Patrick Michaels discusses "Ocean sea levels could rise 3 to 6 feet in this century"

Clock

Senior Member.
High School Science Discredits The New York Times' Latest Global Warming Whopper

By: Patrick Michaels
I was listening to NPR the other day when I heard the
New York Times’
Justin Gillis blithely mention that “experts” say sea level could rise three to six feet this century!

He’s right. That would be two outlier scientists who are beyond even the new projections made by the United Nations’ Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), which likes to bill itself as the “consensus of scientists.” (More completely, that would be the consensus of scientists who built their careers on the global warming gravy plane and really don’t want to go back to coach.)

Gillis has taken over the Times’ global warming beat from the much more careful Andy Revkin, and he isn’t shy about pushing lurid warming stories. He’s not, because Gillis wants action, which, in its latest incarnation, would be a tax on everything we do that in some way is powered by fossil fuels. That would mean pretty much everything we do.

He first bloomed on my radar two years ago, when he wrote a breathless piece entitled, “A Warming Planet Struggles to Feed Itself.”

Really? Well, the surface temperature is a bit warmer than it was in 1900—about 1.4°F worth. Since then, U.S. corn yields more than quintupled. Wheat yields tripled. After World War II, world crop production began an upward march at a remarkably constant rate, thanks to the way that science, technology and markets conspire to feed us all.

Read more at:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/patrick...new-york-times-latest-global-warming-whopper/
Content from External Source

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if you could explain to us the effects of thermal expansion in relation to the results of changes in the atmospheric chemistry evidenced through multiple data collection methods ?

This is not a debunk. The reality is that there are a variety of estimates, and we don't know what will happen. Hence the original claim is correct. Sea levels could rise that much, although it seems more likely to be below three feet.

upload_2013-9-7_14-7-31.png
Figure 3: Projection of sea-level rise from 1990 to 2100, based on IPCC temperature projections for three different emission scenarios. The sea-level range projected in the IPCC AR4 for thesescenarios are shown for comparison in the bars on the bottom right. Also shown in red is observed sea-level (Vermeer 2009).

Figure 3 shows projected sea level rise for three different emission scenarios. The semi-empirical method predicts sea level rise roughly 3 times greater than the IPCC predictions. Note the IPCC predictions are shown as vertical bars in the bottom right. For the lowest emission rate, sea levels are expected to rise around 1 metre by 2100. For the higher emission scenario, which is where we're currently tracking, sea level rise by 2100 is around 1.4 metres.

There are limitations to this approach. The temperature record over the past 120 years doesn't include large, highly non-linear events such as the collapse of an ice sheet. Therefore, the semi-empirical method can't rule out sharp increases in sea level from such an event.

Independent confirmation of the semi-empirical method is found in a kinematic study of glaciermovements (Pfeffer 2008). The study examines calving glaciers in Greenland, determining eachglacier's potential to discharge ice based on factors such as topography, cross-sectional area and whether the bedrock is based below sea level. A similar analysis is also made of West Antarcticglaciers (I can't find any mention of calculating ice loss from East Antarctica). The kinematic method estimates sea level rise between 80 cm to 2 metres by 2100.

Recent observations find sea level tracking at the upper range of IPCC projections. The semi-empirical and kinematic methods provide independent confirmation that the IPCC underestimate sea level rise by around a factor of 3. There are growing indications that sea level rise by the end of this century will approach or exceed 1 metre.
http://www.skepticalscience.com/sea-level-rise-predictions-intermediate.htm

Last edited:
And please don't post full articles from commercial news sites, they tend the get annoyed at that.

The preseason predictions were all dire, using words like "extremely active" and "above-normal" to describe the forecast for the 2013 Atlantic hurricane season. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) predicted that seven to 11 hurricanes would form, while AccuWeather predicted eight.
all hype no action http://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2013/09/07/quiet-hurricane-season/2776845/

Could you please explain why you think hurricane predictions for one season have any relevance to sea level projections for the remainder of the century?

Even a one foot rise in ocean levels is pretty bad for some countries.
countries or sannbars ? LikeMaldives
Could you please explain why you think hurricane predictions for one season have any relevance to sea level projections for the remainder of the century?
Because they are just guessing and they get payed for it . We would be better off with some gypsy and a crystal ball . Same with sea level rise . Global warming is a conspiracy made up by alarmist that get paid for making crap up . Sure they use scientific methods that make it seem like they know what theyre doing but its just a guess . looks like Australia has had enough of their carbon taxes and elected a conservative leader . http://world.time.com/2013/09/06/australian-government-faces-carbon-tax-backlash-at-poll/

Because they are just guessing and they get payed for it . We would be better off with some gypsy and a crystal ball . Same with sea level rise .

That doesn't address my question.

Global warming is a conspiracy made up by alarmist that get paid for making crap up . Sure they use scientific methods that make it seem like they know what theyre doing but its just a guess .

Why do you believe this?

countries or sannbars ? LikeMaldives/
I have to brush my teeth and wash my sink after reading that. Excuse my vomit breath, but I'm allergic to certain things.
Unique ecosystem aside, I heard that there are a few people in Bangladesh. (The Netherlands would be bummed, too.) The displacement of humans due to climate change will ultimately affect your home country, no matter how you color your predictive maps. Desperation breeds radicalism, if that brings it any closer to your doorstep. C'mon, man...

Just noticed that you're in Florida. How would a 1 foot rise affect Florida? And you misspelled Cinnabar. Sorry, I'm done here. "Global warming is a conspiracy," says someone who obviously does not understand the overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Look - Earth's atmosphere does not care about human politics. Ozone doesn't consider Al Gore and Rush Limbaugh. In that regard, we might stand to learn something from ozone. Leave politics the heck outta objective scientific inquiry.

And as for objectivity and Forbes (excuse homeboy's slow speaking style):

Edit: Yes, I know dropping a lengthy vid. is often frowned upon, but I feel that it is appropriate. Would it be more appropriate to refer folks to a stack of papers? Sod it. Drop by for tea and I'll prepare a rocks-out seminar custom-tailored to your particulars. [time permitting, I probably would, in all honesty...]

Last edited:
I have to brush my teeth and wash my sink after reading that. Excuse my vomit breath, but I'm allergic to certain things.
Unique ecosystem aside, I heard that there are a few people in Bangladesh. (The Netherlands would be bummed, too.) The displacement of humans due to climate change will ultimately affect your home country, no matter how you color your predictive maps. Desperation breeds radicalism, if that brings it any closer to your doorstep. C'mon, man...

Just noticed that you're in Florida. How would a 1 foot rise affect Florida? And you misspelled Cinnabar. Sorry, I'm done here. "Global warming is a conspiracy," says someone who obviously does not understand the overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Look - Earth's atmosphere does not care about human politics. Ozone doesn't consider Al Gore and Rush Limbaugh. In that regard, we might stand to learn something from ozone. Leave politics the heck outta objective scientific inquiry.
need I say more ? Global warming is a HOAX http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...caps-grows-60-global-warming-predictions.html PS I meant SANDBAR

Yes you need say more. You need to say if you see a trend here:
http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/
Only six years ago, the BBC reported that the Arctic would be ice-free in summer by 2013, citing a scientist in the US who claimed this was a ‘conservative’ forecast. Perhaps it was their confidence that led more than 20 yachts to try to sail the Northwest Passage from the Atlantic to the Pacific this summer. As of last week, all these vessels were stuck in the ice, some at the eastern end of the passage in Prince Regent Inlet, others further west at Cape Bathurst.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...global-warming-predictions.html#ixzz2eLnJGFHH
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

well Rush Limbaughs house would be underwater and Id be able to surf right behind my shop . The people in the Netherlands and Bangladesh should have moved years ago . But 100 years from now the coastline will look the same .

You're bound to encounter problems if tabloids are your chosen source for climate news -- especially those with a history of deliberately misrepresenting science.

Skeptical Science: Arctic sea-ice 'growth', a manufactured IPCC 'crisis' and more: David Rose is at it again
Bad Astronomy: No, the World Isn't Cooling

(Not that I think anyone besides Joe put stock in the articles he posted.)
Maybe so but if they cant convince me think about the millions that are just Average Joes :) Seems the only believers in Global Warming are the ones who make a living off it ?

Maybe so but if they cant convince me think about the millions that are just Average Joes :) Seems the only believers in Global Warming are the ones who make a living off it ?

How could you make a living off global warming if you did not believe it was happening?

That's like saying "only believers in hunger make a living from growing food".

How could you make a living off global warming if you did not believe it was happening?

That's like saying "only believers in hunger make a living from growing food".
I couldnt make a living off it . The IPCC and their ilk seem to :)

Maybe so but if they cant convince me...

If you're forming your opinions around articles like you've linked, which are full of misrepresentations and bunk, how do you propose to identify what's "convincing" at all? First you have to learn how to distinguish between accurate information and nonsense, and that's going to require more effort on your part.

If you're forming your opinions around articles like you've linked, which are full of misrepresentations and bunk, how do you propose to identify what's "convincing" at all? First you have to learn how to distinguish between accurate information and nonsense, and that's going to require more effort on your part.
Explain the bunk in the article ? Mick posted a graph but never said that the ice cap didnt grow larger in 2013 ? Thats not debunking the article just a attempt to debunk my Hoax statement . Iv seen more bunk out of the alarmist then the deniers . IMO of course . Plus Whats the point of climate scientist anyway ? Its not like they can change anything and predictions were just as good with the Farmers Almanac which is saying this winter should be cooler .

Explain the bunk in the article ? Mick posted a graph but never said that the ice cap didnt grow larger in 2013 ? Thats not debunking the article just a attempt to debunk my Hoax statement .

I already gave you two articles which do so in detail. Did you not read them?

Explain the bunk in the article ? Mick posted a graph but never said that the ice cap didnt grow larger in 2013 ? Thats not debunking the article just a attempt to debunk my Hoax statement . Iv seen more bunk out of the alarmist then the deniers . IMO of course . Plus Whats the point of climate scientist anyway ? Its not like they can change anything and predictions were just as good with the Farmers Almanac which is saying this winter should be cooler .

Come on Joe. You know what the graph means - there's a downwards trend.

You also know the article is misleading because it's strongly implying that because the sea ice grew one year then global warming is not happening and we are in a cooling trend.

Does this look like a cooling trend?

Hence that bit of the article is debunked.

Last edited:
Explain the bunk in the article ? Mick posted a graph but never said that the ice cap didnt grow larger in 2013 ? Thats not debunking the article just a attempt to debunk my Hoax statement . Iv seen more bunk out of the alarmist then the deniers . IMO of course
Come on Joe. You know what the graph means - there's a downwards trend.

You also know the article is misleading because it's strongly implying that because the sea ice grew one year then global warming is not happening and we are in a cooling trend.

Does this look like a cooling trend?

Hence that bit of the article is debunked.

Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) – International Arctic Research Center (IARC)http://wattsupwiththat.com/reference-pages/sea-ice-page/

I've been looking at this subject in the context of Dane Wigington's claims about massive methane releases he claims are underway at present.

You might find the following relevant, as it extends the time scale back considerably, and a different picture emerges.
http://bprc.osu.edu/geo/publications/mckay_etal_CJES_08.pdf

There have been periods of arctic sea ice minimums less than today's levels during the Holocene, at CO2 levels much lower than present, and at least some of the current minimums are a recovery from the LIA.

This is partly the line of evidence used recently by Gavin Schmidt, climate researcher and no AGW skeptic who used this information when refuting claims of an methane hydrate release catastrophe scenario.

Ah, the climate discussion equivalent of Godwin's Law. While this is neither relevant to the articles I posted nor a substitute for answering questions posed to you, I suppose it is useful in one way -- a reminder to readers that your objections are political or conspiratorial rather than scientific.

Ah, the climate discussion equivalent of Godwin's Law. While this is neither relevant to the articles I posted nor a substitute for answering questions posed to you, I suppose it is useful in one way -- a reminder to readers that your objections are political or conspiratorial rather than scientific.
Global warming is political . Its all about carbon taxes and control .

Global warming is political . Its all about carbon taxes and control .

No. "What exactly is happening?" and "what should we do about it?" are two different questions. You can't lump policy recommendations or mitigation strategies under the same heading as climate science itself.

Scientific investigation explains the processes and mechanisms at work as well as identifies problems we may encounter from the human impact on climate. That's separate from any subsequent policy recommendations or the politics of their implementation. Your objections, to reiterate, are not scientific; they're attributable to differences (real or only perceived) in political ideology. Well, that and the fact that you think an entire scientific discipline is an elaborate hoax. :rolleyes:

No. "What exactly is happening?" and "what should we do about it?" are two different questions. You can't lump policy recommendations or mitigation strategies under the same heading as climate science itself.

Scientific investigation explains the processes and mechanisms at work as well as identifies problems we may encounter from the human impact on climate. That's separate from any subsequent policy recommendations or the politics of their implementation. Your objections, to reiterate, are not scientific; they're attributable to differences (real or only perceived) in political ideology. Well, that and the fact that you think an entire scientific discipline is an elaborate hoax. :rolleyes:
Science cant make up its mind one decade its a coming ice age then next its global warming soon WW3 . What happened to the rain forest ? lots or carbon dioxide consuming trees gone . Like I said if you cant convince the average Joe you need to nudge them . Blame your politicians because they wanted to use the issue to enrich themselves and their friends not a hoax just payed shills pushing a agenda to stifle growth and make us live like Europeans .

Science cant make up its mind one decade its a coming ice age then next its global warming soon WW3 . <snip>

Yet again, instead of responding directly to the previous issue(s) raised, you shift to others which are equally incorrect, and without even acknowledging corrections or refutations provided.

Nature: The great global cooling myth

“In the 1970s, all the scientists were saying an ice age was coming.” This seems to be a popular sentiment echoed in blogs and novels aimed at challenging the consensus views regarding future climate change. It was even a key theme in Michael Crichton’s State of Fear , when a character suggests that scientists only jumped on the global warming bandwagon in a bid to secure funding.

But a new article in the Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society challenges the idea of a ‘global cooling ’ consensus. Thomas Peterson of NOAA teamed with William Connolley of the British Antarctic survey and science reporter John Fleck to create a survey of peer-reviewed climate literature from the 1970s. Looking at every paper that dealt with climate change projections or an aspect of climate forcing from 1965 to 1979, they were able to assess the ‘trends’ in the literature. They found that only 7 of the 71 total papers surveyed predicted global cooling. The vast majority (44) actually predicted that rising atmospheric carbon dioxide could lead to global warming.
The paper itself: The Myth of the 1970s Global Cooling Scientific Consensus
(Link to complete .pdf here)

You're regurgitating old bunk. The question is: why?

Leave politics the heck outta objective scientific inquiry.
If that had happened, the claim of Global Warming would never have gotten anywhere. It's what keeps it going.
It's such a convenient power and money opportunity. Yes, even for scientists. If you don't support anthropogenic global warming, you don't get the grants and you don't get published.

This same thing has always been happening about as long as humans have been recording it, and about 10,000BC or so as the last major global cooling was ending and glaciers started melting back... some old dude was telling his grandchildren "yeah back in my day, we had to walk at least a week in the snow to get to the ocean!" "I blame the Northern folk! They made the gods angry!" and so on. :p

If that had happened, the claim of Global Warming would never have gotten anywhere. It's what keeps it going.
It's such a convenient power and money opportunity. Yes, even for scientists. If you don't support anthropogenic global warming, you don't get the grants and you don't get published.

I don't know a lot of scientists who study science for power like you suggest. I also know a lot of scientists who don't make very much. Perhaps you could qualify this statement with some data and show the correlations between funding and research results. You do have expert data to back you up right? Or is this a drive-by shooting type or argument?

This same thing has always been happening about as long as humans have been recording it, and about 10,000BC or so as the last major global cooling was ending and glaciers started melting back... some old dude was telling his grandchildren "yeah back in my day, we had to walk at least a week in the snow to get to the ocean!" "I blame the Northern folk! They made the gods angry!" and so on. :p

Partially true. However showing climate changed in the past due to natural causes in no way establishes that climate now is changing due to natural causes.

Climate reacts to whatever is the dominant forcing at the time. We have periods where we can tell sun was the dominant forcing for warming. We also have a period from the 1950s on where we can tell that anthropogenic contributions are the dominant forcing.

Back