NYT: GIMBAL Video of U.S. Navy Jet Encounter with Unknown Object

Getoffthisplanet

Make the clouds as dark as they appear in the Gimbal video. There's a very low contrast between the tone of the clouds and the sky, but your example has a very high contrast.

Nice.

blurred_clouds_w_unsharp_mask_02.gif

I should probably stick something in there to represent the object, but in this case it would be difficult to see the results of the unsharp mask process on the clouds.

Getoffthisplanet

So, why is Fravor out there saying there is a "force field" around the Gimbal object?

Again, shouldn't he be familiar with this or shouldn't someone at least have told him the aura is the result of image sharpening?

Agent K

If the aura was caused by an unsharp mask process wouldn't/shouldn't Fravor be well familiar with its characteristics or would this sort of minutia be strictly under the purview of the WSO?

The WSO would know this for sure, and I'd expect the pilot to be familiar with it since it's the pilots and/or WSO's who request more image sharpening. How do single-seat F-18E pilots operate without a WSO? Are they trained more than the F-18F tandem-seat pilots?

igoddard

Air speed is 241 Knots, 277mph, so in 10 seconds the jet would have travelled 0.77 miles.
Why is that conversation of knots to mph the conversion we should use?

That's the conversion of CAS to TAS-mph at sea level...

@ http://www.hochwarth.com/misc/AviationCalculator.html#CASMachTASEAS

But that does not match the ATFLIR's altitude of 25k ft, it also does not match the Mach number on the ATFLIR screen of 0.58. But if we enter an altitude of 25k ft, it matches the screen data but TAS-mph goes up to 403 mph.

Sorting this out is necessary to determine the circumference of the circle the Navy jet travels as well as the distance traveled. How can we model the situation correctly if we're using seal-level data for a jet at 25k feet?

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
241 knots IS 277 mph, regardless of altitude. There's not question there. It's like converting from mph to km/h At the time I wrote that (Dec 2017) I was unaware that the HUD numbers were CAS not TAS (I only realized that when looking at the Go Fast video later), so I was not converting from CAS to TAS, I was converting from knots to mph. The result is incorrect because I should ALSO have converted from CAS to TAS.

The calculator you link to is doing TWO conversions. It's converting CAS to TAS, and it's converting knots to mph. You can make it just do the TAS -> CAS conversion. Like here I'm just doing it in knots.

Metabunk 2019-10-07 10-52-54.jpg
TAS (True airspeed) is what should be used, regardless of if it's in Knots, mph, fps, kph, or whatever. I'm not arguing with that at all. The problem here is when you say:

You seem to think that converting from knots to mph is some kind of conversion that changes with altitude. It's not. It's just multiplying by 1.15078.

igoddard

TAS (True airspeed) is what should be used, regardless of if it's in Knots, mph, fps, kph, or whatever. I'm not arguing with that at all. The problem here is when you say:

So the correct TAS-mph to use in the circumference equation is 403 mph, not 277 mph?

You seem to think that converting from knots to mph is some kind of conversion that changes with altitude. It's not. It's just multiplying by 1.15078.
No, all I've thought is what I've shown, that CAS --> TAS outputs differ by altitude, and that's true whether it's CAS(knots) --> TAS(mph) or CAS(knots) --> TAS(knots).

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
So the correct TAS-mph to use in the circumference equation is 403 mph, not 277 mph?
403 mph is the correct airspeed to use.

No, all I've thought is what I've shown, that CAS --> TAS outputs differ by altitude, and that's true whether it's CAS(knots) --> TAS(mph) or CAS(knots) --> TAS(knots).

Then there's no problem, it just wasn't really very clear when you said:
There seems to be an error in your calculations based on your assuming 241 Knots = 277 mph, which, however, is only true at sea level. At 25,000 ft altitude, 241 Knots = 403 mph (see my last reply above).
Which looked like you were only discussing Knots -> mph

gtoffo

There seems to be an error in your calculations based on your assuming 241 Knots = 277 mph, which, however, is only true at sea level. At 25,000 ft altitude, 241 Knots = 403 mph (see my last reply above). Using the sea-level conversion for the Navy jet results in an underestimate of the circumference of the circle it travels, which you give as

((277/60)/60) * (360/1.4) = 19.8 miles

but which should instead be

((403/60)/60) * (360/1.4) = 28.8 miles

That larger circle may place the UFO further away. I'm not trying to be a nitpicking nag, just wanting to nail down exactly what the Navy jet's path was, because we can only know where or if the LOS angles (54˚L and 6˚R) intersect if we know the Navy jet's precise path. And it seems to me that it traveled about 3.4 miles around a circle with a circumference of about 29 miles.

There's another assumption in your above analysis that bugs me, which is: "If we take the target position as essentially fixed..." But what if it was not fixed? That assumption seems to set the UFO's position from the start, yet I want to find out what that position was, if possible. I suspect the best that can be done is to describe a range of possible flight-path scenarios as opposed to one definitive scenario. That the target was essentially fixed may be just one possible scenario.

I totally agree we could make some reasonable hypothesis. @Mick West could you show your mathematical model for the static UFO hypothesis updated with the correct turn radius? It would help visualise ranges I think.

The pilots say: "they are all going against the wind. The wind is 120 knots to the west". Could we use that to make another "moving UFO" scenario?
Could we use the brightness of the clouds to estimate where the sun is and therefore where "the west" is?
Given the brightest part of the clouds is at the bottom I would say the sun is probably behind the observer (or the top would be illuminated) so that would give us a general "south" as behind the observer and the left side of the screen would be west? So the apparent movement is somewhat confirmed by the pilot's statements. We should simulate the movement in that direction.

Also the 120kts will drift the F-18 sideways making its trajectory in real space more of a spiral rather than a circumference but I guess we can ignore that as the wind is uniform on both the object and the F-18.

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
V GIMBAL Video: Simulating the ATFLIR Tracking and Gimbal Rotation UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 20
Mick West Original Flir1, Gimbal, and Go Fast UFO "Raw" Video Files UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 33
Mick West Why Michio Kaku is wrong about the UFO Burden of Proof & Navy Videos UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 32
Mick West TFTRH #22: Seth Shostak: SETI Senior Astronomer: ETs, UFO "Disclosure" Area 51 Tales From the Rabbit Hole Podcast 3
Getoffthisplanet Flir1, Go Fast, Gimbal - Navy Releases New Information: Official Dates UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 9
Mick West Gimbal Lock and Derotation in FLIR/ATFLIR systems UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 29
Mick West TTSA's Form DD-1910 for FLIR, Go Fast, and Gimbal videos UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 69
Mick West The Shape and Size of Glare Around Bright Lights UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 42
Mick West Debunked: Video of Poll Worker "Filling In" Ballots. Election 2020 3
Trailblazer Reutlingen Fake UFO Video 2013 UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 3
Rocky Gettysburg 'ghosts’ run across road [Windscreen smudge] General Discussion 4
D Falmouth "Shadow Creature" Video [Black Cat?] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 10
G Belarus demonstration video Current Events 2
M Fast moving object "intersecting clouds" in Hungarian YouTuber's video [Insect] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 2
U Looking for debunkings of the “Plandemic” video Coronavirus COVID-19 17
Jesse3959 Being seen from space - methods to demonstrate that sats are real and provide live video? Flat Earth 6
R Claim: Apollo 15-17 Live TV Feed - Antenna signal would be interrupted from all the violent shaking when Astronauts touch the buggy General Discussion 26
J Identifying the Mountains in JTolan's "Rocky Mountains" IR Video Flat Earth 31
Mick West Explained: RARE Video Footage of "Alien Space Craft" WATCHING ISS Astronaut! UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 1
Wizard Mexican UFO Video? [Oil Rigs] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 6
Mick West Simulating the Nimitz UFO video as a blurry plane UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 51
jarlrmai UFO video in Arizona from Reddit Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 22
Trailblazer Explained: video of concentric circular "chemtrails" (E-3 Sentry AWACS plane, Feb 1 2019) Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 3
Mick West Old USAF "UFO" Video Mentioned By Chris Mellon Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 15
mudr0 Need Debunking: Video claiming zigzaggin objects and movement prove EVA filmed in pool General Discussion 33
Ravi Utah Drone video of UFO [Probably an insect] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 126
Mick West Blowing out Candles with a Single Punch General Discussion 47
Mick West Some New-ish WTC7 Photos (and video?) Corner Damage 9/11 6
B Bob Lazar 1989 Video Analysis Method UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 1
MisterB Debunked: Isle of Man from Blackpool at water level proves flat earth [refraction] Flat Earth 19
deirdre Debunked: Lights chasing each other carving holes in clouds (fake video, fallstreak holes) Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 17
StarGazer SpaceX Falcon 9 Captures Video of its own Contrail from Space UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 17
T FE balloon video curvature analysis using Blender Flat Earth 4
Mick West Explained: Viral Video of 787 Leaving Thick Contrails with Forced Perspective Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 1
Astro Debunked: Astronaut's Arm Fades During ISS Video Proving "Green Screening" Science and Pseudoscience 1
Trailblazer Jet Airways intercept video "UFO" (airliner, flight LH998 or LH66?) Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 14
penk CNN Greenscreened a guy on a ship? [No] General Discussion 12
Mick West Explained: Chilean Navy "UFO" video - Aerodynamic Contrails, Flight IB6830 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 186
Mick West Debunked: Video of "Islamics Marching Through Berlin" [Biker Gangs] General Discussion 4
Mick West Close Up Videos of Contrails Forming And Evolving Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 19
M Bornong "Something Strange" - Hurriyah car bombing video seems staged General Discussion 50
Mick West P900 Plane and Contrails Photos and Video Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 17
mik Lots of wingtip vortices in a FiAF exercise demo video Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 0
Mick West Video of New Orleans Superdome Illustrating Curvature and Refraction Flat Earth 5
Clouds Givemethewillies Automated Video Tracking of Planes Tools for Investigating and Debunking 42
C Strange Flickering in Contrail Video Posted in Earlier Thread [Focussing artifacts] Contrails and Chemtrails 7
Leifer Polite video interviewing/debunking Practical Debunking 8
F Explained: Video of plane leaving "6 chemtrails, then 2" [Mixed Exhaust and Aerodynamic Contrails] Contrails and Chemtrails 6
Trailspotter Formation and Evolution of a Contrail Grid - Satellite Time-Lapse Video Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 22
SamBST Video of hot steel bending 9/11 43
Related Articles

Related Articles