UFO Congressional Hearing

walliswallis

Have people been following this? The Huffington Post did a big puff-piece write-up ...

The former federal legislators will convene in Washington, D.C. later this month and hold a serious meeting on the subject, called the Citizen Hearing on Disclosure. They'll hear some 30 hours of testimony from researchers, military personnel and witnesses, all claiming to have proof of alien life.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/09/congressional-hearing-on-extraterrestrials_n_3037699.html

Seemed legit, until I read the bios on the "former federal legislators" elsewhere ...

The hearing panel will be headlined by former congressman Merrill Cook (R – Utah) who was once banned from his own party’s offices after a profanity-laced tirade and was famously plagued during his few years in Congress by reports of erratic behavior leveled by his own staff. “Merrill has taken up permanent residence in whacko land,” Cook’s chief of staff Janet Jenson wrote in an intra-office e-mail in 2000. ”If he asks you to fax his underwear to the speaker’s office, please just do it.”

Joining Cook will be former congressman Roscoe Bartlett (R – Maryland). The 86 year-old raised eyebrows in 2004 when he attended a Unification Church event to receive the “Ambassador of Peace medal” from cult leader Sun Myung Moon who, afterwards, declared himself the Messiah and his wife the Assistant Messiah as Bartlett watched in delight (enjoy this video of Bartlett groveling in front of Moon).

Rounding out this happy band of lunatics is former senator Mike Gravel (D- Alaska). Since his most recent bankruptcy, Gravel has pathetically taken to making public appearances for anyone who will buy him lunch – his previous engagements have included a conference sponsored by the holocaust denial website Barnes Review. (UFO conspiracies aren’t Gravel’s only angle. He’s also been working the 9/11 Truth circuit and several truther websites have accused him of absconding with donor funds.)

it gets even worse ... http://www.parapolitical.com/2013/04/ufo-circus-returns-to-national-press-club/

And yet, HuffPo, MSNBC, etc., are giving this major cred. :(

UFOs always make entertaining news. I think these stories are more of a gentle: "look at these silly former politicians" than anything.

[h=1]Citizen Hearing on Disclosure: ET Believers To Get Congressional-Style Grilling From Former Lawmakers
[/h]Calling that a "Congressional Hearing" is about like the creationists holding a meeting at the Deny's across the street from Harvard and then billing the event as a creationism symposium hosted by Harvard.

Also this article:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ufo-buffs-beam-well-paid-ex-pols-article-1.1330724

Also these comments are the most troubling:

Anyone who watches the hearings http://www.citi*zenhearing.org/ will learn two things.

1) The UFO phenomenon is real, scientifically proven and hugely important.

2) The Daily News' reporting on the the hearings are misleading, ignorant and outright false.

Richard Beckwith6 days ago

You've done an excellent job of making a joke of what should otherwise be a very serious topic. I shouldn't need to point out that not everyone in that room was wearing a crystal on their heads, but you managed to focus right in on them,didn't you. Journalism? Why can't we just get the facts? Why don't you guys do your jobs? You could have written an entire piece on Daniel Sheehan alone, but you just have to keep up the b.s. These hearings aren't a joke. Your journalistic skills and integrity are a joke. You and your colleagues continue to fail us. I can only conclude that you area shill. When former astronauts, directors of the CIA, and high ranking military officials all say this is real, and you still manage to make it a laughing matter, I have to wonder where your head its at. Believe in aliens or don't, but make no mistake. You are the joke.

Any response to these?

Seems completely wrong to me - this hearing would b a joke even without the reporting - but fewer people would be entertained by it because they wouldn't know it was on.

Many years ago, a reporter for one of our two local papers came out to our dog training club to write a personal interest type story. We were excited, until we read it. He made us sound like a bunch of kooks. Said we sat around taking about 'dog clothes" (not a single dog there had anything more than a coat for cold weather) and had one of our smokers 'blowing smoke rings'. Lucille was mad, since she had tried and tried in the past and couldn't. Other parts were along that line.

He made it entertaining, not correct. We pushed until some things were retracted. He has since went on to be a 'name' journalist here in Texas, but I can't read anything he writes without wondering how correct he is.

Many years ago, a reporter for one of our two local papers came out to our dog training club to write a personal interest type story. We were excited, until we read it. He made us sound like a bunch of kooks. Said we sat around taking about 'dog clothes" (not a single dog there had anything more than a coat for cold weather) and had one of our smokers 'blowing smoke rings'. Lucille was mad, since she had tried and tried in the past and couldn't. Other parts were along that line.

He made it entertaining, not correct. We pushed until some things were retracted. He has since went on to be a 'name' journalist here in Texas, but I can't read anything he writes without wondering how correct he is.
It is always easier to tear down and ridicule than it is to take time to try to understand something. . . humor is a way to hide one's distaste, distrust, or dismiss almost anything . . .

Well someone says "When former astronauts, directors of the CIA, and high ranking military officials all say this is real, and you still manage to make it a laughing matter, I have to wonder where your head its at." or basically "If people from higher ups say it's real and then it must be true" is a example of argumentum ad auctoritatem (Argument/Appeal from Authority)? Also can this be debunked at any way?

Howdy from a fellow Texan

Back