Persistent contrails and overcast the day after

WavedRhyme

Why is it everytime on a day where there is a clear sky and i see lots of persistent contrails the next day it is always so cloudy you cant see any sky at all?

Pete Tar

Senior Member.
The fact that the contrails persist means there is a front moving in, pushing the air that is right for persistent contrails ahead of it.
It seems as if the contrails 'cause' the high overcast clouds, but really they just indicate the presence of saturated air that precedes the cirro-stratus that follows. The contrails themselves are just man-made cirro-stratus.
(that is my basic amateur understanding anyway)

HappyMonday

Why is it everytime on a day where there is a clear sky and i see lots of persistent contrails the next day it is always so cloudy you cant see any sky at all?
...because you're linking two things which happen in the sky above you without understanding of the mechanics that govern the behaviour of that environment. Are you sure it's 'always' cloudy, without fail, really?

People who made a link between a recent vaccination of their children and the onset of symptoms of autism made a similar leap.

There are better people here than me to explain any connection which may exist between humidity and super-saturation of ice above 30k feet (which is the reason you see expanding, persistent contrails) and the following days weather patterns, but suffice to say you'll find it's the overall conditions in the atmosphere and not the presence of the contrails themselves that are at fault, if anything.

Planes are not spraying to change the weather over your town.

CbIncus

WavedRhyme, the things you've described are connected with major weather systems like a warm or occlusion front, or an upper-level disturbance. Vast areas of cirrus clouds are created by these systems, and the clouds (it means ice-supersaturated regions too) are at the leading edge of them. High cirrus are usually followed by thick altostratus (the sun can't be visible) or nimbostratus, which bring precipitation.

Cairenn

Senior Member.
Recently I was driving around Dallas one afternoon. When I left my house, I noticed a couple of persistent contrails. An hour or so later, I noticed a cirrus bank moving in. Within a 2-3 hours, that cirrus layer was overhead. Someone that had been inside during those hours could have easily assumed that the contrails spread to cover the entire sky.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member

George B

Extinct but not forgotten Staff Member
I still has an explanation though. A plane flying though a region ice supersaturated air. Just that in this case it was the only plane, and it flew in circles, so made an unusually dense and singular contrail.
However, this was on a weekend day if I remember correctly and there were many other aircraft over the UK . . . this one seemed to initiate a cascade of cirrus while the others did not seem too. . . . this effect has been witnessed before. . . and is not easily explained .. . .

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
However, this was on a weekend day if I remember correctly and there were many other aircraft over the UK . . . this one seemed to initiate a cascade of cirrus while the others did not seem too. . . . this effect has been witnessed before. . . and is not easily explained .. . .
Not true. There were several other contrails from normal planes in that area. The was simply the most distinct and most concentrated one. The other contrails also contributed to the cirrus.

You can see the contrails outside the spiral area grow here:

Last edited:

George B

Not true. There were several other contrails from normal planes in that area. The was simply the most distinct and most concentrated one. The other contrails also contributed to the cirrus.

You can see the contrails outside the spiral area grow here:
I am not really disagreeing with you . . . what I am trying to say is that sometimes in the clear sky . . . where there appears to be no indication that cirrus clouds would form they sometimes bloom and the bloom can appear to be initiated by a single or a few events such as a persistent contrail . . . predicting such cascading events is not easily predicted . . .

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
I am not really disagreeing with you . . . what I am trying to say is that sometimes in the clear sky . . . where there appears to be no indication that cirrus clouds would form they sometimes bloom and the bloom can appear to be initiated by a single or a few events such as a persistent contrail . . . predicting such cascading events is not easily predicted . . .
There are very specific and well understood reasons for that though. The difficulty is in measuring regions of ice supersaturation.

Contrails can form in clear blue skies where cirrus clouds will not form, because they add water, temporarily raising humidity.

The resultant cirrus will persist because cloud persistence occurs at a lower relative humidity than cloud creation.

George B

There are very specific and well understood reasons for that though. The difficulty is in measuring regions of ice supersaturation.

Contrails can form in clear blue skies where cirrus clouds will not form, because they add water, temporarily raising humidity.

The resultant cirrus will persist because cloud persistence occurs at a lower relative humidity than cloud creation.
Yes, I agree . . . the key is what pushes the occasional contrail into a bloom of cirrus and cirrus haze and when does it not . . . simply the amount of Ice supersaturated air . . . if so can we determine when this will happen via atmospheric soundings or not? I think this is an issue beyond just simple inquiry I think it has implications on how to mitigate climatic impact and explaining to chemtrail conspiracy advocates what is really going on . . .

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Clouds Givemethewillies Persistent Aerodynamic Contrails From Propellor Tips Contrails and Chemtrails 12
Mick West Persistent Aerodynamic Contrail Forming @28,500 on 787 Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 0
Mick West Giant Dark Persistent Aerodynamic Contrail Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 6
Trailblazer Persistent contrails at 26,000ft Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 3
Tapir-mâché Curious-- how low can persistent contrails form? Contrails and Chemtrails 25
Mick West An unusual persistent aerodynamic contrail Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 11
Mick West Persistent Cumuliform Contrails at 25,000 feet over California? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 20
S Persistent Spreading Contrail Contrails and Chemtrails 4
D [NeedInfo]Persistent Contrails Picture Show Contrails and Chemtrails 2
M Converting Relative Humidity with regards to water, to Relative Humidity with regards to ice Contrails and Chemtrails 3
O More on debunking "no persistent contrails" Contrails and Chemtrails 12
cmnit Debunked: No persistent contrails in Russia Contrails and Chemtrails 67
Mick West Debunked: The Science Claims of Global March Against Chemtrails and Geoengineering Contrails and Chemtrails 4
Trailblazer Busy Sky over Southern UK - July 30 2014 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 4
Dylmar Are there more persistent contrails these days? Contrails and Chemtrails 49
Mick West Debunking "Contrails don't Persist" with a Study of 70 Years of Books on Clouds Contrails and Chemtrails 98
Ross Marsden Aerodynamic and Exhaust Mediated Persistent Contrails - When do they Form? Contrails and Chemtrails 52
Jay Reynolds Debunked: "Hygroscopic Smoke" Produces Persistent Contrails Contrails and Chemtrails 1
George B Debunk Global Warming can reduce the number of Persistent Contrails Contrails and Chemtrails 7
Mick West Michael J. Murphy Admits Persistent Contrails Exist. Can't tell the difference. Contrails and Chemtrails 26
M Relative humidity difference between persistent and non-persistent contrails Contrails and Chemtrails 41
Mick West Persistent Trails Survey Shows Chemtrail Believers Only Recently Noticed Persistent Trails Contrails and Chemtrails 32
Mick West 1952 - Condensation Trails From Aircraft - With a 1937 Persistent Contrail Photo - Oldest Ever? Contrails and Chemtrails 3
MikeG "Non-Persistent" and "Non-Visible Chemtrails" Contrails and Chemtrails 29
Trailspotter Persistent Blue Spiral in the Gulf of Oman General Discussion 8
mrfintoil Discussion: False memories and "No persistent trails in the past" Contrails and Chemtrails 46
Mick West Pre 1995 Persistent Contrail Archive Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 515
G Persistent Contrail Since 1919 Contrails and Chemtrails 0
Mick West Curved and Looped Contrails in SoCal [San Diego Delays] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 1
Mick West Crazy Contrails from LAX Ground Stop Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 1
D Explained: Photo of 747 with Contrails Only on One Side [Fake, April Fool] Contrails and Chemtrails 21
Mick West Infrared Photos of Clouds and Contrails Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 17
Mick West Moonlight Contrails Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 1
Mick West YouTube adds Encyclopedia Britannica article on Contrails to "Chemtrail" Videos Contrails and Chemtrails 18
Mick West Aerodynamic Contrails at 27,000 to 31,000 feet near Sacramento Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 2
Trailblazer Sharp boundary between contrails and clear sky Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 1
Mick West Plane Flies in Front of Super Blue Blood Moon Eclipse Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 1
Clouds Givemethewillies Contrail lobes or mamma? The importance of correct terminology Contrails and Chemtrails 0
cloudspotter How Changing Weather Conditions Make Contrails Show Up Contrails and Chemtrails 9
Trailspotter Contrail cross over Tasmania and spinning contrails over Victoria Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 0
Mick West Explained: Manurewa NZ, 'Extra-terrestrial' Fireball Jumps Up [Contrail, Altitude change] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
Mick West Halifax, NS: Regularly Spaced Gaps in Contrails [Ethiopian Flight 501] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 47
Mick West Some Perspective on Perspective Foreshortening - Contrails and UFOs Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 1
Mick West Explained: Viral Video of 787 Leaving Thick Contrails with Forced Perspective Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 1
Mick West A Plane Flying Across the Face of the Sun, with Contrails [Virgin Flight 353] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
TEEJ Contrails filmed from commercial flight over the Irish Sea - 6th May 2017 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 2
ki_cz Contrails 'breaking up' clouds Contrails and Chemtrails 10
E Can someone tell me what these are? [Grid pattern contrails] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
P Can someone please explain these trails at sunset [Contrails] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 13
Mick West There Are No New Clouds, Just New Latin Classifications Contrails and Chemtrails 2
Related Articles

Related Articles