Searchlight "UAP" in Wisconsin - Flanders Family Christmas Lights

(I apologize for the screen grab, but the weather channel doesn't let me cut and paste.)
025A9C34-5708-4DB3-97CA-9CC625F57F1F.jpeg
(Brian Brettschneider, weather.com, "November kicks off the cloudiest time of year...")
that only answers the question if one knows what "because the jetstream" means.

I was going for something along the lines of 'because cold air holds less moisture than warm air, so clouds are more likely to form blah blah blah'

I'l take that to mean you don't know.
(**sigh**) The polar jet stream is a current of circumpolar air, so it's cold. When the jet stream loops down into the lower 48, it brings a lot of cold air down to us. When the air is colder, moisture in the air more readily condenses into clouds. Will that do as a simple explanation?

(Side note: one of the things that has caused significant amounts of weird weather in the USA is the fact that the jet stream is swinging in wide oscillations at times, not following its usual pattern of behavior. That give us times that, for example, the temperature in Fairbanks is higher than the temperature in Orlando, as happened a couple of years ago at Christmas. The temperature where I am in Ohio dropped 35°F overnight, and I suspect the jet stream is responsible.)

Last edited:
Except it gets darker later on July 4th (fewer eyes on the sky),
My sense is that there are aome number of people watching stuff in the sky on the 4th of July! ^_^ Of course, it may be that they are more likely to interpret interesting lights as part of a show on the night of a million "C" Class fireworks...

and there's less likely to be low cloud cover.
I'll concede that point -- but still, low clouds are not impossible on the 4th, or on Opening Night of the community theater, or Big Sale night at the car lot.

In the MUFON submission they included a map and drawings.
127449_submitter_file1__0B1D822DCFE04F239A1773F6171F8223.png
|
This needs to be read in the context that "they followed us" is also a behaviour seen from venus (or was it jupiter?) in eye-witness testimony - from experts!
Maybe your kid was shaken by the experience because he was in a car with a hysterical person behind the wheel?

What amazes me are the gullible UFO people go straight to aliens even after the Shenzhen Meteorological Bureau explained what it was.

and if you cant see the bottom of the spotlight beam...

Absolutely - well spotted, thank you! This highlights the exponential attenuation of the beam brilliantly. The "losing 0.1% of its energy per 10m slice of air"-type thing I mentioned above. There's more energy to be dissipated and diffused near the source, and less as you go along the beam.

Bright orbs that seemed to glide through the clouds over rural parts of the state were recently captured in video footage shared by social media users who thought they might have seen a UFO.

"Multiple witnesses reporting orb-like UAPs flying in formation over rural Wisconsin..!!" wrote Twitter user Joshua Rodriguez. A tweet of the video on his page garnered over 24,000 views.

But according to investigator and columnist Mick West, the illuminated objects likely came from spotlights at a home in Belgium, a village in Ozaukee County.

"Regarding the Wisconsin searchlight 'UAP' [unidentified aerial phenomena], I asked around and apparently the Holy Cross Church of Belgium, WI, added searchlights to their Christmas display this year. And it's right in the lines of sight," West wrote.
https://people.com/human-interest/ufo-sighting-wisconsin-apparently-solved-christmas-lights/

Article concludes with Ben Hansen's $0.02, to preserve some sense of mystery -- this is, after all, People...

Last edited:
Absolutely - well spotted, thank you! This highlights the exponential attenuation of the beam brilliantly. The "losing 0.1% of its energy per 10m slice of air"-type thing I mentioned above. There's more energy to be dissipated and diffused near the source, and less as you go along the beam.
i was looking up projectors as a house on the way to a family member had a projector that shined on their house and you could only see the beam if you went down a side street. Here the Aitken "Lighthouse" design is a good example...from most angles you see no beam
lighthouse2.png
lighthouse1.png

Chris, while on the TC show says (bold by me):

So we continued on our drive, we were going to go to Candy Cane Lane with our daughters, which is a holiday tradition for us. And we drove for 20 miles and the entire 20 miles, we continue to see these lights that would pulse through the sky incredibly fast. There'll be like a five to 32nd delay in between, and then they'd either come back again, the same direction, or they would come back the opposite direction. And it just seemed very odd.

So at this point, I wanted to capture some of this on on video. And I thought it was incredibly odd once again that we had seen these for 20 miles, I just started rolling things out in my head of what that could be. So we got off an exit in Greenfield, which is a more populated area, and pulled into a church parking lot and looked up in the southern sky, which was the direction we were seeing these while driving. And the only thing I noticed in the sky at that point was a bluish purple hue up in the sky. And I thought that was odd.
Content from External Source
Here's churches along I43 in Greenfield WI:

Minor update: Got a wider shot of Chris's location (light in the sky is a sensor reflection)
2023-03-17_17-58-41.jpg

Put him at the King of Glory Lutheran Church, looking south.

2023-03-17_17-59-45.jpg

So too far away, and looking in the opposite direction. Not it!

Likely venues to the south are The Rock Sports Complex or the Tuckaway Country Club. But it could be anything.

So too far away, and looking in the opposite direction. Not it!

Likely venues to the south are The Rock Sports Complex or the Tuckaway Country Club. But it could be anything.

I think that's what I thought. I had picked Mt. Zion's Lutheran church as a possibility based on the description at the time, but obviously the Kingdom of Glory Lutheran church also fits the description. There seems to be a lot of Lutheran churches in that area.

1679192256183.png
So, they would be seeing the lights towards the Southern suburbs of Milwaukee, right?

May have to find another Christmas light display, which seems totally plausible. People that are into Christmas lights always seem to go bigger and better.

May have to wait till the Holidays later this year to figure that one out.

Back