TRACON: "Very Small, Very Fast" (Arizona)

Jon Adams

At 1040 MST this morning, I was working on my network router, in the same room where there's a aircraft frequency scanner running. On 126.8 MHz (TRACON PHX South Departure) the ATC person (deep, distinctive voice) announced that "several" flights had reported a "very small, very fast, aircraft at one-six-thousand west of BROAK", and that he was unable to see it on his radar. He repeated this several times over 5 minutes or so. Waypoint BROAK is over the Superstition Mountains east of PHX, about 47 statute miles due east of my location. No mention of a/c direction, ground elevation there in the 3-5k feet range. I have no direct ADS-B coverage from my home site in that direction. On Flightaware, saw nothing there over several minutes.

BROAK is inside the Outlaw MOA (Military Operations Area).

The first image that came to mind is the typical balloon cluster down below; with departure flights at or around FL18 there, something like that, nearly still, would whip across the field of view pretty quickly...

Always interesting monitoring the a/c bands...

Cheers - Jon

Easy Muffin

The first mention appears to be from 1733z, 10:30 MST, by AAL2320 to Albuquerque Center (Sector 38 Miami Low on 132.9).

AAL2320: And AAL2320, something just flew off our right side, about 500 or 1000 ft below us, are you working any aircraft down there?
CTR: AAL2320, no I'm not working any aircraft that are in your vicinity and I'm not working anybody within you by five miles, I don't see anybody out there at least.
AAL2320: Okay, something fairly small, couldn't quite make it out, but definitely off our right side, [???] 1000 ft below us.
CTR: A thousand feet below and off the right side, how far off the right side?
AAL2320: About a mile or two.
CTR: Okay. Yeah, I don't show any primary targets out there, I'll talk Phoenix and see what they say.
AAL2320: Alright.

My initial guess would be military traffic. There's talk of a couple F-35's on the dep frequency not much later so they had some flights up at that time and in that vicinity. Looks like it's not uncommon in the area.

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Mick West Very Fast Soda Cans Hitting Things - Work in Progress Practical Debunking 12
danno Using a very long water level to measure Earth's curvature Flat Earth 16
Mick West Explained: Contrails Appear "Hot" in Thermal Imaging because the Sky Appears Very Cold Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 4
steve holmes I'd appreciate help IDing this very odd contrail flight Contrails and Chemtrails 12
TWCobra Very good question asked by Madison Star Moon Contrails and Chemtrails 27
Stevan Gvozdenovic Let's debunk my (very simple) perpetuum mobile Science and Pseudoscience 57
Chew Very useful website - Youtube closed captioning to text file Practical Debunking 0
jtmac Help me to understand - Photos and Videos with very large numbers of contrails Contrails and Chemtrails 52
A.G. Our very first Swedish (American) chemtrails whistleblower Contrails and Chemtrails 12
H Illusions of Curvature - RC Boat Hidden on Small Pond Flat Earth 10
brad fuller Does the inverse-square law apply to the flat-earth debunking tool chest? Flat Earth 4
Justin Shaw New strange drone footage - small white objects moving fast UFOs and Aliens 30
Astro Debunked: Apollo Lunar Module Hatch Too Small for Spacesuit Science and Pseudoscience 0
izz Does this photo show a too-small hole in the Pentagon? [No] 9/11 28
Sausalito Small victory Practical Debunking 3
endoplasmic_reticulum Claim: Aliens are controlling the SUN (Small, bright "UFO" dots near the Sun) UFOs and Aliens 2
386 Small Green Anomaly with Blue Trail (Night Sky Photography) [Lens Flare/Reflection] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 22
Mick West Debunked: Pyramid on Mars [Small Rock] UFOs and Aliens 16
Mick West Missing African Plane N9784L is a Small Prop Plane, not a Boeing 737, nothing like MH370 General Discussion 17
cloudspotter What Type of Plane Is This? [Too small to tell, maybe MD80] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 6
FreiZeitGeist Small boy talking about chemtrails... Contrails and Chemtrails 3
Related Articles

Related Articles