Welcome Thread - New Members Post Here

Hi all, came here because Metabunk seems to be at the top of every result for any conspiracy related search, so I thought I'd check it out. So far here are my positions coming into this site before any debunking:

• JFK: There was a conspiracy, most likely CIA who were mad over Bay of Pigs fiasco and also murdered RFK when it seemed possible he might win, [opinion of murders removed to prevent off-topic discussion in this thread]
  • David Icke: Nothing he says is even remotely believable, don't toss me in with that lot.
  • Alex Jones: Is primarily motivated by personal gain, does not truly believe the vast majority of what he spouts but like any decent confidence man mixes in a careful measure of truth.
  • Chemtrails: No, I can't even ... [impolite description of chemtrail believers removed]
  • 9/11: Was an inside job, but not holograms, nano-thermite, tactical nukes, or dare I say directed energy rays. Just a good old fashioned false flag to cause a stir in the hearts of fervent patriots in waiting. Kinda like Gulf of Tonkin, sinking of the Lusitania, Operation Northwoods, Reichstag Fire, Japanese Manchurian railway bombing, you know, along those lines. Cui bono.
  • Sandy Hook: Dunno, it seems really fake to me, but its a gut feeling, my bullshit sensor is ringing seven bells, there are many anomalies, but if I had to pick one as a summary point I would say [bunk claim of "0% injury rate" removed to prevent off-topic discussion in this thread]

Well, enough about me, don't even know why I am doing this, it seems nobody has their needle moved any which way from discussing these things, either you believe or you don't. Millions of years of evolution has conditioned us to trust our own minds over those of fellow men, and possibly rightly so.

-

I was going to apologize to Deidre because I thought I offended her with one of my tongue in cheek remarks because I got an email saying my account is limited and to check the politeness policy. But it says don't reply by email, it says to reply in the forums. So Deidre, I apologize, I'm a little cheeky but don't intend any malice, its difficult to convey tone in the written word, and anything I said wasn't intended to offend anyone. I'll be more mindful in the future.

Hi All - Found my way here from the excellent thread regarding the Oroville Spillway and Dam. Always nice to find a place where people make an effort to share good data and analysis. I don't have any real technical expertise to share. Thanks for having me.

Hello!
I followed a link here in an Oroville Dam spillway failure thread on another forum. My back yard abuts the lake, and as a retired engineer I found the thoughtful reasoning and in depth information presented here at Metabunk an island of calm in a sea of panic and hype. I look forward to furthering the Metabunk cause...

Roy Spencer mentioned this forum on his blog so I joined, hello everyone. Don't panic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joined because I am reading the coverage of the Oroville dam with fascination. I live in Colorado where the main natural disaster is wildland fire. We've had a good view from our house of the two most costly wildland fires in Colorado history. We've evacuated our horses three times due to fire, and took in a friend's horses during another wildland fire.

Hi everyone. I joined because this forum was mentioned in a discussion about the Oroville Dam. I was impressed with the civility and decided to join!

Hi everyone. I come from a bit of a scientific background, mostly in the biological sciences (B.S. and M.S. in entomology with subsequent classes to become certified as a science teacher in secondary education), but my career path took a turn toward soils engineering (I'm not an engineer, but a pretty fair field tech). I ended up here after being totally shocked at all the nonsense showing up in post after post on YouTube about the Oroville Dam incident. After that experience, how amazing it was to suddenly stumble upon a site where all those discussing the topic are polite and do their best to use whatever commonsense they have.

On that note, I get kind of riled by the kinds of so-called logic I see among our country's infinite variety of conspiracy mongers. Have we humans always been this silly, or did the internet magnify the problem? Just the other day I ended up having to listen to someone "explain" the "proof" that the September 11 attacks were the work of our own government. It didn't do much good for me to point out that in a building that's heavily populated 24 hours a day, many weeks worth of tearing up the interior walls to install thousands of pounds of explosives surely would have been questioned by someone, but when the guy said "if jet fuel burned hot enough that it could soften steel, you wouldn't be able to burn gas in your car", so I answered, "but how long will your car's engine stay intact if you run it without coolant?" (He admitted that he'd never considered that.)

Oh, one other thing. I ran across the term "geoengineering" on one of the YouTube discussions about the Oroville dam. Well now, I would have thought that was just a slight variation on "geo-technical engineering" which is what I do for a living. Gosh no. What it actually is, is, well, ludicrous! Of course, you folks already know that, but the idea was new to me.

So, I'm looking forward to perusing the site, and maybe seeing some commonsense debunking of a variety of crazy ideas that would otherwise make me nuts. Maybe I'll even have something to contribute. I've contributed on the Oroville discussion just because I have quite a bit of experience with how soils work, but we'll see about the rest.

Hello!

Another Oroville Dam thread follower, and wondering why they don't demo exposed portions of the emergency spill way, establishing a new maximum reservoir level and reducing chances of a sudden catastrophic release.

And remember, all that you may read in and about the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, CA, is not true.

Hi all, I ended up here due to Oroville Dam Emergency, found the discussion rational and refreshing. Professional geologist and environmental planner. Cheers!

Just joined after reading the past few days. Wish I would have found this forum a long time ago. Will read far more than I post but please keep up the great discussion and the mission.

ie I joined instantly after reading the "about" section.

Hello, All

I recently graduated with my BS in Clinical Psychology and am currently seeking the 'next step', if you will! I was led here in my research of incorporating the mind and science together as we grow in society. I am looking forward to unearthing more truths!

Best!

I joined this site after finding it on a Google search for the latest Oroville Dam information. The discussion looks to be reasonable and careful. I spent my career as an Engineering Geologist and Geotechnical Designer and gained much experience with soil and rock for foundations, landslides, and rockfall. Being retired now, I get to go fishing as much as I want, travel, and watch the grandkids grow.

Hi,

Joining this site since I've found myself mired in various conspiracy discussions, and found this to be a breath of fresh air.

I have a heavy hard science background, and currently work in the area of investigating/preventing Internet fraud and abuse. Have a special hate on for fraudsters of the quack variety.

Hi everybody! I work in Germany, having to deal with strong beliefs in conxpiracy theories and suchlike among my students all the time. Hope to find assistance with debunking here, and, of course, will contribute as often as possible. I found this via a Centre for Inquiry post.

Hi, Mick. I'm Ann. Your posts on Sandy Hook were incredible. I was kind of doubtful, but you've really convinced me. Thanks. :D

New member - definitely a "lay person." Notwithstanding relatively little formal technical training, I spent a couple of decades working in the public sector on technology policy - so have digested a very large number of research papers/proposals/journals over the years. Happy to find a site that focuses on the data and data-based analysis, rather than emotionalism/fear. I'll likely lurk and read, and rarely post. But keep up the good analysis! Thanks!

Hi,
My name is Mark.

During a search online I arrived on this site and so impressed with the debunking that I would throw in a penny or two.

Personally I am a Management Accountant with a love of Hydroelectromagnetic propulsion.

Management accountants add value by supporting and driving the right decisions in all areas of business. They help colleagues understand income and costs, risks and opportunities. Management accountants focus on an organisation’s future prospects as well as past performance and current financial status. Financial accountants must follow legal procedure for Financial Statements, whereas Management accountants set that legal foundation, globally.

Hello.

I'm here for the Oroville discussions, over which I've poured several hours over the last few days. I'm a retired professional land surveyor (measuring and mapping) with a long association with stormwater management, watersheds, ravine erosion, and the like; including a deep interest in meteorology and weather. I was involved with GIS in its infancy, but have not been actively keeping up.

This site has been "best of net" for this current event. Huge gratitudes to Mick and other knowledgeable contributors.

Hi everyone. I found this forum through reddit when searching for reliable and non-sensational information about the Oroville Dam spillway. I haven't really gone through the rest of the threads yet, but from a first glance they seem really insightful.

A little about me: I'm a mechanical engineer by education and currently work in aerospace with emphasis in rockets and launch vehicles.

Thanks, everyone, for the fascinating and informative discussion. I'm new here. Most of what I might post would be speculative, but I'll keep it to a minimum.

Thanks, everyone, for the fascinating and informative discussion. I'm new here. Most of what I might post would be speculative, but I'll keep it to a minimum.
Hi. Welcome to Metabunk. Just be sure if you are being speculative to make that clear in your posts. Thanks. "Statements of fact" need source links/ data links to back it up.

Came to post some visual analysis to debunk the "separate-therefore-safe" proposition re: Oroville Dam Spillway incident. Been tweeting @MrsKrishan since 2/12 on ad hoc basis with my critical eye as a technical writer with two decades experience in hi-tech analytical chemistry and computing industry (think Shuttle o-rings level of detail, or FDA GLP ISO9000 quality-control level nit-picker. Voted "merge" on Dam's Wikipedia page to keep topic tied to fundamentals (forgive the pun) of the whole dam-reservoir not just the spillway under User:MrsKrishan) Great venue, hope to be of service
"Yet I have a part in this great work; I am a link in a chain, a bond of connexion between persons. He has not created me for naught." ― Blessed John Henry Cardinal Newman, Meditations and Devotions
Content from External Source

Hello, Oroville Dam threads are great. I have found the information provided here by members to be extremely valuable and hope to contribute.

Hi, I followed a link from another forum to the Oroville Dam Spillway threads. Thank you'all who contributed to all that fascinating info. I love the level-headedness of the threads.

I'm a Dutch archaeologist, so no experience or pertinent knowledge on reservoirs or erosion in rocky terrain to add here. All my work was done in soft soil, and its very different patterns and scale of erosion.

So I'm reading and learning, will maybe ask some questions, but that will be it.

I hope to find time for the other threads, if I can contribute somewhere, I will.

Hi, I followed a link from another forum to the Oroville Dam Spillway threads. Thank you'all who contributed to all that fascinating info. I love the level-headedness of the threads.

I'm a Dutch archaeologist, so no experience or pertinent knowledge on reservoirs or erosion in rocky terrain to add here. All my work was done in soft soil, and its very different patterns and scale of erosion.

So I'm reading and learning, will maybe ask some questions, but that will be it.

I hope to find time for the other threads, if I can contribute somewhere, I will.
stick around. When people come here talking about how Stonehenge is fake, or how the pyramids are some kind of proof of ET, an archaeologist would be a great asset :)

I live right on the south east ridge Oroville dam was built on, less than a mile from it.

Been searching to find educated views on the spillway situation, as I've never been very trusting of the MSM. Rather than be told what to believe, I prefer to research all viewpoints and then make up my own mind, thank you. Think I'm gonna love this place!

Hi. I live on the first island of the Delta, Yolo side of the combined Sacramento and American Rivers. We have the Deep Sea channel on one side, and the Sac River on the other, the Port of Sacramento to the north and draw bridges to the south. If its rains or melts in NorCal, it flows past my house. I am a former wild land firefighter based out of Redding.

Its not this series of storms that are bothering me, but a really warm one that hits in late March. Local river flow levels have a significant impact to my island. We just rebuilt miles of levee's on the Sac river side. So new, they won't let cars drive on that segment. How long does a slurry mix take to harden and handle max flow pressures, if cars can't drive on it?

My guess is this site will have a Levee thread going soon, once the impact of the releases start to add up, and the stories of flooding islands start to happen.

Hello. I have had Metabunk added to my bookmarks for months, with no recollection of how I came across it.

I have a long involvement, both professional and academic, in security, development and conflict matters. My main area of research is the private security industry, particularly in the MENA region.

This thread is for any first time poster to (optionally) post an introductory "hi everyone" post, which will also get you "verified" (meaning you can post without anti-spam restrictions) once it has been approved.

A few words on who you are and how you ended up here would be appreciated. Or just say hi!
upload_2013-11-7_15-17-0.png

It's highly recommended that you first read the Posting Guidelines:
https://www.metabunk.org/threads/posting-guidelines.2064/
Hi All, Have not used a form like this before and indeed I appreciate the thoughtful consideration that goes into the posts. I follow exopolitics, am a weather watcher, follow space weather, and sun activity. I may not post much but have deeply appreciated the Oroville Dam thread and am now watching the Shasta info since it is such a major water body.
Thanks to all!

Hello All ~
I found this Forum and enjoyed the coverage about the Oroville Dam and Spillways. I live in Oroville and worked for DWR during the construction of these facilities which are now 50+ years old and now needs maintenance [...] I am on high Ground here in Oroville but several thousands of my friends are in the flood plane if the worst happens. Keep us in your prayers.

Hey there,
I found you after coming across those flat earthers. What can I say.. I watched some videos and found myself between stunned and distraught about their theories and their (let's call it) evidence, of which both of them in the vast majority of cases make absolutely no sense whatsoever.

About me: I'm an aerospace engineer student from Germany and therefore not only interested in the basics, that everyone can observe every day to prove flatearthers wrong, but also in the scientific background, which apart from just making sense is fact.
I see, that this forum is not only about debunking flat earth theory and thats even better. I'm known as kind of a smart ass, but all I want to do by correcting people is, them getting on the right way, when they are simply wrong. This forum is like a tool to help me help others to understand the world we live in.

Thank you so much for this great work (=

Sincerely
Jack

Hello All... had never heard of this place, but arrived by way of some hootin' and hollerin' elsewhere re the Oroville Dam, just spent an informative hour reading a couple of interesting threads, and signed up so I can subscribe to 'em. Who knows what else I may fall into!

My question for bunkum is always: cui bono? no one?? Hmm.

Hey everyone! "CuriousJimmy" here, but friends call me Jt. So you can call me Jt, but probably won't ever see this post so it's cool. Whatever you want to call me is fine...we've all been called worse, right? Everyone is a friend of mine until that theory is debunked by any particular "friend" by means of their own actions and how these actions are perceived by me subjectively. Obviously, it's not science, but I'm a thinker. That's why I'm here.

The how of it, if I remember correctly, was a link on a page I was exploring to which I'd gotten via a link to a claim made on stopthecrime.net, which has a lot of very interesting topics, imo. That site is also, as far as I can see, a great source of topics for discussion right here if I'm reading this all right. I should make it clear that I am in NO WAY connected to stopthecrime.net. Nor am I affiliated or connected in any way to any other "conspiratorial" type sites. As a matter of fact, my connections lie only within my personal business. I've never even signed up for a message board before! That's why I don't even know what a "sticky" is. So please be patient with me in that realm! Thank you in advance!

I liked reading (almost immediately) about the strict policy of kindness. What I gathered from this policy is that the more kind one is to others even when facing opposing viewpoints and the more respect in regard to others' comments, ideas, suggestions, etc., the more respect I will gain in this friendly community. GREAT POLICY!

I just forgot! Posts are supposed to be short! Please forgive me! I will work on that. It's not a joke or sarcasm when I say that I have significant brain damage to the right temporal lobe due to a self-inflicted gunshot back in June of 2011, so I'll try my best. My faculties are still all intact and I'm fully capable of being a part of this community. I mainly have trouble solely with short term....uh, what's that word....OH! MEMORY! Hopefully, as I am blessed to still be among the living (as are we all), I'll likewise be so in getting to know you. I'm certainly looking forward to it. :)

Last edited:
Just joined. Found the site while searching for real information on the Oroville Dam situation instead of the drama that passes for news on the entertainment news networks. Nice to see real info.

Graduate engineer, 30+ yrs experience in heavy construction, mining (surface and underground), explosives, mine tailings and waste rock reclamation, dam and spillway repair, pipelines and keeping an open mind. Retired.

Don't talk much but I'll be reading.

Thank you,
Mr.Smith

Hi. I found the site through the threads on the Oroville spillway. The site I came from was full of speculation about lack of rebar etc - a big contrast to the fact based approach on this site. I've found the discussions fascinating - thanks to all the contributors so far. I'm a hydrologist / flood modeler.

Back