internet reception in general has been worse, with a lot of short duration crashes or pauses. Metabunk in particular seems harder than other sites to navigate in, and more likely to freeze up. Is there anything that I can do other than change service?

Since I moved and changed to Comcast, my internet reception in general has been worse, with a lot of short duration crashes or pauses. Metabunk in particular seems harder than other sites to navigate in, and more likely to freeze up. Is there anything that I can do other than change service?
what are your download speeds? what browser are you using?
I have horrible speeds and usually MB is fine even when im running Netflix and playing a flash heavy game. When I do bog up I run my cleaners and reboot. If still slow (server side) I turn off all background programs/extentions I don't really need running and don't open any other tabs besides MB etc.

Back in the day with dial up, you can turn off your graphics (prevent graphics from downloading) but this doesn't sound like something you want to live with.
oo.JPG

add: ps my mom has Comcast the biggest package and my stuff works way worse at her house. she had the techs come in and everything. she even got the boosters which did help a bit. but still I'm (my own laptop ) laggier at her house than here. we can't figure out why.
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Your-Wireless-Internet-Connection-Faster-(Comcast)

Last edited:
I am paying for a 15 Mbps connection via Shaw cable in Canada, which shares many infrastructure set ups that Comcast uses. I have no issues with MB. Speedtest indicates that right now i am gett 15.99 Mbps download.

Done!
[TEX] c=\sqrt{a^2+b^2} [/TEX]

LaTeX:
\[ e=mc^2 \]

The tex/latex feature seems to be working only for very simple expressions, but even then randomly only.
see
LaTeX:
\[x\]
LaTeX:
\[x=\]
LaTeX:
\[x=x\]
LaTeX:
\[x_0=x\]
[tex]x[/tex]
[tex]x=[/tex]
[tex]x=ysa[/tex]
[tex]x_0=x[/tex]
[tex]E=mc^2[/tex]

can't see what I do wrong.

um i have been using this link http://news.metabunk.org/ for news as it did open pages of multiple sources but as of late it seems not to work to well,, some pages dont load up is it nqr or can it be tweaked

Over the last year most news sites have disabled embedding in frames, so you need to add an extension to your browser to disable the x-frame headers. I use this one:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ignore-x-frame-headers/gleekbfjekiniecknbkamfmkohkpodhe

Fixed!
Metabunk 2018-02-28 06-47-47.jpg

404 Not Found

ah not with my skills,,, can you links the patch you made or do best to show how i add it to address i tried a few guess attempts but no joy

404 Not Found

ah not with my skills,,, can you links the patch you made or do best to show how i add it to address i tried a few guess attempts but no joy
What browser do you use? All I did was add that addon to Chrome. I don't really know about other browsers, but there should be something similar.

What browser do you use? All I did was add that addon to Chrome. I don't really know about other browsers, but there should be something similar.

Browser? um i dont know i did try to add on the string and the page said was Compatible with your device... gimmi a mo Ill get back do my best to learn the how to do later as off to work now

ah ha had to press the add to chrome button top right Doh i was cutting & pasting script to address line all fixed much thanks

I stay logged in to Metabunk all time on my laptop and automatically log in back when I restart the computer or browser.
However, a new link at the end of a closed thread:
https://metabunk.org/threads/final-report-hulsey-ae911truths-wtc7-study.11169/
opens a new tab in the same Safari window, in which I have to log in again to reply.
Why is this?

PS If I open other Metabunk pages in a new tab, I am automatically logged in.

Last edited:
I stay logged in to Metabunk all time on my laptop and automatically log in back when I restart the computer or browser.
However, a new link at the end of a closed thread:
https://metabunk.org/threads/final-report-hulsey-ae911truths-wtc7-study.11169/
opens a new tab in the same Safari window, in which I have to log in again to reply.
Why is this?
Your login cookie is set for www.metabunk.org and not metabunk.org, so your browser doesn't know to send it. Same site, different hostname = new login

Agent K's post https://www.metabunk.org/threads/coronavirus-statistics-cases-mortality-vs-flu.11154/post-238879 did not make it onto my "latest activity" list. I did get an alert that indicates he had quoted me before he edited that post.

I've seen posts before that "latest activity" did not seem to track, but I always assumed this was because of moderation releasing those late; but Agent K is a regular poster, so I doubt that's the cause.
image.jpeg
The post was made 2:18am, last edited 2:30am in my time zone.

Last edited:
I've seen posts before that "latest activity" did not seem to track, but I always assumed this was because of moderation releasing those late; but Agent K is a regular poster, so I doubt that's the cause.

There is a setting members can chose ..that disables seeing them in the feed. It's not fixable at this time.. I already 'complained'.
That's why i liked his post about the navy ufo video released... was afraid noone would even know he posted it.

Suggestion: the face that's used for 'funny':

1626713717082.png

seems a bit much for me - seems too much like 'laughing at' rather than 'with'.

How about one like this instead?

1626713792216.png

How about one like this instead?

too american minstrel. i think it would offend some people.

i think anything will continue to be used to mock people. (i didnt think you wre laughing at my fear of my cousins ;) )
this one seems pretty neutral, but when xenoforo updates, wouldnt they all go back to the default ones?

1626715115637.png

Suggestion: Election 2020 is top of the forums list but it's kind of passed now.

Maybe move down or add as a sub-forum of General Discussion/Current Events/Conspiracy Theories?

Bug: Image scaling in replies

In https://www.metabunk.org/threads/russia-and-ukraine-current-events.12289/post-271506
The images in my reply are not scaled to fit the panel, but in the post I'm responding to they are. I think the two should have the same behaviour (and find scaled preferable).

Mendel's HTML and my HTML for the <table> that contains the images are *identical*, so it doesn't seem to be a problem with what's generated, so I guess it's a CSS selector issue where we differ. I can sniff more...

Back