SOLVED: Video shows UFO speed through thunderstorm at ‘2,000mph’ [Reflection of Headlight]

ManInBlack

Article:

Carmen Rich was filming a big storm off the coast of Fort Lauderdale Beach in Florida when he saw a "ball of light" shoot across the sky.
He admitted he was scared by the unexplained sight - and bizarrely claimed it could have been an alien craft that the US government won't show the public.

He said: "It was the fastest thing I've seen in my entire life and if it was going that fast I figured it would be making some type of noise but it didn't.

"The thing in the back was a plane and that's where you can get a gauge for how fast this thing was. Jennifer turned around, blinked and then missed it.

"I saw it past the phone with my own eyes. I shouted immediately and ended the video because I wanted to see if I actually did get it. I wondered if I was crazy.Screenshot 2023-08-03 at 8.11.00 pm.png

SOURCE (with video): https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/23302513/shock-video-ufo-thunderstorm/

At first glance, I would describe this as typical of a situation in which an insect, bat, or bird flies by much closer to the camera than the viewer, whose perception is tuned to a distant event, is aware of.
Why does it appear out of nowhere and disappear just as abruptly? It becomes so well recognizable to the eye at all only because it is illuminated from the front, from the direction of the observer, and has reflective properties. The slightest change in direction is enough to cancel out this effect. Obviously, light comes from the direction of the camera. The wrong estimation of the speed goes along with the wrong estimation of the object distance. A typical error of perception.

At first glance, I would describe this as typical of a situation in which an insect, bat, or bird flies by much closer to the camera than the viewer, whose perception is tuned to a distant event, is aware of.
Why does it appear out of nowhere and disappear just as abruptly? It becomes so well recognizable to the eye at all only because it is illuminated from the front, from the direction of the observer, and has reflective properties. The slightest change in direction is enough to cancel out this effect. Obviously, light comes from the direction of the camera.
Here it is in slow motion...

I think it a lens reflection from the headlight of the passing car. I don't take the guy's word that he saw it with his own eyes.

I think it a lens reflection from the headlight of the passing car. I don't take the guy's word that he saw it with his own eyes.
He does verbally respond to it in the video (refer to the source link), although he probably saw it on the screen versus in the sky.

I agree...NOTE that the 'UFO' enters the frame as soon as the passing car with the LIGHTS ON passes by and then it disappears once the car leaves the frame. That is no coincidence...

Last edited:
He does verbally respond to it in the video (refer to the source link), although he probably saw it on the screen versus in the sky.

I agree...NOTE that the 'UFO' enters the frame as soon as the passing car with the LIGHTS ON passes by and then it disappears once the car leaves the frame. That is no coincidence...
Indeed, and the headlights of modern cars are pretty powerful/bright.

Could it be both? It, whatever it is, seems to fade a little bit as it is moving on.
Could this be an indication of a turning flight path - of an object illuminated by the headlights?

What speaks against the latter would be that front headlights rather do not produce such a scattered light.

Could it be both? It, whatever it is, seems to fade a little bit as it is moving on.
Could this be an indication of a turning flight path - of an object illuminated by the headlights?

What speaks against the latter would be that front headlights rather do not produce such a scattered light.
The fading occurs when the headlight goes out of view. There is a reflection, lens or an object in front of the vehicle.

@ManInBlack May be. But I am not familiar with such a reflection on the camera that creates a line. Would there be other examples of this? However, I have often seen the insect in a similar form.

@ManInBlack May be. But I am not familiar with such a reflection on the camera that creates a line. Would there be other examples of this? However, I have often seen the insect in a similar form.
I've rewatched the video and you see other cars pass with lights on with no reflection. I don't think it is the camera lens, it is more likely to be reflecting off something.

I don't have examples...yet

It appears on the left when the headlight appears on the right, roughly the same distance from the edge of the frame on the left as the headlight is from the right. It also appears to to have a slight arc and moves opposite/rotates around the headlight, and it's pretty much directly lined up with the headlight as they cross the center of the frame.

1691063976835.png

The light from a reflection is often much smaller than the source looks because it doesn't have the glare the source does. The light looks elongated possibly due to lower iso because it's dusk? Maybe the bulb is actually elongated? Both?

The first car/suv had headlights that there more boxy and less open on the side so possibly why there was no reflection on that one.

My vote is reflection.

The car's moving, it's motion blurred. If part of it, say the brightest part of the headlight (hard to identify where that is, as it's all bleached), is being internally reflected in the camera, then it too will be motion blurred.

The length of the car blur in each frame is certainly the same length as the light 'object''s blur, which supports the hypothesis it's an internal reflection (of something quite specific within the lamp, a single brightest highlight).

I agree with the lens reflection hypothesis.

Can anyone identify the model of car...?

1691067283135.png

Last edited:
A good way of looking at these is to rotate the video 180 degrees and overlay that on the original, offsetting it vertically, and cropping out part of it so the light and the reflection can be seen side-by-side. Slowed down to 1/4 speed

Then it becomes clear it's just a reflection

It also looks like the same thing is happening with the next car. It's out of focus and rather faint, but these also seem to coincide with headlight movement:

videoplayback.mp4_snapshot_00.09.140.pngvideoplayback.mp4_snapshot_00.09.167.pngvideoplayback.mp4_snapshot_00.09.200.png

These also converge (though not quite in the center of the frame, then again the image is out of focus and the center of the reflection hard to pick out):

lines.png

Last edited:
@Mick West This might make for a fun quick debunk on YouTube. It is compact, definitive and illustrates a source of potential UFO vids I don;t think you've covered there yet.

Back