Photos of Planes and Contrails (That you took yourself)

A Barrage of army (Puma's?) helecopters headed south this morning, pretty much over my house. I have never known or witnessed actions like this on a Saturday in all my years of plane spotting, unless there is a airshow but that only happens in the summertime here.

Attachments

• 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 180
  • 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 177
  • 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 170
A Barrage of army (Puma's?) helecopters headed south this morning, pretty much over my house. I have never known or witnessed actions like this on a Saturday in all my years of plane spotting, unless there is a airshow but that only happens in the summertime here.

possibly to do with Ukraine ?

These are British military AW159 Wildcat helicopters, used by Army Air Corps and Royal Navy. Wildcat is an improved version of recently retired Lynx.

That would have been useful on this older thread, where the idea of seeing Military helicopters in the UK country side was considered evidence of a "UFO checking on a Crop circle". You sure there wasn't a Crop circle in your backyard?;)

https://www.metabunk.org/threads/in-1994-military-helicopter-monitors-orb-near-crop-circle.12153/

possibly to do with Ukraine ?

Yes, i would say it is giving how things are esculating over there.
That would have been useful on this older thread, where the idea of seeing Military helicopters in the UK country side was considered evidence of a "UFO checking on a Crop circle". You sure there wasn't a Crop circle in your backyard?;)

https://www.metabunk.org/threads/in-1994-military-helicopter-monitors-orb-near-crop-circle.12153/
I did take a look but no, unfortunatally i dont have any crop circles in my garden !

If a screen grab counts as taking it myself this is a pretty great image of an aircraft and contrail on Google Earth. 45°03'39"N 23°34'56"E · 280 m
Zoom out for the full effect.
source: https://earth.app.goo.gl/if8ahw

IMG_0033.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Belgian A400M, flight from Goose Bay Airport Newfoundland to Belgium unsure what airport, as its on decenct.

Anyway it passed quite close over my location at 19:02 BST with contrails at near enough 35,000ft and i managed quickly to get a few photos. Canon 450 with sigma 70-300 flat out.
The full flight and the close screenshot on ADSB for reference.
Nice to see a prop contrail!

Attachments

• adsb screenshot.jpg
    adsb screenshot.jpg
    468.5 KB · Views: 129
  • adsb flight.jpg
    adsb flight.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 119
  • 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 120
  • 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 134
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 125
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 123
So i had the fortinate viewing for the C17 (ZZ177) The Queen passing near here on the 13th September 2022.
Was a rush to do as i just got back in from work, turn on pc -Adsb on, Camera, take the shot! sorry for the quality.
Sigma 300mm Canon 450d
And note all inbound flights, was put on hold locally.
ZZ177. The C17 reg number 'read' this could be read as Lizz Aka Elizabeth just thinking out loud there.
Anyway, love or hate her, i saw the plane go by.
(err its, my Birthday on Monday 19th too - mini isolation again! most shops shut, ACE nice and quiet)

Attachments

• zz177-royal-air-force-boeing-c-17a-globemaster-iii_PlanespottersNet_1275968_eab0ded116_o.jpg
    zz177-royal-air-force-boeing-c-17a-globemaster-iii_PlanespottersNet_1275968_eab0ded116_o.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 91
  • ciric.jpg
    ciric.jpg
    543.7 KB · Views: 88
  • adsb.jpg
    adsb.jpg
    466.9 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_2005.JPG
    IMG_2005.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_2004.JPG
    IMG_2004.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 92
i had to sharpen it so the distrail and contrail blotches showed up more like in real life (my phone camera sucks with zoom) but cool distrail/contrail pattern i've never noticed so vividly before.

sbscsharp.png

I’m in Devon at the moment. After two days of glorious blue skies with no contrails, I saw quite a display this morning.

89B51D4F-439F-49B3-A600-CCF2EDA09688.jpeg

The plane belongs to Draken who run fighter pilot training out of Bournemouth airport. There were actually two training this morning, one further south over the mainland and this one which was responsible for these trails. The altitude was quite low, only 25,000ft or so.
The trails seem more pronounced in the turns. Engine thrust or aerodynamic contrails?

432845C0-ADE6-4E77-B190-806583DCC416.png

As the trails aged they produced a sun dog too:

410D20A0-B993-46CA-A1D4-A76423AFC27C.jpeg

Edit to add atmospheric sounding. The flight was at 25000ft which equated to around 380mb. Pretty much the most humid layer of the atmosphere at that time (chart for 7am, pictures taken around 9.30am).

1684406152129.png

Last edited:
Delta flight DL940 (33,000ft) in proximity of HBAL625 (60,000ft) over Phoenix on 4/9/2023. There are a couple of other specs of something in the air between my lens and the subjects.

DSCN9591.jpg

I'm not sure if people are experiencing the internet differently from me, it's entirely possible with my browser prefences, but the images that people seem to be discussing seem to be different post-to-post - e.g. there was no TV aerial in the "just above the TV aerial" image.

I don't remember if this was on the way to a beer festival, or on the way back from one, but it all felt a bit supercollider to the group I was with at the time (hand is because sun, that bit I do remember):

I'm not sure if people are experiencing the internet differently from me, it's entirely possible with my browser prefences, but the images that people seem to be discussing seem to be different post-to-post - e.g. there was no TV aerial in the "just above the TV aerial" image.
"TV aerial" is referring to an antenna mast with two yagi antennas mounted, which is an antenna type that was commonly used for terrestrial analog TV reception, but can also have other purposes.
93EAC872-0FD5-47FE-BC5C-C402DC68683E.jpeg.jpg
This is a crop to the antenna; I see the full image in posts #1260 (Trailspotter) and #1247 (Trailblazer). Please PM me if you have further questions.

"TV aerial" is referring to an antenna mast with two yagi antennas mounted, which is an antenna type that was commonly used for terrestrial analog TV reception, but can also have other purposes.
93EAC872-0FD5-47FE-BC5C-C402DC68683E.jpeg.jpg
This is a crop to the antenna; I see the full image in posts #1260 (Trailspotter) and #1247 (Trailblazer). Please PM me if you have further questions.

Yup, that image was not in the post that made reference to aerials. Probably a bug in the site only seen by those who don't enable JS.

Sunset contrail yesterday. A bit reminiscent of those "missile trail" ones, although less likely to confuse because the plane was going in the opposite direction.

This was stretching 80 miles or so to the northwest when I took the photo (and there was some more visible behind me too). All from a little Cessna, weighing less than 6 tons, so a nice refutation of the idea that contrails are anything sprayed from a plane!

(The lower plane silhouetted was AA142 from New York - also, confusingly, heading west as it was just starting its final 180-degree turn into Heathrow.)

Back